Where do I go now?

flowers2014

Reaction score
I got a positive. Wasn't ttc but okay if it happened but I don't have a clue about pregnancy.

I know I need to tell my gp but my situation is complicated.

I moved away from family 3 hours away but didn't change my gp as theyre too good. I always go for appointments there. Is that even allowed? I always have the thought I'm goibg to move back though especially if I had a baby so me and OH need to really start looking though.

If I go to my gp amd they send letters to my parents will it be obvious it's for pregnancy as I don't want anyone to know yet.

Hey, it's different in different areas how they do things. Where I live, you tell your dr and they in turn contact the local midwives who then contact you to make a booking in appointment at about 8 weeks.

You don't want to be travelling 3 hours for every visit, and you need to see a midwife attached to your local hospital. Maybe see a local doctor and say you are just temporarily in the area.

Good luck and congrats!

For ease- you need to change your Gp basically

Bloods, scan date, midwife appointments are all co ordjnated via your local surgery ....

If you can juggle that being 3 hours away then hats off to you :)

Oh and the letters I have received were in NHS envelopes.

Is it obvious it is a pregnancy letter or is it one of those normal NHS type ones? Also does it say your full name or just the initials of the first name?

I travel every week there so it isn't a problem for me although I can see it can be. However I am used to is as I can't stay away so I'm not sure if I can simple go to my doctor and say I have moved and can you send the letters there - but I still want all of my appointments etc. here?

And thank you for your replies.

I would still change it tbh. If god forbid something were to go wrong you need to be close by.

Well - the process here is the below- howeve this changes and varies from area to area

You go to go
Referred to midwife
Booking in appointment recieved in post
Go to booking appointment
Scan date in post
Go to 12 week scan

The problems will occur when you need to see your midwife on a Thursday as an example- could you travel up on a Thursday with no reason as to why?

What if - like jojo said- something happened - like an eptopic- all your details are with a surgery 3 hours away that they won't have immediate access to

The scan letter comes with full name and so did booking appointment

You'll get the best care short term changing doctors- if you plan to move back 'home' then ultimately your no
Worse off switching on a temp basis

Appointments are not as flexible as you'd think from my experience..

I should be flexible with dates as my work allows it but I agree with you guys it probably is not a good idea to stay with them. Argh lol they are packed with patients so I'm not sure if I will be able to go back onto the list again and I have no idea about GPs here or anyone to ask. My OH's GP is rubbish. Sees you for 30 seconds then sends you home. I guess pregnancy is different but if anyone still has advice I would love to hear it as I am new to this.

Anyone can go to any surgery for pregnancy care only. I could stay with my GP for all care and go to the next street surgery for pregnancy care. They get you to sign a form to say they will look after you in pregnancy. Check with the surgery near you. You don't need to see a dr just get a booking appt with MW around 7-9 weeks.

Thank you. I will try and do that.

I think I am 4+3 weeks. I guess it's not far away then.

I have a question though. I will probably not be able to visit the docs due to work soon (within the next week) but I have had hayfever and taken nasal spray to really help me. It says on there you should ask a doc first though, like most medicines, and I guess now that I know I am due, I need to ask, but is it really necessary? Are there some medicines you can be okay with without asking?

Check with a pharmacist. They'll tell you

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back