Why are some babys realy big?

carrie

Reaction score
Hi, when i saw the midwife my uterus had grown 4 cm in 2 weeks which is alot i know it can stop growing but my bump is bigger also, im only 5ft5 and did weigh 9 stone the good old days. lol but now im 11st 2 pound all my weight is on my stomache i havent put weight anywhere else... the father of the baby is tall and slim too but the baby is about 1 cm and a half bigger than it should be., I unfortunatly smoke which is terrible but i just cant stop due to stresses but it says smoking causes low birth weight.. i just woundered how can some babys be big when parents are small.. my partner when he was born weighed 8pound13 i weighed 7pound11 could it be becuase we were good sized ?

hi. some babies are just really big (or at least seem to be by the size of the bump). i also have a very big bump which had grown 5cm in the last 9 days. i was quite worried but my midwife was really reasuring, she told me that bumps come in all different shapes and sizes and noone can be accurate of the size until the baby arrives. some reasons that your bump may be big could be because yuo have a lot of fluid surrounding it which is making your s.f height large or your baby may be positioned so that he is pushing against your abdominal wall making it look larger and taking up more space. i hope this hasa helped a little bit. :D

Your baby will only grow as big as your pelvis can let out - you shouldn't end up with a 13lb one!! Apparently babies are similar to their parents (meaning mine will be a big one!).

HTH x

lol..i just wondered how it can be bigger than it should be when i havnt given up smoking :cry: .

i do get alot of fluid round my anckles, the bottom of my legs and on my fingers.. my bumb one day looks small n i have a belly button lol other days when its puching its bumb right out lol i cant see my belly button lol... but i think the baby is more long than big..

Does anyone have good ways of trying to guess the sex of the baby? :p

There are a million ways you can 'apparently' tell. One is p[utting a coin upright on your belly and depending on which way it turns and faces up - means boy or girl - cant remember which is which though! (sorry that was no help eh!)

Heartbeat speed is another one apparently.

Ermmm, there areloads, but none are guarenteed except asking a sonographer!

If you want to have a more acurate guess than old wives tales, you can get a good idea by knowing how the baby was conceved as 'male' and 'female' sperm behave differently and have different charcteristics.
Do you know which particular 'session' resulted in your pregnancy?

Apparantly if the sperm that you concieved with was present before ovualtion you get a girl, if you concieve with sperm that comes along at the time of, or after ovlulation, you get a boy. This is because male sperm swim faster but die quicker and female sperm are slower but last longer. It's not an old wifes tale it's true!!

Ah really! Ummm, well I would of O'd on the 5th May, but no idea when we BD coz we wern't trying - I know we did over the weekend before but i don't think they last that long do they? I O'd on a Thursday and came back from london on Monday and prob BD then!

Good chance of a boy then I'd say!!

I think I'm having a boy, I don't know why, I can't even remember when we BD, but I have a really strong feeling...

I was convinced I was having a boy up until bout a week ago (it's roughly now the sex is/has been decided I think). Now I think it's a girl because it's so troublesome! :? So who know's. Can't wait to find out though!.

Yeah apparantly the sex is decided before it even fertilizes cos each sperm is girl or boy sperm. I'm gonna find out at 20 week scan if I can are you?

I meant the willy or the noo noo (silly name i know!) develop about this time lol :lol:

Ha ha, noo noo?! Never heard that one before lol!!!

It's what my best mate's daughter now calls it - I dunno where it came from - but I still use it :oops: Don't like the words fanny or vagina much lol - first I use too commonly as an insult ! Second is too clinical! The word willy is okie I guess.

Bits are always a funny topic I think....

I Think im having a boy, i get the feeling i am.Can anyone guess from what i write if its a boy or girl lol..

im carrying all my weight at the front,
i havent put weight on anywhere else,
it moves all the time lol,
its already in the birth position,
its about 1 and a half cm bigger than it should be,
The heart beat is loud and strong, it sounds fast but i think they all do
im suposed to be 31 weeks but the size of the uterus is 32 n a half cm.

I dont know if anyone could guess from this lol...

My mate had all this and had a girl :shock:

I'd go with your gut gut feeling - quite a few people are often right.

Okay heres the science bit, no old wives tales and the like this is scientifically fact.
'male' sperm is weaker than 'female' sperm and therefore less tolerant of acidic conditions of the uterus. As a result it dosent live as long as 'female' sperm. However 'male' sperm is faster so will reach the egg quicker. So if you had sex very close or when you ovulated the male sperm stands a better chance than say if you had sex 2-3 days before ovulation. Also if you orgasmed during the event this makes the conditions of your uterus more alkaline, so male sperm survival is greater. Also if you have sex where you gain greater penetration ie doggy position, males get a head start. Also testicle temperature plays a role, so if your man has well, hot sweaty knackers or wears tight fitting underwear lew male spern survive plus if you have sex frequently the male sperm is reduced, therefore if you want a boy your man should wear lose boxers and take a cold bath before sex, you sould go without sex for a few days to get the mans sperm count up and have sex in a deep penetration position as close to ovulation as possible and you should try to orgasm, either during or just after intercourse. and if you want a girl you do the opposite!
Hope that all made sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back