Who else is being consultant lead?

KeelyT90

Reaction score
Hey all,

So yesterday I saw the midwife. She took some brief notes, medical history, previous pregnancies etc. Booked me in for my booking appointment and told me I will also see the consultant around 18 weeks.

I was consultant lead with last pregnancy but I had to ask to see the consultant and that was around 22 weeks.

I suffer with hypermobility syndrome. The consitions means my joints and ligaments have too much callogen in them making them lax, I am also resistant to pain relief as a result. So with baby 1 I had severe SPD & SJD & I do have to take cocodamol because of the hip pain I get (without being pregnant) .
With last one I also developed hypermesis and was in hospital a few times on drips. Then at 32 weeks I measured 30 weeks and then I didn't budge from 32 week measurement until I gave birth - induced at 38 weeks. Then I had a 2nd degree tear. The contractions in labour were so intense, one after the other without a break to catch my breath, this is also a side effect of my condition.

I'm presuming I'm being consultant lead because of my hypermobility & the fact I was induced early.

I know its jumping ahead but I considered requesting a c-section this time as labour was difficult, painful & exhausting, however, decided against this as my recovery won't be quick and I will have a 2 and half year old toddler to also care for. So then I thought what about epidural? Then the issue is here, I am resistant to pain relief.

Anybody else going to be consultant lead? What's your story?

Last edited:
Hi, didn't want to read and run. I'm having identical twins so have to meet with a consultant frequently due to the pregnancy being more complex. Still yet to meet her and I'm 12+2. Wish you all the best xxx

I have to because I'm allergic to general anaesthetic and it causes a sever reaction. So I'm currently waiting for them to book me in for some kind of tests to see what else they could use. Hope they can help you xx

I have to because I'm allergic to general anaesthetic and it causes a sever reaction. So I'm currently waiting for them to book me in for some kind of tests to see what else they could use. Hope they can help you xx
Oh no! Are you planning on a c-section? Or is this incase of emergency? x

Hi, didn't want to read and run. I'm having identical twins so have to meet with a consultant frequently due to the pregnancy being more complex. Still yet to meet her and I'm 12+2. Wish you all the best xxx
Oh yes, I saw the scan, how amazing. Identicals. Congratulations :) x

Hey Hun, I will be consultant led. I'm only 4+6 at the minute.

With my first my little girl measured behind. At 37 weeks she had stopped growing and they induced me the next day. 4 days later she arrived via c section (she wasn't budging!) weighing 4lbs 9.
She was perfectly healthy though and we were both home the next day.

This time I will need the 3 extra growth scans (28,32,36) and I will be consultant led because of the previous c section and because I was diagnosed with IUGR with my daughter.

I wish you the best of luck Hun and hope you won't be in too much pain this pregnancy xx

Oh no! Are you planning on a c-section? Or is this incase of emergency? x

It's just in case of an emergency so I'm now stressing about it constantly because it got very close to it with my first daughter

It's just in case of an emergency so I'm now stressing about it constantly because it got very close to it with my first daughter
Oh no! Well fingers crossed you'll have a smooth labour! I'm not allergic but I am resistant to pain relief so an epidural for natural labour or c-section wouldn't do anything for me x

I will be consultant led. Midwife referred me anyway to him due to previous C-section and also the previous TFMR due to abnormality.

We have since found out I am pregnant with twins so will definitely be consultant led.

I don't mind being under the consultant - except for the fact that it will require going across town and sitting in the terribly slow hospital numerous times throughout the pregnancy!

I will be consultant led. Midwife referred me anyway to him due to previous C-section and also the previous TFMR due to abnormality.

We have since found out I am pregnant with twins so will definitely be consultant led.

I don't mind being under the consultant - except for the fact that it will require going across town and sitting in the terribly slow hospital numerous times throughout the pregnancy!
Wow another twin pregnancy, wishing you the best of luck! I know thats the only thing isn't it, more hospital appointments. I must have seen the consultant in my last pregnancy as much as i did the MW. x

I have joint hypermobility syndrome too, sucks big time doesn't it? I seen the consultant around 15 weeks. He started me on aspirin due to my age, said I had to give birth in hospital rather than the local midwife led unit and arranged my first growth scan at 28 weeks and I've to be monitored fortnightly for baby's growth.
I'm suffering really badly with my pelvis and have been since around 13 weeks. Got my first physio appointment on Monday xx

I don't know if my pregnancy will be consultant lead. But I have received an appointment in the post to see a consultant May 24th. I believe this is down to certain medication I am taking & previous issues I've had health wise.

Wow how does it make you resistant to pain relief ? That's kinda frustrating since the syndrome itself can cause so much pain !

Hi, I'm consultant lead this time due to my son having shoulder dystocia and needing resuscitation.
I have my first consultant appointment on Monday, so not sure what to expect over the pregnancy, but think they might do a few growth scans....not that my boy was overly big, not small either at 8lbs 8oz, but not massive.

I guess I'll soon find out x

I think I will be. My first son I had a huge bleed which was why I was consultant led with my 2nd son, I had gestational diabeates with him. So I tbink I will be but not sure yet x

It's just awful isn't it. I suffer with my hips the majority of the time, even going on a simple dog walk I can be in pain for days. With my last pregnancy I developed SPD & SJD from early on too like yourself. Agony! I was signed off physio as it was causing me too much pain. Wishing you the best of luck xx

Last edited:
I have joint hypermobility syndrome too, sucks big time doesn't it? I seen the consultant around 15 weeks. He started me on aspirin due to my age, said I had to give birth in hospital rather than the local midwife led unit and arranged my first growth scan at 28 weeks and I've to be monitored fortnightly for baby's growth.
I'm suffering really badly with my pelvis and have been since around 13 weeks. Got my first physio appointment on Monday xx
It's just awful isn't it. I suffer with my hips the majority of the time, even going on a simple dog walk I can be in pain for days. With my last pregnancy I developed SPD & SJD from early on too like yourself. Agony! I was signed off physio as it was causing me too much pain. Wishing you the best of luck xx

Wow how does it make you resistant to pain relief ? That's kinda frustrating since the syndrome itself can cause so much pain !
I'm entirely sure the reasons behind it, I just remembered when I was diagnosed I was given a fact sheet and it said women with JHS will have a fast, intense labour & will be resistant to pain relief.
I had gas & air with my last and a pethadine shot and neither one worked.
I know when I've had teeth removed the dentist has had to put double anaesthetic in as I could still feel everything. So frustrating. I did want an epidural this time as my labour was so intense last time and i didn't have time to breathe Inbetween contractions I started to panic, need something to keep me calm lol x

Hi, I'm consultant lead this time due to my son having shoulder dystocia and needing resuscitation.
I have my first consultant appointment on Monday, so not sure what to expect over the pregnancy, but think they might do a few growth scans....not that my boy was overly big, not small either at 8lbs 8oz, but not massive.

I guess I'll soon find out x
Fingers crossed everything runs smoothly for you this time around Hun xx

I think I will be. My first son I had a huge bleed which was why I was consultant led with my 2nd son, I had gestational diabeates with him. So I tbink I will be but not sure yet x
Most likely will be then if you was the other times. Better to be closely monitored anyway I think xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back