Where can you get maternity gear....

Rosebay

Reaction score
...on the high street? I spent two hot hours this afternoon looking around central Bristol trying to work out where to look. There are a few things in Dorothy Perkins and a few in Mothercare but BHS don't do maternity clothes and I couldn't find them in M & S or Etam. Someone said Asda did some- what kind of thing? I'm not that big yet- just wanted to try some skirts and trousers on though as things are starting to get tight. I also wanted some tops that are more generously cut in the front but aren't two sizes too big for me. There were clothes for short people, clothes for tall people but where oh where are the decent maternity clothes or will I just have to go with catalogues? Is there such a thing as cheap maternity clothing?

Any experience/ideas welcomed!

+++

Where we live there isnt much around, DPs, M&S & mothercare. But luckily a friend of mine has just opened up his own Maternity shop, yes i did say it right a guy has his own maternity clothing shop. He decided that his missus couldnt find anything decent around to thats what promted him to open it. Havent had a look in there yet but as soon as i do Ill let you know what its all like.

I've got to admit I've been struggling - I don't want to spend a lot on maternity wear as there is so much baby stuff I need to buy!! The Asda near me is terrible, but my mum managed to send me some from the one near her (t-shirts etc). For trousers, I've gone for non-maternity cropped cotton/linen type trousers, 2 sizes too big. They fit fine below the bump and it's working fine so far (though I'm not very big yet! I have a friend who is 34 weeks, who has managed to get by with non-maternity trousers as well, and she is pretty big.

Places I'd therefore recommend for cheap non-maternity clothing include New Look, Primark, Tesco/Asda etc.

For tops, my normal t-shirts are now riding above my bump, so I've had to invest in some maternity stuff...! H&M do quite a lot, though I found the style of their t-shirts to be too tight for my liking.

Let me know if you find any other good ones as I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and am desperate for shorts / etc!!

Hi,

thanks for the tips- I got one top in New Look (one of those floaty cheese-cloth tunic type tops) but I haven't tried H & M so I'll give them a go. My sister in law bought the Next Catalogue round and there are some multi-packed long sleeve tops that are kind of ok price wise (3 for around £20) but I'd really like to try those on first before buying. I'm planning a visit to Bath in the next few weeks as they have a Blooming Marvelous shop and a bigger Next and I'll let you know if I find any bargains! I kind of doubt it though- I guess we're the kind of market where they know we have no choice but to buy stuff :x

+++

if u can get urself to bath, there is an amazing shop called blooming marvelous, they have a website too, good sales on it at the momment as well,

take a look

Well I traipsed over to my nearest H&M yesterday with a headache to discover that they don't do maternity stuff :(

However at the moment, in most shops especially H&M there are lots of tops available that have elastic round the bust and are loose and floaty round the belly.

I bought a non-maternity top yesterday in h&m for £7.99 normal price, that is not only quite trendy but I can imagine there being enough room for my bump for the whole journey. Very pleased with that. I am meeting up for a relaxing hotel weekend with my friends as soon as I have a proper bump and it will be nice to know that I have something roomy but trendy to take with me.

Oh no my Hennes (H&M) do maternity. I am going shopping for maternity on Wednesday if I can drag myself out of the house but I doubt there will not be much joy. All the maternity ranges I have seen are over the bump (which I hate and will make me look even shorter!) or are not small enough to fit me. I am normally a size 10 but f*ck me the size 10 under bump stuff is more like a 14-16 :shock: Bring on the size 6's :roll: I'm not that big understandably but I can't fit in my 'normal' clothes and due to my bleddy awkward shape of my fat white ass I don't fit in the size up either as they hang off at the back off the bum at the top (anyone else who has that problem will know what I mean) :roll:

gonna stop moaning now.......

Sami

Have you tried Top Shop maternity?

All of their jeans are 'under bump' and I think they do smaller sizes than everyone else.

However I have just been reading through an old thread about this and someone did buy the jeans with a slight jersy panel and when they sat down they were uncomfortable so make sure you sit down in the changing room to test it :D :wink:

Hope this helps

Topshop don't do small enough for me - or they never have it in stock anyway. Plus, they only have 1 rail which is casual :shock:
It all seems to be office wear wherever I look - am I wierd to not be working?! :? I'm just and awkward bugger :lol:

Have a quick look at their website.

They have their jeans in a size 8, which may be small enough and all their styles seem to be in stock.

Might be worth a look

let us know how you get on

i got all of my maternity stuff from dp (dorothy perkins) and next. some of the bits from next were a bit pricey but i figured that it was worth it just to feel comfortable. although the stuff from dp was great value for money and really comfortable too

Just thought id say Ive just come back from Lakeside and bought some great maternity clothes from H&M.
Im sooooo happy as theres nothing where i live.

I am dying to get to H&M but my local one doesn't do the maternity stuff, so I have to drive a bit further out

Can somebody tell me if the range is worth the drive? I don't want to traipse over to Bluewater in the heat to discover the range is really tiny and I can't find anything.

Thanks

The range in Exeter isn't too big, but they have some good basic trousers and some decent tops. Unfortunately there seems to be nowhere locally to me that sells maternity wear apart from there and Mothercare.
In my Pregnancy and Birth magazine this month they had some nice bits from Next Maternity (never seen that range in my Next) and also some nice trousers from Topshop maternity.

HEY THERE I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE HAS TRIED ONLINE SHOPPING BUT
I'VE FOUND SOME CUTE TOPS, SKIRTS, AND PANTS AT WWW.OLDNAVY.COM THEY ALSO HAVE SOME CUTE SWIMMING SUITS FOR ALL OF US PREGGO'S LOL! THEY'LL DO I GUESS! I DON'T KNOW I'M NOT INTO SPENDING A WHOLE LOT OF CASH ON CLOTHES I'LL ONLY BE WEARING FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS. THEY'RE REASONABLY PRICED AND CUTE. I'VE SEEN SOME OUTRAGEOUS PRICES FOR MATERNITY CLOTHES OUT THERE, I RECOMEND OLDNAVY.COM THEY HAVE GOOD ONLINE SALES AS WELL.

HAPPY SHOPPING!

I went to an Old Navy last year when I was in Orlando and they are fab value for money, bought some really nice hoodies and stuff for bargain prices. Unfortunately they don't ship to the UK, which is a shame as they've got some nice Maternity Jeans.

Blooming Marvelous have a sale on- I just got back from the shop in Bath and got three long sleeve t'shirts for £5.99 that had been £14.99 :) hooray! And they were really friendly in there and let me use their staff toilet- sigh of pregnant woman relief!

+++

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gzmndrea
Back