When's the right time

Lyn_no3

Reaction score
OH and myself have decided we want 2 children close together again, our last 2 are 11 months apart, its hard work while they are young but i can see already they are very close and want that again for Ryan. But how soon is too soon? it was a happy accident last time and i'm not sure how long to leave this time, any thoughts would be gratefully received.

After working with lots of families with new babies and a variety of age gaps I personally would say the perfect age gap is either less than 18 months or more than 4 years!!

This seems mad as most people have an age gap of 2-3 years but when you have a small age gap the older one does not understand jealousy and accepts the baby with open arms as though it's never not been there - after the age of 4 they can understand if you are busy feeding etc and they can understand more about the baby coming and it's needs etc and join in and be part of it too.

When you have a 2/3 year old you risk having the terrible two's and a new baby together and at least when they are a bit older they are at preschool or school and you get time to rest during your pregnancy and time with the baby once it's born.

My first two are 14 months appart and it's great - they are so close and get on great - they are now 4 and 5 and can't wait to welcome the new baby, they understand all about what the baby will need etc and all about my pregnancy and to 'mind the bump' etc. Like you though I know that if we want a 4th then we are going to have to act quickly after this one!!! Not sure though, might stick with 3!!! :wink:

Good luck!!

i am on my second
my lil gurl kylie is 16 mnths so that is the age gap.

if she throws a tantrum when the new baby comes it will be extremely tough lol

i think it is a good age gap
xoxox

HI MY DAUGHTER IS 7MONTHS SHE WILL BE 14MONTHS WHEN THIS BABY IS BORN :)

I can't wait to try for another baby! I think we'll wait another 2 years, we want to buy a house first. I'd say 2-3 years is a nice gap.

My brother, my sister and I are each around 18 months apart and we are all very close and good friends. I'm going to try and aim for about the same age gap (basically a school year apart), however not always so easy to achieve in practice!!

My midwife told us that her sister walked into the living room just in time to see her 2+half year old son catapulting hre new baby across the living room by pulling back the bouncer and flinging his little sister across the room. She had carpet burns apparently!

It made us giggle, but at the same time is quite a scary story.

Good luck!!

LBxx

i have 2 girls who are a year apart and its great, i due to have my 3rd on 2nd jan and my 2 girls will be 2 yo and 1 yo when the new baby comes.

sarah

Thanks for all your replies, i love that my two boys are 11months apart and im gonna do my best to aim for that gap again, but like you said its not always as easy in practice.
I'm glad no one thinks im totally mad for wanting another so soon.
And wow sarah113 you will have 3 under 3!! that does soun dlike a lot of work!! good luck and thanks :)
Lyn ~ Ryan ~ Alex ~ Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back