who follows the 4 hour rule and for how long?

Mel32

Reaction score
I keep hearing newborns shouldn't go more than 4 hours without a feed. I know some mums choose to let their little ones sleep right through if they don't wake themselves and I'm not judging that choice at all.

I've been trying to follow it, mostly because ive heard they can get dehydrated which worried me, it's usually no issue as my baby wakes me well before this, however at 7 weeks on at least 2 occasions recently I think I may have let him go more than this due to not setting an alarm properly (or accidentally turning it off and not getting up), and him not waking me. I then felt terrible, in fact on one occasion I thought he slept through a feed but being so tired I couldn't really remember.

Who else does this, and how long for? I know his stomach will be rapidly increasing in size and he'll be able to hold more too, so at what point can he go longer if he doesn't wake up naturally?

At 7 weeks if he wants to sleep let him! With my first son I always fed him when he seemed hungry and let him sleep when he seemed tired, he's 2yo now and has Been consistently sleeping through for well over 12months, and he eats well. My second son is 14 weeks and Iv followed the same approach with him, the day before yesterday he had 6oz every 2.5 hours! Then yesterday he didn't drink anywhere near as much. I just do what he needs! Can't force him to eat or sleep when he doesn't need to!

Unless unwell or any real reason to wake them for a feed I would be leaving them to sleep and enjoying the extra sleep! Sounds like your lo is doing really well! If they were hungry they would let you know!

On another note, what age are they not classed as 'newborn'? My lo is 7 weeks today? Still classed as newborn (I'm thinking for medical reasons like 'it's dangerous for a newborn to get chickenpox') xx

Baby is a newborn/neonate until 4 weeks of age. If baby is feeding regularly through the day then let him sleep longer during the night unless he is unwell. He'll soon let you know if he's hungry x

I would let him sleep, by 8 weeks my wee man started sleeping for 6 to 7 hrs when put down at night then would take a feed and sleep for maybe 3 or 4 more hours. As long as there is no medical reason to wake him just enjoy the sleep!

I also agree, let them sleep. They won't starve themselves and will let you know when they're hungry. My daughter really only ever fed maximum of twice a night, but more then often just the once. I got lucky with that one!

6hrs at night is ok as long as they are feeding more often in the day.

If they sleep more than 6hrs at night regularly (breastfeeding) it can trigger your periods returning though.
More night feeds = less chance of them coming back lol.

Signs of dehydration: dry mouth, dry eyes, sunken fontanelle(sp) - the soft spot on the top of the head, generally listless.

I've never woken either of my kids for a feed if they've slept through. A baby is still very much rigged up to primal instinct. If they're hungry, they'll wake and feed.

It's truly not something to worry about unless they're sleeping like, a whole day and not feeding. Xx

My daughter is 12 days old and sleeps 5-6 hours overnight. She feeds regularly during the day and is a good weight so I don't wake her for it. I have a older son who I never woke to feed either. I say if they're content and feeding plenty then just let them sleep

the midwives at the hospital told me to wake lo, i did until she'd regained her birth weight then let her sleep. wish we got to 4 hours asleep now! she wakes after about 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back