Who's at fault?

GF91

Reaction score
We live in a rented property, and our landlord arranged do for some repairs to be carried out on the exterior of the house which was due to start last Monday. The workmen came, and soon postponed work due to the weather, and rescheduled to start today (again it's been postponed because of the weather) our landlord was here and him, myself and the workmen all had a conversation that work would be postponed therefore no one would be on site until today. So last Tuesday (as no one was meant to be on site) I went out, leaving my 3 dogs inside of my house (nothing new there) I was only gone for 2 hours, while I was out- workmen and/or scaffolders had been to the house, in the garden and moved the scaffolding and been on the roof. My male dog, being so distressed that there was people that he could hear and see but couldn't get to- laid rip into my sofa (10month old sofa I'd like to add) doing over a thousand pounds worth of damage. ( I couldn't tell him off, totally not his fault- he's just protecting his house) The sofa is insured- but the ammount of damage he's caused isn't covered on our policy, but the insurance company have told us that it would be better for us just to buy a new sofa because of colour matching.
I've phoned my landlord and complained- sending him pictures via email of the damage, and also forwarding him the email from the insurance company detailing the work and their advise, but as yet (surprise surprise) no response.
Contractors are saying it was the scaffolders, scaffolders saying it's the contractors.
It states in my tenancy that damages to my property have to be repaired and or replaced?
Has anyone been in a similar situation?

I've not been in this situ but it sounds a tough one. I think the landlord should puay out then take it up with the contractor. They hadn't given notice that day to be on or around the property.

However I'm no expert and there's probably loop holes from either party where they can try deny blame.

Best people to speak to is your local citizens advice and they'll tell you exactly who should be paying and the steps to claim the money or new sofa back.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

xxxxx

My first question is, who let the workmen in?

x

I think they were on the property as in on the roof. If not I've read it wrong in indeed what the hell!? :rofl:

xxxxx

They weren't in the house, they where outside- but they came round the back and through my gate which was wide open when I returned x

Ah, I see. I think it's going to be tricky to get anyone to admit they're at fault, possibly because it's more than one party who is so they can all points fingers at someone else.

If they went into your garden without your permission then isn't that trespass of some kind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back