Where to give birth

Geekachublog

Reaction score
I was just wondering at what stage the midwife discusses with you where you'd like to have the baby?
I think I'd like to say birthing centre, but is there any way of being able to see it before picking it? I know that sounds like a silly question, but we only know personally one person who's had a baby, she had twins by section so had to go to hospital, but that place made me feel quite uncomfortable.

The midwife asked me at my booking appointment and told me that at one of my later appointments I can have a tour of the birthing centre if I'm thinking of having baby there. I am as I know several people who've given birth at our local one. It sounds luxurious compared to the hospital where I was a birthing partner!

I was asked and giving a leaflet at my 16 week appointment. Ive booked my antenatal classes and as part of the labour and birth class i get a tour of the birthing centre and the ward. I think ive made my mind up about wanting to have the baby at the birthing centre though. Xx

Hi ladies, Tri hopping here.

I am hoping to have little one at our local birthing centre - however, they will only allow you to labour and birth there is you are 100% low risk. They won't even allow you to have the baby there if your iron is low. The reason for my birthing suite being like this, is because it's not attached to a surgical hospital, so if intervention is needed they would not be able to treat you.

This may be different with your own birthing centres, but it may be an idea to ask so that you keep your options open and know what can dictate where you give birth.

I've attached a pic of our birthing suite - I am so hopeful that I can have little one here.

970826_10151631316838769_1879406425_n.jpg

Wow, that looks wonderful, I hope there's something similar here, I have my 16 week midwife appt in 3 weeks so I hope to find out then, I'll ask if she doesn't volunteer info.

Hi ladies, Tri hopping here.

I am hoping to have little one at our local birthing centre - however, they will only allow you to labour and birth there is you are 100% low risk. They won't even allow you to have the baby there if your iron is low. The reason for my birthing suite being like this, is because it's not attached to a surgical hospital, so if intervention is needed they would not be able to treat you.

This may be different with your own birthing centres, but it may be an idea to ask so that you keep your options open and know what can dictate where you give birth.

I've attached a pic of our birthing suite - I am so hopeful that I can have little one here.

970826_10151631316838769_1879406425_n.jpg

That looks so lovely! It's the same for my local birthing centre, no high blood pressure etc, keeping my fingers crossed!

I was just wondering at what stage the midwife discusses with you where you'd like to have the baby?

We had a tour of our local hospital when I was about 30 weeks or so. I can't remember when it was talked about and organised... possibly at the mw appointment at 28 weeks... I know it's not very early on.

It's always worth knowing where your birthing centre is in relation to the hospital (attached, 45 mins by ambulance etc.) just in case. I never got to choose as I had an emergency c-section, but wouldn't have chosen the birthing centre as although it's right next to a hospital, the maternity part is in a different part of the county and is 45 mins away by blue-light ambulance!!! This time round, the hospital I'm going to has a birthing centre attached, but I'm high risk so can't use it. I think that configuration is brilliant though, as it means you can go for the birthing centre if you want and emergency care is just down the corridor if you need it. Best of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back