Who is planning on Breastfeeding?

Eveadel

Reaction score
Just wondering if you was??

I am hoping to

Hello, Yes I am planning to breastfeed!

I have done no research in bottle feeding, so I really hope I can breastfeed!

Do you know if they help with bottle feeding at the hospital if its not possiable? silly question really, they must other wise baby would get no food!! sorry!

Jadie

That would be a very firm no.

I breastfed my daughter for 6 weeks and it was a nightmare. I was very lucky and didn't get sore nipples at all, but she was feeding every 90 minutes day and night for 6 weeks. At the end of it, I resented her so much and just wanted someone to take her away from me. :( I know that makes me sound like a horrible mother, but I couldn't help feeling that way at the time. Also because I was breastfeeding, my ex couldn't do anything to help, so I ended up doing everything. Even once she was on formula, he still didn't feed her or lift a finger to help in any other way.

I know the saying is that breast is best, but not in all situations is it best for both mother and baby. I also know that this time around could be completely different, but I don't even want to take the chance.

I went and bought my steriliser and bottles last Saturday!!

Saying all that though, my hat goes off to those mums who do breastfeed. Especially those that do it for months! :shock:

yes I am hoping I can breast feed too. Well I am hoping to express really.

I want the baby to have all the goodness but I am worried if I breastfeed I will not know how much the baby is getting but if you bottle feed you can tell.

I spoke to a friend at the weekend who has a 2 year old and she managed to breast feed for 10 days but could not express, she said it just would not come out!

So I have decided to just see how it all goes, if I can then great but if I can't I am not going to beat myself up about it.

Keely xxxx

Hi Keely

I am hoping to but like you said I will give it a go but will not beat myself up if Im unable. What I am confused about is that they try to discourage you from using a bottle when feeding expressed milk and to try a spoon or cup???? As the difference in your nipple to the teat are different - has anybody else heard this?

yes I have heard this too, you also can not give them a dummy.

But if I do manage to express I will stop on the breast (I am not sure I still like the thought of a baby on my boob all the time!! haha) :lol:

Keely xxx

When I breastfed my daughter I got to the point where i was so tired that during the night my partner would give her a bottle of formula milk. It didn't make any difference to her and she would go back to the breast in the day. I know they try to discourage certain things but only us as mothers can really decide and it will be what's best for us and the baby.

Nikki

Oh that sounds promising Kelsey, I will hopefully give this a go if I have to

Eveadel said:
Hi Keely

What I am confused about is that they try to discourage you from using a bottle when feeding expressed milk and to try a spoon or cup???? As the difference in your nipple to the teat are different - has anybody else heard this?

I've heard this too but I breastfed both my boys and would express if needed and they were fine going back to the breast although it was sometimes a struggle with the bottle as they they took awhile to figure out how to suck on it.

you can get the breast shaped bottle there expensive, but I'm thinking of getting one and using normal bottles to store the breastmilk in and just transferring it to the breastbottle to feed.

I'll try and find a link to show you what they are like.

yes please let me know xSuzx if you find a link for those types of bottles or teats.

I am still going to buy a steriliser

No breastfeeding for me! I actually have a fear of it and had this with all my children and that is because I am very "large" up top it wouldn't work and the baby would not be able to get anything. So with my other 4 children they were all bottlefed and with this one she will also be bottlefed.

xoxo Ree

Hi All!

I am planning on trying to breast feed. Have any of you had leaking breasts yet? I could have actually fed a baby the othernight so much was coming out. It's kinda scary!!

S. xx

I am really unsure on this one, part of me wants to but the other half doesnt.

I have told this to my partner and we have decided to have a go and If I really dont feel comfortable with it then I will stop.

I think as long as I can do two weeks then it will be better then nothing

Sarah x

Hi - i have been BF Ewan since he was born - If you can breast feed then great - if you can don't worry - there are lots of bottle babes out there.

From my point of view, i think breast feeding requires a certain amount of will power. as yes it does hurt in the first few weeks and now and again it will probably get sore.
You can't see how much the baby is getting and expressing does not give you a reliable view of how much the baby is getting -and expressing is not as efficent as a baby suckling.

You will feel like a mobile milk bar - ewan was feeding every 1.5 -2 hours up untill 4months and would wake only 2x at night which was fine.
Timeing the feeds goed from when you start so i would feed at 1pm and he would be ready for another feed at 2.30 and he would take around 40 mins for a feed so you don't get much of a break in between.

The main thing is rest and eat properly, and drink - as you will get quite dehydrated.

I used nipple shields at the start because i was so engorged he couldn't latch on -alsp my milk was fast flow so it slowed that slightly so he could feed - and i gradually at each feed tried him with out the shield and we eventually got rid of it - the midwife was very anti nipple shield.

Buy lots of breast pads and take a spare t shirt with you - incase of leakage. :oops: :shock: (it does happen)

Find out if there is a breast feeing support group near you MOBS (mothers offering breastfeeding support) MOMS (mothers own milk) these groups are great and helped me so much you can go before you havebaby. its great to see your not on your own..

I have really enjoyed BF something close between me and ewan - knowing i got him this far.

I started weaning him at 4 months and gave him one bottle of formula a day from 3 months so he knew what a bottle was.

hopethis is of help

Hi there

Found a link for the breast shaped bottle here it is:-

http://www.pedleybaby.co.uk/applogic/pr ... 362//33362

Like I said they are expensive but I plan to buy just one and use normall bottles to store the breast milk.

Also there are a couple of sellers on ebay that sell them brand new in box so you could check on there, just search for Adiri in the baby bottles section.

Hope this helps

SarahH said:
Hi All!

I am planning on trying to breast feed. Have any of you had leaking breasts yet? I could have actually fed a baby the othernight so much was coming out. It's kinda scary!!

S. xx

Hi Sarah,

I havent noticed leaking boobs yet I didnt think it would happen at 20 odd weeks?? :shock: I have notices tiny little spots of dried milk in my nipples though.

Keely xxxx

definate no for me - i'm using bottles.. which is my own choose! just hope the hospital realise this and don't try to force me to give it a go... i did think about it for a while but i've decided its not for me..
x

I will try breastfeeding in the hospital ... then go straight home and express feed ...

No way could i Flap me boobies out in public ... i'd be to embaressed :oops: :oops:

I'd never leave the house lol!!!

The thing about nipple confusion is because a baby uses different methods to get milk out of a bottle then a boob. Where as with a bottle they just suck, they actually use their tongue to get milk out of a boob. It is easier for them to get milk out of a bottle and that is why there may be some confusion as they decide that it is too much hard work to breastfeed. However not all babies get this, my baby has had both bottle and boob and has no probs apart from she will sometimes refuse a bottle as she prefers a boob (which is really annoying when you are trying to get out the door). Therefore perhaps the breast shaped bottle won't really prevent the nipple confusion if it is going to happen. I have used ordinary bottles no problem, I would perhaps try baby on those first?? Hypnorm has somne great advice there (wish I had that before my baby arrived). It does hurt and can be a right pain constantly feeding but it really does get better. However I would definately have some bottles and a sterilser ready just in case, my milk took ages to come in and we had to top up on formula. I had no bottles and had to buy some on the way home from the hosptial -nightmare xx

I'm kinda gutted now you have said you haven't had leaking boobs! Mine are soooooo bad! It's worse at night but I had my first daytime leakage the other day at work - so embarrased!!! Luckily it was a dark top so not that noticable! I have had to go and buy some breast pads.

S. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back