Who started weaning at 4 months

MelissaLindley

Reaction score
Who started weaning at the old guidelines of 4 months instead of the new recommended 6 months?

What we're your experiences, do you wish you'd waited, did you encounter any problems/allergies etc?
Did you start at 6 months but feel you could have started earlier?

I know the main reason is prevent allergies (neither me or hubby or siblings have any and were weaned at 4 months) but to me it seems there are a hell of a lot more kids with allergies today than people of my generation?

X
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

we started at 4 and a half. DD has had a reaction to egg, and occasionally gets a rash that we'rnsure if its food related or teeth.

she got hold of food and started chomping on it - so there was NO doubt she was ready. personally id wait till the true signs of weaning show - watching eat and putting things in mouth are false sign -just normal milestones. baby should be abble to sit with little/no support, grab thing effectively, put in their mouth accurately and quicjky, and make chewing motions. x

I stared ruby at 17 weeks with homemade veg Puree , we favourite was butternut squash . Ruby since birth has always been a very hungry baby and still is now and she is fully weaning . There was no way I could of waited until 6 month to start weaning .

Xxxx

Jack was 4 months when we started. He has no allergies at all. He's always loved his grub! :) x

We've started introducing tastes but we're not weaning. In other words he has all his usual amount of milk but twice a day he has tastes of fruit or veg.

We started at 17 1/2 weeks after chatting to our health visitor. My hubby felt B was ready but I wasn't sure but I was wrong! B loves food!

Ive just given him banana, mango and pear and planning on Avacado next.

We don't purée as he doesn't like it (what a waste of money buying pouches was lol!)
I just soften the food between my fingers and give to him but quite often he just picks it up and puts it in his mouth. Mango he will suck on quite happily!

Is your LO showing signs? X

I'm planning to wait until 6 months. She's only a tiny baby on the 2nd centile and seems content on milk,
If she appears hungry then I might consider starting early. After weighing up the risks x

Using tapatalk can't see tickers

Planing on starting at 5 and 1/2 months.
But Amelie is a big baby and got warned by the health visitor and the pediatrician that she may need early weaning to keep up her caloric needs.
But by early they both meant 5 months not earlier.
I heard though before people doing it at 4 months with no apparent immediate problems.
Regardless what you decide the most important if you start early is to stay away from gluten until the recommended age as this can cause serious problems in some Los. Ofc some will wean at 3m and be ok that Dosent mean that will apply to my or your LO too...

We started blw at 24 weeks, he is enjoying it but still not eating that much xx

We started at 4 months and three weeks and my LO is a little trouper who eats anything and everything. We have never pureed either just fork mashed and throw in some finger food everyday and she seems fine.

Tbh UK is full of coeliacs, not sure if its connected but the advice was to wean very early before. My DH was weaned at 8 weeks and he has numerous allergies and asthma

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

My MIL fed my DH weetabix from 5wks! Which I think is absolutely ridiculous. She says he was hungry and needed it. But my DH has no allergies and never gets sick.
I was weaned at 4 months and I'm fine.
My DD is 14wks and she is starting to show interest in everything I'm eating so I'm starting to give her tastes of wat I'm eating just off the tip of my finger.

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

My MIL fed my DH weetabix from 5wks! Which I think is absolutely ridiculous. She says he was hungry and needed it. But my DH has no allergies and never gets sick.
I was weaned at 4 months and I'm fine.
My DD is 14wks and she is starting to show interest in everything I'm eating so I'm starting to give her tastes of wat I'm eating just off the tip of my finger.

Tapatalking from my blackberry!

Yay, so glad to hear this Jay, I've been too nervous to let her try tastes so far because of the doom and gloom warnings.

I'm planning to start giving a spoonful of baby rice in a week or two if she wants it, and at 17 weeks ish (if she can wait til then) start giving her fruit and veg flavours. I won't be doing blw as I will puree (already started in fact) but I will be totally guided by her, as I am with everything else.

I will start steaming fruit and veg and giving her whatever she wants of this to munch on from about christmas time (maybe santa will bring me an electric steamer!! :p ) but I will be avoiding gluten, egg and dairy xx

Last edited:
Well I tried a bit of baby rice this morning lol. We both ended up covered in it!
I thought a bit of rice once a day for a week iron two won't hurt so he can just get used to texture :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I started with my first at 11 weeks, although my hv couldn't agree with it, she did tell me that some babies need it earlier and that she'd done the same with her kids! She was a very big and hungry baby and milk just wasn't filling her! She's never had any tummy issues or allergies and will eat almost anything! Current favourite is Brie and French stick :lol:

My mum told me when i was younger, it was 12 weeks. I have no food allergies, only allergic to iodine on my skin and that's it.
I started weaning abi at 17 weeks (her consultant agreed this was a good move) and she loves it. I started on fruit and veg purees. We tok it quite slow with her and now she is on 3 meals a day and between 20 - 22oz milk. She is just starting to have more finger foods and is loving it :) xx

My baby is currently 18 weeks and I started giving him baby rice at 16 weeks, moving onto puréed fruit and veg at 17 weeks. He is a hungry baby weighing 19lb at 4 months and after persisting with the hungry baby formula, early weaning has definitely been the best thing for him- no regrets here! x

Iv just started now at 20 weeks. Did give some baby rice from 16 weeks but she didn't like it. And switching to hungry baby milk seemed to keep her going (on normal formula she was taking 8oz and only going 2 hours!!). She seems to be loving the odd bit of food now! Even if it does go EVERYWHERE! Lol

after 16 weeks i let alyssa have the tinyest bit of things i was eating if she wanted them, i started weaning properly when she started screaming and throwing a fit when i ate and she didnt have any lol. i gave her a rusk and when she managed to pretty much eat it all by herself i figured that she was ready to have food. she could sit up unaided by 4 months and was a big baby at 10lb 14oz when born so even tho i started at 21 weeks i felt she was really ready and id held off as long as i could.

H was 18 weeks and so ready for it! I think it varies with each child, if they show no interest and are being satisfied by milk then leave it but I know people who waited till 6 months and regretted it as they knew they needed it before!
Xxx

I started at 16 weeks! Stanley has always been a hungry baby too as was my first!! We started on steamed veg. Then added bits as we went along, he now has 3 meals a day, 2 small snack and between 18-20oz milk a day :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back