Which 1 to buy?

HopesDreams

Reaction score
I intend to try breast feeding BUT I also intend to get a box of formula in (just in case). Which one would you recommend & why?

I've been combination feeding since week 1 and use Aptamil. I give it warm, I was giving it instant out if carton but Still heated it up.

From experience don't stock pile a particular brand incase you needed to switch. If you wanted a "just incase pack" they do great starter bottle packs. Some would say that encourages you not to try harder at bf but I think that's rubbish because as I found sat there crying my eyes out when my milk wasn't coming out as quickly as I needed it was my saviour!

Xx

I wouldn't stock up either as I think different brands suit different babies. My first suffered with colic, so was fed aptimil comfort. My new lo is a sicky baby and have found that sma suits him best as it seems to be slightly thicker.

I've bought a couple of bottles of SMA for emergencies, I only chose that brand because my mum bought it for me and my brothers. I have a vivid memory of going to Boots with her when my youngest brother was a baby and she was buying a tin of SMA :) So sentimental, but when choosing a brand that was the only one I wanted to use!

We were all bought up on sma so i thought id give it a go. 10 weeks i dealt with a screaming baby who couldnt poo and just wasnt satisfied so i went to cow and gate hungry and at 20 weeks went to normal cow and gate. Xx

Aptimal for me as well, I still use the prepared cartons (James likes the milk so I have a stockpile)

I had also bought a microwave sterliser and a few bottles just in-case, I am glad I did as James wasn't latching properly and I spend 48 hours thinking I was feeding him fine when I actually wasn't. He screamed for 7 hours and only settled after a bottle of Aptimal :roll:

xxxxxx

A friend is getting me a "just in case" set of bottles & I think I'll go with the box of Aptamil powder as my "emergency" stash. I'd rather have it than not, I don't think it will deter me from BF. I still very much want to BF but I also don't want to be sitting crying at 3am some night with a miserable baby & a miserable me.

Hipp Organic. Its got "friendly bacteria" in it, which really helps build their immune system, and is more like breastmilk than any other formula milk out there.

Really Lynd77? I thought it was Aptamil which is why I was going to go for Aptamil. Thanks!

I have Hipp Organic and have given Madison the ready made bottles a few times when I feel she's drained both boobies on feeding. She likes them and it was recommended to me for the same reason as Lynds x

Last edited:
I will probably get shot down for this... Formula is all much of a richness... How it is 'beneficial' is entirely advertising ploy. no formula is closer than another to breastmilk. if you want to get formula in then go for a brand and make up that suits your budget and need. Just in case i would get a few cartons or ready to use stuff rather than a huge tub of formula. remember as well that the first few days of constant feeding is to get your milk supply in and established :flower:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Rowesb, I was just googling it all before I read your post. Seems what you say is spot on. Articles seem to suggest that there is no point in looking for something that is "closest thing to breast milk" because breast milk is unique to me & my sprout.
Why do you suggest the ready made cartons, as opposed to the box of powder? I ask this because the powder seems to work out quite a bit cheaper.

because if you are aiming to breastfeed you hopefully will not need a box that would get wasted... where as hopefully a few oz from a small carton may just be enough to get you over a difficult patch one day, to give more than a few full feeds might not help your own milk supply...
... these companies are really clever, in that they are well aware that they cannot advertise the first stage milk, but know that how they advertise the follow on stuff affects the use of their first stage.... follow on and above is generally just an advertising ploy....

So what ready made formula would you suggest? Sorry for bending your ear but I really am a fish out of water here! I work with kids daily, developmentally I'm on the ball but when it comes to things like this I have no experience to fall back on.

as I said earlier, one that suits your budget... I never used it so couldn't advice which one, a couple of the cheaper ones? (that is what I would choose)

also as far as bottles and sterilisers go, if you are determined to feed and not get a lot of stuff in there is nothing wrong with boiling bottles and teats for 5 minutes, so you only need a couple of bottles if that to start with...

A friend is giving me a cold water steriliser (just the old box unit) so I'm sorted in that respect. :)

Last edited:
Ok, so I probably missed a trick somewhere but while I was in Tesco the Aptamil starter pack was £8.99. The pack had 6 90ml bottles with 6 teats. The wee Aptamil cartons were 200ml & 69p so I picked up 6 wee cartons. If I don't use them (fingers crossed) its only a few pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back