Why is caster oil not recommended to help bring on labour anymore?

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by lrb, Feb 20, 2012.

1. lrb

lrb Well-Known Member

Sorry I know it's not something your suppose to take but wondered why? Both my aunties did and worked both times? Thanks

2. lyndsey_28

lyndsey_28 Well-Known Member

as it can cause baby to open his/her bowel inside of you and then if they swallow it, its considered dangerous to baby xxx

3. vickib_1984

vickib_1984 Well-Known Member

And also can bring on fast labour midwives really hate it xxx

4. BabyBrain

BabyBrain Well-Known Member

If they inhale poo on the way out it can cause severe lung infections. Also it's not guaranteed to actually bring on contractions so you spend hours with a burning bum for no reason xxxxxxxx

5. mummy2b19

mummy2b19 Well-Known Member

All of the above it also causes sickness abdominal pain and severe diahrea. Can't imagin trying to push a baby out with a bad case of the runs can't imagin it would be pretty Hun xx

6. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

The reason is they say it can cause baby to open bowels - but latest research on this apparently says this may be a load of rubbish. The problem is most of the people who use castor oil are already over due, and that in itself makes baby more likely to open their bowels.

Xxx

7. lrb

lrb Well-Known Member

So you think if it was used before baby us over due it's less likely for baby to open bowel?X

8. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

Tbh I dunno. The research I read just said they couldn't really seperate the two, not enough people take it before being 40wks to determine this. Sounds dodgy but have a scout round google, I try and have a look on google scholar so you get research papers rather that forums etc which give people opinions etc.

At end of day it's another one of those things where it's up to you if you want to risk it. Xxx

9. hellywelly

hellywelly Well-Known Member

I just wouldn't do it cause it tastes like s**t!!!!! ha ha!!

10. muffinferon

muffinferon Well-Known Member

My mum took it when overdue with me and swore it did the job as 3hours later contractions started, although she had major diarroeah first lol. I had been thinking of trying it soonish too to see if start anything as so uncomfy now just over 37weeks, but didn't know the potential bad points of it!

11. Levi89

Levi89 Well-Known Member

I was recommended it by a friend who swears by it to - shes had four kids and it worked with three of them! Although she never warned me of the side effects! :| xx

12. lrb

lrb Well-Known Member

Yeah I never knew these side effects so going to try google it some more. Think if I use it it's gonna have to be a last resort x