When you start weaning at 6m can baby have everything?

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Meat? Dairy? Bread etc?

Or do you have to stagger it?

We're BLW and so far James has been amazing with everything.

I know it will be a good few months before he gets any nutrients from food but whilst he is so open to food I wanted to try him with as much as possible (I am quite a fussy eater)

The BLW book seems to think it's OK once he is weaning for him to have everything?

Also what about things like normal cereal (Ready Brek / Weetabix?) and things like Petite Filous?

xxxxx

Last edited:
I don't give meat or dairy til after 12 months.
Toast soldiers I give when ready, usually about 9-12 months or there about.
That's just me though x

Amelie had everything, she tried all meats but pork, several types if fish, fishstics, tikka masala, weetabix,egg, muffins, bread, pancakes, cake, chocolate, cookies, fruit yogurts etc. while I obviously don't feed her chocolate and fries all day she will have a bite when I have them which is not too often.

I was wondering this too actually. It seems odd just to start throwing all sorts at them when you've been told to take it slowly for ages!

Cosmicgirl, can I ask why? Is it a personal preference or do you have a history of allergies in your family? Xx

I'm not sure really, it's just what I've always done. Lo's aren't to be given cows milk to drink til they are over 12 months are they so that's why I don't give dairy.
I have a lot of allergies and my sister has asthma so I'm keen to avoid any allergies x

It's so confusing?

Some info says its fine to give them everything from 6m? But obviously things like rice cakes, breadsticks and stuff I am not sure?

Bread would just be an occasional thing, just to try him and I'll probably give him pitta?

Also what about dips? Humous, Guacamole etc?

xxxxx

We did get it slowly. She was weaning since the end of the 4 m. Until then she had fruit and vegetables, at 6 m chicken and gluten then next week beef and lamb then cow milk then at 7 m fish and one week later egg.

All dips are fine if they are homemade or they don't contain much salt.
Breadsticks, rice cakes are an absolute favorite with lots of babies and a perfect finger food or snack

Cow milk is only after 12 m as a drink until then it can be used for cooking, the only reason for that its that its too filling for babies to allow solids too

I was wondering this too actually. It seems odd just to start throwing all sorts at them when you've been told to take it slowly for ages!

It depends what methods you use?

BLW says to offer a variety but not too much so for example I have been offering things that look very different all at the same time... yesterday I did broccoli florets, carrot batons, mini corns and sliced red pepper but I only put out 2 of each? So he went for what he liked the look of.

I don't want to overload him but as I say he is so willing to try anything at the moment I am keen to use that to our advantage

xxxxxx

I mean with purées especially you tend to be told to do single flavours at first. Then a few combinations. Then they hit 6 months and are having chicken dinners, pasta, like family food? I haven't really thought about how to make the switch. Hope the way you did it sounds good, but none of the books or anything say how to introduce them.

I suppose it is a fine line between giving them a variety and overloading them? Xx

I mean with purées especially you tend to be told to do single flavours at first. Then a few combinations. Then they hit 6 months and are having chicken dinners, pasta, like family food? I haven't really thought about how to make the switch. Hope the way you did it sounds good, but none of the books or anything say how to introduce them.

I suppose it is a fine line between giving them a variety and overloading them? Xx

It is a minefield hun.

I have the cow and gate booklet which is really good. Also the Annable Karmel book is good too (both deal with purees)

I think you can start giving them family food - omitting salt and spices - but you basically puree it? Then at some point you will introduce finger foods.

BLW just misses the pureeing stage so in the not to distant future I will be able to give James a chicken leg to gnaw on (making sure any small bone / sinew etc is removed first)... Whereas if you are pureeing you'd take the chicken off bone and puree it with veg?

xxxxxx

Last edited:
I never gave single purées because my baby wouldn't eat them and though fruit or vegetables I always cooked with herbs, cinnamon (ok not always at 5 m and one week)
I wanted her to learn to eat full of flavor home made food as we eat as a family.
I suppose for babies that they were on bland purées only at the beginning it may take a little longer to accept "normal food" but you can gradually do it by adding meat then when she is ok with that add a couple of herbs etc and give them little pieces from your plate to try and get used to it.
Babies of this age are very adventurous with food and its quite an ideal time to introduce them to loads of new tastes but it dosent have to be all at 6 m and 1 day ifyjwim?
For example today she had
Breakfast a cheese sandwich and 1/2 fruit yogurt and tried sown of ky sandwich with brown cheese

