Window of opportunity

Discussion in 'Trying to Conceive' started by Lou1103, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Lou1103

Lou1103 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,
    Currently waiting to try just wanted to check something.. I usually ovulate on cycle day 14-16... If i want to avoid ovulation am i right in thinking i shouldnt have unprotected sex from cycle day 9? And then how long after ovulation should i avoid?

Thank you xxx

2. FrecklesMcGee

FrecklesMcGee Well-Known Member

Well....hmmm....the only advice I can give is that even if you usually ovulate day 14-16, our bodies aren't always predictable and you never know if you know if you might ovulate early or late...the only given is that the egg is only viable 12-24 hours before it starts to breakdown, so if you know when you ovulate wait a few days before you have sex.....sperm can live 72 hours and in some cases a little longer, and up to 5 days on occasion...so if you truly know when you ovulate, I'd say a good 5 days before and 2-3 days after would be the safest, BUT unless you really truly know the exact time you ovulate there is always a chance you will get pregnant....perhaps use condoms around your ovulation time if you are trying to prevent pregnancy.....it sounds like you have the right idea...good luck!

3. Lou1103

Lou1103 Well-Known Member

Thank you hun :) yeah if we dtd around that time we'll use condoms :) i am pretty sure i wont ov before day 14 and will do tests just to make sure lol thanks again :) xxx