Where are all the high risk mums-to-be?!

Mum2Many

Reaction score
Come out, come out wherever you are! :lol:

Seriously, it sucks to have a high risk pregnancy... And it also sucks sometimes talking to people who are perfectly healthy and sailing through (and still complaining)... So I thought maybe us high risk preggo's could get together on a thread and chat and cry and moan and laugh with others who actually understand how you're feeling rather than 1/. telling you to suck it up it'll all be over soon or telling you it'll all be worth it "in the end" (as if we don't know that - still sucks to suffer though!) or 2/. try to compete with your misery by telling you about their perfectly normal pregnancy aches and pains...

(And yes, I HAVE had one of THOSE days where I swear literally every pregnant woman I know in real life has been complaining at me about heartburn, or being tired, or having a sore back..... And how awful it is for them. :talkhand: And yes, I did sit there thinking "I can only WISH that I felt that good Love! Now please go away and leave me in my pain and misery!") LOL

So why are you high risk?
How do you cope?
What's your "plan of action" to get through the rest of your pregnancy?

So come on high risk ladies! I can't be the only one here. I see the diabetic thread going (haven't joined yet cos I don't know if I'll have it this time) but no matter what your risk factor or complications are, come chat with me/us!!!

I'll get us started!

I have a number of risk factors myself...
  • Previous history of multiple bilateral pulmonary emboli (so I have to have Dalteparin injections throughout pregnancy and for 6 weeks afterwards)
  • Previous history of Pre-Eclampsia (they've put me on Aspirin for this???)
  • Duplex kidney, hydronephrosis and severe kidney infections throughout pregnancy which in the past started premature labour several times although we were able to stp it every time (we're trying prophylactic antibiotics but if they don't work I'll need surgery to fit a nephrostomy bag)
  • Severe SPD (never went away after my last child) which has left me wheelchair bound in the past
  • History of Gestational Diabetes which required Insulin (waiting on OGTTs)
  • History of severe hydramnios, unstable lies in my last 3 pregnancies, quick and unexpected labours with all but my last baby who was induced at 36wks (think they call it precipitous birth?)
  • Last 3 babies were large. 10lbs 2oz, 9lbs 7oz and 7lbs 6oz (he was born at 36wks) respectively.

LOL I think that's (probably not) everything!

As for coping I largely try to laugh it off. I sometimes scream and shout and cry and moan and bitch (like today) and the rest of the time I just try and ignore it all. I have no-one I know with high risk pregnancies (hence my post here!) so I don't have anyone to talk too who actually understands and "gets it" when I have a bad day.

Plan of action is currently long and complicated and involves almost weekly appointments with various consultants, haematologists, diabetic nurses/midwives, my midwife, scan departments, tests etc. etc. I suspect if all goes well I'll be allowed to go to about 37-38 weeks, but if it's anything like last time they'll probably induce at 36 weeks again. Hoping to make it at least until 37 though!

Hi there!

I'm high risk due to high bmi, chronic hypertension, previous lo was underweight (although only by .1 lbs ), and a slightly low papp a score. To deal with everything going on, I tend to look at the bright side - lots of extra scans = more chances to see our dd.

I've been down recently has hubby has been unwell and as of yesterday I found my contract at work will not be renewed for next school year, as I wasn't rehired :(

Oh no hun, I'm so sorry to hear about your contract. And it's always hard when DH is ill isn't it? Especially when you feel crappy yourself.

(((((HUGS)))))

I'm sorry you get to join this thread, but so happy to have you here too.

Thank you. Hubby really wants to help out around the house etc, but he's just unable to. He's told me not to worry about work as I didn't make much anyways. But tbh I really enjoyed my work and found it a nice break from feeling like a carer for my dh. I know that must sound really horrible.

Sorry to see you (and anyone else in this section), but it's nice to have the company.

No, I totally understand the break that work can give. I used to be a phlebotomist and I loved my job. I don't need to work, but I do like too just for the break it gives me from "home" life... It's not horrible at all! Maybe you can find something else when baby is a bit older?

I live for making plans personally. I swear when things are bad (I was having a REALLY bad day yesterday) making plans for the future is nearly the only thing keeping me from going insane! LOL

Hey
High risk mum to be here..! My first post ever on any forum so please forgive any poor etiquette, I'm not too familiar with all the terminology but I'm learning..
Anyway, I've got an incompetent cervix which could required stitching (will have this confirmed next week) I have my legs crossed just thinking about this..! I also have some dodgy 'anti m' antibodies lurking about putting baby at possible risk at birth, being blood monitored regularly..
Lastly I'm 42 years old so I'm virtually geriatric and at high risk of being too old I guess..!
I've got a 14year old manchild and I'm 22weeks along and apart from the high risk stuff I'm doing really well..
Anyway thanks for listening, and thanks for having me in the forum.
Best wishes to all
Rach x

Hello! High risk here too.

