Who pre-makes all formula feeds for the day?

Lynds77

Reaction score
Going on from another topic....

Does everyone make their powder formula feeds up fresh each time or do you make a few up in the morning and keep them in the fridge?

We are using ready made just now as little one has no routine yet so we can't make bottles up 30 mins before she wants one.

Am wanting to try hipp organic, and have ordered some ready made 200ml cartons. Are they a pain to heat? Someone said you need to get temp exactly right or the good bacteria gets killed?

I make a few feeds up to keep me going and my lo is fine so I dunno what the fuss is about xx

If you make them up and store them in the fridge, do you leave them to go cold on the side before putting in fridge or do they go straight in fridge. Also do you leave water to cool in kettle for 30 mins before you put in the bottle? Xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My lo has been on HiPP since she was born & when she was about 2-3 months they changed it with this friendly bacteria, it was only recently thru a posr on here that i heard if the water is too hot it kills the friendly bacteria .. tbh i cant really comment on that part but ic an say Aila has never been sick.

This is what i do and always have done with bottles (if i havnt used the ready made that is)

I will boil kettle and let it cool for 30 mins (the only reason i do this is because i use MAM bottles and if i use water thats too hot the bottles leak and ive to clean a swimming pool of formula in the fridge an hour later :)

So i use the cooled boiled water make up all my bottles for the day and once they are luke warm i put them all in the fridge. Then when Aila wants one ill take it out & heat it in the microwave.

With the ready made if im out she usually has it at room temp which doesnt bother her but if i am heating it i just pop it in microwave for 30-50 secs depending on microwave strength and how much is in bottle :) I will say that when baby gets older you cant much rely on the cartons because if ur baby is like Aila with some feeds she takes more than the 200ml thats in one carton xxx

and .. breath ha ! x

My lo has been on HiPP since she was born & when she was about 2-3 months they changed it with this friendly bacteria, it was only recently thru a posr on here that i heard if the water is too hot it kills the friendly bacteria .. tbh i cant really comment on that part but ic an say Aila has never been sick.

This is what i do and always have done with bottles (if i havnt used the ready made that is)

I will boil kettle and let it cool for 30 mins (the only reason i do this is because i use MAM bottles and if i use water thats too hot the bottles leak and ive to clean a swimming pool of formula in the fridge an hour later :)

So i use the cooled boiled water make up all my bottles for the day and once they are luke warm i put them all in the fridge. Then when Aila wants one ill take it out & heat it in the microwave.

With the ready made if im out she usually has it at room temp which doesnt bother her but if i am heating it i just pop it in microwave for 30-50 secs depending on microwave strength and how much is in bottle :) I will say that when baby gets older you cant much rely on the cartons because if ur baby is like Aila with some feeds she takes more than the 200ml thats in one carton xxx

and .. breath ha ! x

Thanks :) sorry another question, what do you do overnight because dont you have to keep them in the fridge? Xx

Aila sleeps from 7-7am so im usually lucky .. usually! i will always have a carton in the press just in case she has a night where she will wake. But yeah ur right i forgot to say il have one that i will make right before going to bed so it will be ready for the morning adn if i havnt then i usually distract her with some water first until its ready. Ive been known to get caught out and leave boiling water in the freezer trying to cool it quicker.

If bottles are left in fridge they are usually good for 24hours but no bottle will ever be left there 24 hours :)

and .. breath ha ! x

Thanks :) sorry another question, what do you do overnight because dont you have to keep them in the fridge? Xx

I don't use formula, but I use expressed breast milk, and I had the fridge problem. I bought a tabletop fridge for upstairs to keep it in so I dont have to go up and down stairs all night. Its an absolute godsend, honestly. My favourite investment to date

Brill thanks :) at the moment I have cool boiled water in bottles on the side then add powder when needed and heat in bottle warmer xx

I pour the water into a thermal flask so it stays at the right temperature and i pre-measure oit the formula into pots. Takes less than a minute to make up a bottle.

XX

I used to put boiled water in the bottles and leave them on the side, used to add the formula when it was needed. When dd was little i was told that you shouldnt use a made up bottle if its older than an hour - dont know if thats the same now though.
Keeping the water on the side worked well, and cus it was already room temp if we did need to warm it up it didnt take long. Trying to warm up cold water from a fridge with a screaming baby used to feel like it took forever to get warm!!

I used to make 6 up for Charlie in the morning it never did any harm at all.

I use HiPP milk too, and pretty much do the same as kaytee11.

On the packet of the new powdered stuff it says to make the bottles when the kettle is 40-50 degrees, as any hotter and it will kill the good bacteria. However powdered milk is not sterile - therefore according to the Department of Health and the World Health Organisation, the water needs to be at least 70 degrees to kill any bad bacteria. Personally I'd rather have no bacteria in his bottles than risk the bad stuff!

Also - Greyson seems to love the stuff - it's soooo much better for him than his previous milks!

I make up 4 at a time, when cool I put them in the fridge. Then heat them for 20secs in microwave xxx

When I make my sons nighttime bottle I also make an extra 2 and put them on fridge. One for if he wakes during night and one for when he gets up in morning. If he doesn't wake, I use that bottle in his cereal. I also just put both bottles in fridge right away, and don't wait 30mins for water to cool d

LSent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I don't use formula, but I use expressed breast milk, and I had the fridge problem. I bought a tabletop fridge for upstairs to keep it in so I dont have to go up and down stairs all night. Its an absolute godsend, honestly. My favourite investment to date[/QUOTE]

Tweetyfoo- do you give LO ebf chilled? I made some up and kept it cold then gave it to him which seemed to go down well!

I still give LO ready made formula if we are out but when I do eventually combo feed with powder someone suggested put half the amount if water boiled then cooled in fridge then when you need it pop other half of boiling water with formula which brings it to room temp. Does anyone do that?
Xx

LSent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't use formula, but I use expressed breast milk, and I had the fridge problem. I bought a tabletop fridge for upstairs to keep it in so I dont have to go up and down stairs all night. Its an absolute godsend, honestly. My favourite investment to date[/QUOTE]

Tweetyfoo- do you give LO ebf chilled? I made some up and kept it cold then gave it to him which seemed to go down well!

I still give LO ready made formula if we are out but when I do eventually combo feed with powder someone suggested put half the amount if water boiled then cooled in fridge then when you need it pop other half of boiling water with formula which brings it to room temp. Does anyone do that?
Xx[/QUOTE]

I do that sometimes in the day, I don't put it in fridge tho, just leave them on the side. Works well xx

I make up 5 at a time and allow them to cool before they go in the fridge xxx

Aaron won't take it chilled! He likes it warmed a.little ... We have a bottle warmer, it's brilliant! X

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

I used to make 5 up at once then put then in cold water to cool, then in the fridge.. Now that she's older now and her feeds are structured I only make one bottle up for morning feed at 7am.. We have a mini fridge in the bedroom so I don't have to go downstairs.. And then I just make her bottles up fresh for the rest of the day..

It would have been impossible to make fresh bottles up though when she was younger, I would have had a screaming baby waiting for the kettle to cool down..x

I make up the day's bottles in advance, using ready made stuff got too expensive xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back