Which breast pump to buy?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by smilingsophie, Jun 25, 2016.

1. smilingsophie

smilingsophie Well-Known Member

I've been breast feeding for 4 months and in that time i have had to return my medulla breast pump twice due to milk being sucked up into the electric pump...

Does any one recommend a different pump I could buy?

How long does it normally take to express breast milk with a hand pump? The electro pump normally took 30 mins to express 150mls

:)

2. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

That was one of the reasons I decided against the Medela as I'd seen a review on it saying that milk does get into the tubing and end up in a part you can't get to to clean (they literally smashed up a pump to show the black mould on the inside of a part you could only access by breaking the pump lol)

Anyway, I have no idea how good it is but I've gone for the Lansinoh electric pump as it had good reviews on Amazon, claims to be a closed-system, and it was on offer for £50 (for the single electric pump) which is the cheapest I've seen for a 'reputable brand' electric pump.

I am yet to try it out though so wouldn't like to say how good it is. I'm hoping I'll be able to get at least 6oz a day with it over one or two sessions.

#2 Phoenix85, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  3. StephyLou

StephyLou Well-Known Member

This is what I've gone with and I highly recommend, its easily cleaned, has a great let down and multiple pump settings and the milk gets nowhere near the suction pump.

I think it takes batteries but the cord is so long that I haven't had to use it yet. Took about 20 minutes to work out how to use it first time but after 30 seconds tops to set up.

Have been able to get 8oz in 25 minutes, don't know if its the pump or I'm just part cow.

Got if for £50 at Toys R Us.

4. ffeefifofum

ffeefifofum Member

5. Birdie

Birdie Well-Known Member

I tried the Medela Swing last time as it seemed to be most people's top choice but I just couldn't express any milk, so was unable to combine breast & bottle which was frustrating.

This time I'm going to try again and on a US Facebook page I follow, this pump is very highly recommended, so I'm considering trying it.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BLBLR1I/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8

Reviews are a bit mixed but that seems to be related to faulty pumps being sent out - general opinion is that if the pump works it's amazing!