Due to high BMI and also due to previous pregnancies. My son was a big boy, all 9lb7oz of him and being a small 17yr old girl it was a shock to the system. Then when pregnant with my DD, due to son being large I was automatically put down for growth scans but ended up being diagnosed with GD at 29weeks, I had pre eclampsia symptoms at 28weeks but thankfully came to nothing, DD growth was a concern up until 37weeks when she managed to catch up but was still very petite when born although weighing 7lb11oz she had to be in tiny baby clothes as so small, had severe SPD and then in the final weeks had low amniotic fluid so was induced at 39weeks.

Im 24 weeks with another boy and automatically getting growth scan at 28, 32 and 36weeks and possibly more if they feel its needed. Due to have my GTT test at 27weeks. Was admitted to hospital at 15weeks and diagnosed with HG and still suffering with sickness and I also have severe SPD again.

And if that isnt enough, I also have chronic back problems. I have lower spinal arthritis and also a bulging disc that is constantly pushing in my sciatic nerve so I need to meet with anathesist to get my back assessed so that if I need an epidural or spinal block etc its safe to do so.

Even tho this is my 3rd labour, im more petrified than the others due to my back condition. Im on a high dose of painkillers as it is along with lidocaine patches to get through my days so to then have contractions on top of that I dread to think.

I had a awfully traumatic induction with my DD and due to this I have refused induction if its needed with this one, which I get the feeling they will try talk me out of this but ive put my foot down and said if I need induced then they have to do a c section as I refuse to go through that mentally again.

Im glad this thread has been started. I know everyone handles pain differently etc but when I hear about someone suffering back ache I just wanna slap them. But then at same time I know how awful it is so I feel for them at same time. Really struggling this time round with SPD too, it seems to be worse than it was in previous pregnancy :(. X

Hello Miss Ray and Emma-Lou! Sorry to see you hear but it's great for you to join us. Hope you are enjoying the weekend. :)

Im not pregant now but was high-risk due to epilepsy. I remember people saying the hospital were being too cautious as I hadnt had a seizure in years.. then a few weeks before LM was born I started with auras again and severe headaches. They came back the day after my emergency c section and I had to be moved to a room I could constantly be observed in, whith cotsides on my bed :( when the episodes happened I had to call someone to come and take her as I was unsafe and put her at great risk. That was the worst bit, knowing my health endangered hers. And having to give her to strangers who Id only just met, she would scream and there was nothing I could do as they were so bad they blinded me in effect. They lasted for 6 weeks, luckily I didnt have a full blown grand mal.

They will be testing future pregnancies for GD due to her size- 9lb7oz at birth, I was a size 8 pre-pregnancy and I was a small baby and FOB was just and so average but on the smaller side.

Its horrible! Xx

High risk first time mum
Hi All let me start by saying what a great thread, ok so as I said first time mum here I have diabetes and have a bag due to colitis.
I hate having to test my blood about 30 times a day no joke then having to inject 5 or more times a day which is slowing increasing the amounts due to baby. Also I am 39 so all in all high risk oh the fun of it all.
But as long as baby is good and healthy it will be worth it all in the end :O)

Hi Rach, Ema-Lou, babyem and Toffeegirl...

I'm so sad, but so happy to see you all here! I was really worried when I first made this thread that I'd upset or offend the "normal" pregnant ladies and I honestly didn't think anyone would respond. Sometimes, when you're high risk you feel so alone and like nobody else understands... It's so nice to have you all to talk too and to know we're not all alone and we can vent and moan and cry and laugh together!

babyem, I totally hear you on people's comments. It's like they think you're making a fuss over nothing because they've never been through it themselves so it CAN'T be THAT bad. It really makes me angry when people who don't know what they're talking about feel they can play down an experience that isn't their own. (((((HUGS)))))

Toffeegirl, that sounds awful. :( I had GD in my last three pregnancies although only formally diagnosed in my last one and was on insulin. I thought it was horrible as in a week I worked out I was putting at least 60 needles in my body, but that's nothing compared to yours!

ema-lou, I hope your meeting with the anaesthetist goes well. They can normally find something you can have, so hopefully they'll find something they can use for you. I'm actually allergic to general (or was as a child) and when I've had meetings with them they told me that it's very rare that they can't find anything that will work for a person so I've got my fingers crossed for you that they find something they can use, and also that you don't have to be induced if you don't want to be.

