When your oh hates your name

DarcyHodge

Reaction score
So way before we even started ttc I had my names picked out, to be honest I've had the name Emily Rose picked out since I was about ten and for a boy Aaron after the lead singer of my favourite band however that name is in the pan as my ex called his son that. So anyway my other half likes the name John which I don't like but would compromise as a middle name I love the name Daxton for a boy and though Dj for short as that was also my nickname after my dad. And I'm pratteling the point of the story is how do you compromise on such a huge thing when you both hate each other's names. Girls names sorted but really getting into fights over boys names!

I don't know the answer to your question really but me and my oh came to the agreement that he'd name the first if it was a boy, if it was a girl i'd name it. Then visa versa for the second... I didn't overly like his first choice (Julius!!!) but luckily he changed it later to one which I loved (Max). I don't particularly like the middle names but it was after his family so don't mind particularly as they don't get used much anyway.

As we're now expecting our second I get to choose this baby's name. I'm so indecisive its going to take me forever to 100% decide.

For now as it's early days I'd just agree with him to keep on thinking of new ones and hopefully something will click with both of you x

Last edited:
Hi love, I had the same problem with my DH over boys names. Luckily we had a gender can and it was a girl so I suppose my advice would be to find out and then worry if WW3 is going to happen! :)

No really ...my sensible advice is to just both be prepared to go completely back to the drawing board. If you don't like a name, you don't like it so how can you expect him to change his mind? I personally also couldn't compromise on a name, once its there, its there and you have to call them that for the rest of their lives. I'd always remember I didn't like it.

There are so many lovely names out there. Having expectations around kids and parenting it is always a minefield and potential for conflict, this is just the first of many. So my answer could be that the compromise is to both let go of your expectations for boys names and find one that you both agree on. xx

Me and OH have picked a name but argued for months over the spelling. I have finally given in and chose her middle name and made it clear her surname is to be hyphenated so she has both of ours so I see it as a win now lol

Thanks everyone he suggested we pick a name each and put it in a hat, I was like eh no way what if I hated his name, so we have decided both to write a list of boys names swap them over and see if we can come to a compromise as you said I don't want to cave to him when our child will be called it for the rest of their life. well unless they are like half my family and change there name through deed poll lol x

Hi :)

Im a bit late to the party here, but im having the same issue with agreeing on names. We moved to Sweden a few years ago so we wanted something that is easy for Swedish people to pronounce...I LOVE the name Elijah... but would be said with a Y instead of a J so that was vetoed...

All the other names I like are typical Swedish names, but of course my partner works with a million Christians, Elias's etc so they are all a no too...

We have agreed that we both like Axel for a boy and Amber for a girl but we still have 5 months to go so we will see if they stick!

Good luck on finding a name you both like! One of the HARDEST things to agree on!

I like the name Axel I haven't heard that in a long time,
I think we have decided on a boys name that we both like, also we are going to find out the sex which is progress as he really didn't want to x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back