Which car seat do you have?

Lucy

Reaction score
Hi

We thought we'd sussed out which car seat we were going to get - thought that the Britax first class would be a good buy as you can use it from Birth to around 4 years and we didn't think we really had a need to get the car seat that goes with our pram to make a travel system.

BUT :shock: I went to buy the Britax today and I don't think I'll be able to cope with it with a newborn baby! maybe just panicking but it's a massive seat and you'd have to put baby in the seat then turn it and do up the belt (which you'd have to start from one side of the car then run round to other door to fasten seat belt).

So then I started looking at the infant carriers - the ones with a handle like this
http://www.britax.co.uk/Catalogue_2004/index.html
so at least I can put wee one in it then fit it to the car?

What car seat did you get and if you're using it already how are you finding it?

Thanks everyone!

Lucy
35 + 5

We have a Graco car seat with autobase. Once you've fitted the base then you can just clip the car seat in and out so no worrying about doing up the seat belt each time. It's good, but quite upright.

I'm using the one we got with our pram which goes up to six months then once baby is big enough I'm getting a renault isofix one as we have a megane and thought what would be safer than a seat thats actually designed for the car!? I think the isofix one goes up to 4. I thought about getting one that was from birth upwards but they are just so big that I wonder how safe they are for newborns.

We just got a Britax rock-a-tot on Saturday, its from Mothercare, and has £20 off, so we got it for £45!!It lasts until 6 months, but I didn't want to get a bigger one because of the weight of them and carrying the baby around in it.

This car seat is also featured in Pregnancy and Birth magazine, so I thought it would be fine to get.

Hope this helps.
xx

i have mamaas and papas for birth to 10months with the base! its crap dior was to big for it my 6months and she nots big for her age. it was a waste of money.

I have an Inglesina Huggy which fits onto my pushchair chassis. It is suitable from birth to 15 months and I like it, it does the job (no base though)

We have a Britax Rock A Tot.
Not going to last 9mths though like they're supposed to!!! Took the head support out last time I used it. Her head is too big for it already!!

Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm going to go along to Mothercare on Thursday and ask them to fit the various ones in the car to see which one seems more practical!

Rosieroo - like the idea of leaving the base in the car

Also like the rock a tot ones

Thanks

Luyc
36 wks

i started with a mothercare urban detour travel system - so that the car seat fits in to the push chair - which was great whilst ewan was small - but eventually it got too heavy to lift him and the seat so have now got a britax 1st class SI whi does from birth to 4yrs it has a new born insert. only 89 quid from toys r us at the moment - i was invooved in a car accident before christmas and have just replace the car seat with another britax - i would certainly recommend them

We have bought the Britax Isofix Cozy Tot premium which is £185. (Which has the permanent base). We had to go out and buy a different car before Xmas that has the Isofix points in it. major expense!

Very pricey but we felt guilty about buying anything less, but to make up for it we don't have any co-ordnating furniture in the nursery, hardly any outfits and hardly any toys. we have spent the most money on safety rather than decoration.

All car seats are safe if fitted correctly, they wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they weren't

I have the Mama's and Papas Prima viaggio one, it's a sure fix base so the base permanently fits in the car and the seat just clips into it and you just put the seat belt round the back.

Mine was only £90 and i agree with Kim, all car seats have to come with a british safety standard, you may pay loads for one and still not fit it properly so it won't be safe.

My brother has a smash on the motorway in which he rolled his car over 3 lanes on a busy saturday afternoon. He had a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the car, both came out with scratches and the police said that it doesn't matter what seat it is as they are all made for the same purpose but the fact it was fitted properly was the key otherwise they would have been dead!

Any way that was nothing to do with the subject but i just wanted to prove how important it is to know how your seat is to be properly fitted. :D

I totally agree with the above comments about the proper fitting of car seats.

Its just that every year there seems to be a survey on the TV where they spot-check cars with baby seats to see if they are fitted right and they always find loads that aren't and it can be worrying.

It definitely sounds like a case of human error rather than the seats.

The DH and I are nervous wrecks about becoming parents :roll: , so we decided on the seats that don't rely on the seatbelts.

All seats are great though if fitted carefully.

we have a chicco ones that goes from birth to 5 years old i think it is. so we just have to turn it around at about 8 months, i find it easy, we keep it locked in with seat belt. just have to extend the seat belt to get baby in then pull it back again.

we did have a baby carrier as part of a travel system but alana doesnt like to be suashed up. she like to move about and kick about so a big car seat was better for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back