where do you buy meat?

I prefer to buy from the butchers but Im not always in town so it isnt always possible, if not the supermarket

I'm really bad, my stepdad was a butcher all his life, but now he's retired so I just buy from the supermarket.

There is a butchers 2 mins walk from my house, I really should go in there, but I hate that I don't know the quantities... Like if I need meat for a stew, I'd say to my Stepdad, I need meat for our stew, and he'd just know how much... I have to see the packets in the supermarket now to guess how much I need.

thats why we dont use butcher urchin... i wouldnt have a clue! I feel so stupid buying meat from the supermarket, it just doesnt look as nice as the stuff you see in the butchers... :think: at the supermarket you can just pick it up aswell... id feel daft asking for say...a Turkey now because the butcher might laugh and be like 'Yeah right as if i have nay of those at this time of year' :oops:

I buy my meat from my local butchers I live in a small village so most of the meat is from local farmers. It tastes so much better than supermarket meat.

Butchers, Butchers, Butchers any day of the week!!! So much nicer (and cheaper) than most of the Supermarket rubbish

Don't be embarrased about just saying to the butcher that you need enough for a stew for two people because they will know how much you want. I say that to my butcher all the time and I know and I know how much weight I would want!!

My ex was 4th generation of butchers in his family and I used to help him out all of the time and I'm quite good at it now so I know a good piece of meat if I see one. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Any butcher will help you out as much as they can becuase they just want to keep their business going and they are trying to compete with supermarkets all the time. Plus it's a lot more personal to be abel to speak to a butcher who is more likely to know where the meat came from and how it was reared anyway

:hug: :hug:

I always ask the butchers advice on how much I need :oops:

I have been known to ask him how to cook certain meats i'm not sure about :oops: :oops: he probably thinks i'm thick but i'd rather ask.

Emma58 said:

I have been known to ask him how to cook certain meats i'm not sure about :oops: :oops: he probably thinks i'm thick but i'd rather ask.

I ask too. They dont thnk you are thick, they want your trade. Anyway, you get used to quantities and how to cook stuff

if i want a really yummy roast dinner then i go to the farm shop, or if i want sausages and bacon i go to pig farm. its very very fresh and tastes so much nicer.

But when im in supermarket i pick things up like chicken legs or mince meat.

i never know measurements either, and the butchers dont seem to mind

natalie&jake said:
Emma58 said:

I ask too. They dont thnk you are thick, they want your trade. Anyway, you get used to quantities and how to cook stuff

I asked the butcher lady for some steak and she asked what kind and I'm like, i duno, dinner steak.. and she found some and I said don't suppose you know how to cook it? And she said "well i wouldnt be very good at my job if i didn't". So that was cool. There's a lad there too so I walked in and asked him for square chicken and he of course knew I meant diced :oops: I've taken my cooking lesson recipes in before and given it them and said i dont know what this even looks like do you have any. They're so nice they offer alternatives if they don't have it and the one time the butcher went to the back room bit and cut me some pork fillet specially for me.

So yeah, I go to the butchers. Just like fruit+veg from the fruit shop... much better tasting than supermarkets. Don't be embarrased to ask for stuff - it's their job and you get a much more personal service if you explain what you're trying to do cos they've probably heard it a hundred times before and know the best ways to do things.

mum works in a butchers so majority comes from there, nice and cheap/free :lol: though for some things i prefer to go elsewhere

i got to a farm and stock up once a month, they do everything on the premises

I get most of mine from the butcher, he's really nice & has quite often cut me the bit of meat I need on the spot (gammon steaks last Tuesday!). I think I can tell the difference most with the sausages, supermarket ones just don't come close!

If I'm in a hurry I'll pick it up from Tesco but we can always tell the difference.

My hubbys dad buys from a butcher in bulk & its really top quality meat and quite cheap, he buys it and we eat it :lol:

We sometimes get from supermarket or butchers too :)

supermarket , maybe once babe is here ill walk to the butcher as a thing to do lol

supermarket

is a butchers cheaper then the only reason i brought from tesco was coz i thought it was cheaper

I was going to the local butchers but the last few things have been mingin and the last steak was off. They never listen to me either, I always ask for a steak at least an inch thick (OH is a saffer!) and it's nevfer anywhere near! I expect to pay at least £6 a steak but the flimsy way they cut it it costs about 3. There's some butchers in town I like but I only ever go to town once in a blue moon so at the mo its Tesco until I find a decent butchers again.

We rear our own chickens, ducks and pigs here. So good knowing exactly where its come from and that its free range and organic and had a decent life.

Our beef and other meats come from our local butcher who has everything sourced locally. Our beef comes from the farm down the road and we see the cows out 2 fields away.

I won't buy supermarket meat unless it is organic and free range. Things like cheap chicken is grown in intensive conditions and had a miserable life and never even seen proper daylight. Its then injected with water to bulk it out before it goes into the stores to sell. Ick :puke:

I am a great believer in looking after the animals we eat as best we can. And I know a lot of people complain that free range/organic meat is more expensive but tbh, I'd rather that and maybe have a bit less meat with better flavour and bulk out with veggies. We never used to eat so much meat as we do now. Chicken was a luxury till well after WWII and we used to use *every* part of an animal somehow whereas these days it would never occur to most people to use offal or trotters etc in some way. I always boil up the chicken carcass and use the stock from it for risotto or a base for soup. It freezes well and its another meal from it.

So yeah I'm a bit big on all that :)

hmmm the smell of making chicken stock makes me drool!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back