Lunch she had chicken with vegetables, herbs and olive oil and she tried some of my hamburger and cauliflower and broccoli with butter and Philadelphia cheese and ate 1/2 of a banana

Dinner she will have either meatballs or an egg with toast to dip in (runny egg allowed in Norway before 1 but not in uk), she will probably try some of my dinner that will be meatballs and mash and she will have some rice pudding the normal kind with cow milk, sugar and cinnamon and vanila (just 1/3 of sugar for her and we will add in our plates)

Tomorrow she will have lamb with mash and pea mash
Then the day after fish sticks and vegetables
And so on.
I usually aim for one protein portion, vegetables, fruit and 1-2 slices of bread per day or breadsticks or cereal or rice or pasta etc.
All in one she has a normal adult diet just no salt, less sugar and no crap

I think you hit the nail on the head there Hope it doesn't have to be 6 months and one day! There are so many books out there about introducing foods and then about what they should be having after 6 months but nothing really about this transition.

I think I'm definitely going for a mixed approach as C does really well with her finger foods and it is a lot of fun but I would struggle to make it fresh every day for her xx

Bethan pretty much has everything now. I cook her own baby friendly purees but she will often want some of her sister's dinner to examine, taste and throw on the floor. So she's tried curry, chilli con carne, meatballs, sausages...most of which produces raspberries :rolleyes:

tapatalking

Proud mummy of Seren 15 Nov 2010 & Bethan 12 Oct 2012

Glad you brought this up Nat as I've been thinking this myself. There is a mummy I know who has given her LO chicken and he's not long past 6 months.
I suppose it's all trial and error, I'm worried M gets bored of porridge for breakfast so ill be trying boiled eggs (thoroughly boiled) toast, muffins etc
x

S has been weaning since just after 17wks, so quite good with a spoon etc and up to 3 meals a day.

BUT she shouts at me for everything I have. So within reason she has some, she didnt get my spicy chicken pizza last night. So far she's had toast, muffin, crumpet, rice cakes, biscotti, scrambled egg, just to name a few.
The more she experiences 'our' food, the sooner she'll be eating alongside us. I'm quite liking doing a bit of both now.

The only thing I've held back with is citrus fruits and honey (which is 12 mths). She has yogurt and mash with butter etc. She hasnt had much meat yet, but we've only started to introduce it.

So far James has had just fruit and veg (and baby porridge)

We've tried:
Apple, pear, mango (mango and pear were from an Ella's Kitchen pouch), bananas, melon, carrot batons, raw red pepper, avocado, sugar snap peas, baby corns, broccoil, cauliflower and green beans. He also gets a little bit of pasta to play with and will have a suck on that.

I am going to try a few more fruits and veg with him this week:
Butternut squash, swede, sweet potato, pea, peach and tomato.

I think I'll leave dairy for a few more weeks but he'll then try fresh yoghurt, cheese and maybe some toast with butter?

Meat and eggs can wait a bit longer...

xxxxx

My little man has tries most fruit and veg (he loves red pepper, sweet potato and pears!).
He hasn't had -
Bread
Dairy
Meat
Citrus
Pasta
Honey

Those things will wait til 12 months x

Weaning is by far the most confusing thing I've ever gotten in to!
I've started weaning this week, jack has baby rice or porridge for breakfast, spoon fed so I know some is going in, and then for tea I give him something to eat himself like toast soldiers, broccoli, carrot batons.
I'm becoming so aware that there's only a small window that they're willing to try new things in but at the same time I don't want to be over feeding.
Next week, he will be having breakfast and tea and random snacks that are things he can hold and try. This way he's still trying the new tastes but his little belly isn't getting filled.
I'm also constantly on edge around older family members in case they try and feed him things that I don't want! Or just too much of it. They think its 'cute' to feed him all sorts but I'm the one who will have to be dealing with a poorly and sick baby if they take it too far! Xxx

I think people talk about staggering thing in stages to see if there's an allergic reaction. So I offered dairy 1 week, wheat and gluten the next week and then meat... He gets everything now at 9 months I'm glad what iv done. I'm happy with how I have done weaning. He was never intersted in single purée's like apple, and sweet potato etc... So I just started making him meals. He has ready brek or weetabix usually for breakfast with some fruit. A mid morning snack of a yoghurt and some puffs. Then lunch I make him something like crumpets or toast etc with some fruit again. Then an afternoon snack and dinner.

He gets cows milk on food cereals etc...sauces that I make.

He's sitting watching happy feet eating a fruit loaf and butter.

I mixed TW and BLW xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back