Rach, I know I probably shouldn't have, but I had to laugh at this
at high risk of being too old I guess..!
LOL I think at some point we'll all be at high risk of that, but I'd hardly call 42 geriatric. ;) I hope your appointment next week goes well and that your cervix stays as it should.

Sprk, how are you doing today? I hope you're resting up a bit - it's Sunday after all!!!

As for me I'm doing OK today. I've changed from the antibiotics I was on to the prophylactic antibiotics now so the sickness I was experiencing seems to be going a bit now although the thrush I get when I take antibiotics is really horrible right now. Next appointment is a scan on Tuesday. I think it's just the equivalent of an NHS dating scan because when I was admitted the other week for IV antibiotics they told me they wouldn't take the information from my private scans. Seems a real waste of money to me, I thought I was doing the NHS a favour but apparently not. Then the following week I've got the first of my OGTT's. Not looking forward to that at all! LOL

Mum2many- I am doing better today. I just had my nap lol. Still upset about work, but on the bright side...I know I will have more time at home with dd once she's here. Blood pressure is staying down (home monitored) and the hospital has a new idea on a treatment for dh (going to try it June 3rd fx). Tues I have my gtt and anti d shot, Wednesday will be a jab to prevent whooping cough, and Thursday is a growth scan for me and a MRI for dh. Yay for half term! Lol

Glad to hear you are doing well and in good spirits. I'm so glad you started this thread. Thank you :)

Hi girls :) might as well join in. I'm high risk for so many reasons main one being I can't maintain a pregnancy but so far so good :) also for
High bmi
Placenta abruption in last pregnancy at 15 weeks resulting in another loss
Sticky blood but I'm refusing the clexane this time as contributed to my sever blood loss last time and the placenta coming away fully instead of partial
High blood pressure in all my previous pregnancies and this one it keeps spiking
Think that's it lol but probably something I've forgot. So after a 19 yeah age gap with my daughter and 7 losses I'm now almost 27 weeks with a baby boy who is holding on despite all the odds. Plan is to deliver him any time after 32 weeks if my placenta don't look perfect xxx

Lilmisshopeful
I have my fingers crossed for you :O)
It is good to know there are lots of us who can share in our worries.
I wanted to ask if any of you get pains down your left side and like a dull ache in your tummy as I have had it all day today and getting a little worried.

I had all sorts of pains in that area when Iwas in tri 1 and 2. Now I tend to cramp more often and have my belly tighten up. Feels like BH to me. If it doesn't stop and you are getting worried, def call your mw to help put your mind at ease. :)

Hi ladies.

I'm a FTM.
I'm high risk due to HIGH BMI - ( like I need a medical degree to tell me I'm fat)
I had high blood pressure in 2003 and they keep telling me I'm on medication for it - erm no I'm .
My eldest sis had pre-eclampsia twice & my youngest sis had OC twice.

I'm on asprin - when i remember take it ha.

So far so good - no high blood pressure, nothing in my pee.

Welcome Lanny and Lilmiss... It sucks that you both get to join here, but it's great to have you! Lanny I hope your pregnancy continues to be as smooth as possible and Lilmisshopeful I pray and pray you get to your goal gestation before little man decided to make his appearance!

Toffee, when you say pains down your left side, are they more to the back or the front? If it's more towards the back it could be the start of a UTI/infection and would definitely be worth getting it checked out, especially if you're feeling the need to pee a lot more or there is any pain when going. Otherwise it could be anything from the way the baby is lying, to stretching pains I suppose. But if they go on for too long I'd definitely go and get it checked out.

Is anyone else feeling a bit overwhelmed with appointments?

DH just asked me to email all my appointments over to him so he can try and work out babysitting... In the next 12 weeks (between today and my birthday on the 18th August), I have AT LEAST 14 appointments. :shock: And when I say AT LEAST it's because I know more are coming in the post as well.

Think Lily is a little drama queen already and is loving all this fuss and attention! LOL

On the plus side though 6 of those appointments are ultrasounds of one type or another!

Last edited:
I know I am! I have one tues, wed, and thurs this week! Actually, just checked and it's two on Tuesday :-/. And those are just mine. I have to take hubby to one on Thursday after mine. I must admit...been a bit naughty. I should have a mw appointment this week as well and I have avoided it because I'm seeing the consultant (with a different mw) on Thursday anyways. Shame on me, I know....but I just don't see the point on seeing the consultant and mw for my 28 week appointment separatly. Is it worth trying to get into the mw too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back