When toddlers drop naps

kitten2014

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is more a finding out other peoples experiences and comparison with our lil miss than a question, for the last month or so our lil miss went from doing 7-7 with one midday nap to 7-4.30, after four wks of tearing hair out and early starts finally managed to fix that with earlier bedtime, gro-clock and she's almost back to 7-7 but literally a week after her nights were back to normal she started fighting naptime, only sleeping 30mins, waking up cranky and if was out in car and she fell asleep she wouldnt transfer well, if at all...The other day I gave in and didnt force the issue and she managed to go til bedtime, then the next day then the next day and now we're on day 4 and think unless im in car she wont nap. Is this typical for an 18/19mth old? Is it too early?

Her night sleep has improved just slightly and she resettles herself faster if she wakes during the night, her early rising hasnt returned which is what I was dreading so looking like thats what she was telling me lol...can't believe it though, there goes my time to myself albeit lately it hasnt been long enough for more than lunch preparation and 5mins sit down lol...I fully expect she'll sleep whenever in car as she has made that connection, sometimes she plays with toys in the car, other times she cries to be free from the restraints but most of the time just wants to sleep lol

Curious to see what other people have experienced but have noticed she seems a lot happier about it, still ask her and if she's looking sleepy will attempt naptime but more laid back about it but knowing my daughter like myself as a child, now Ive given in once think she'll always fight them now Ive let her skip once lol...

How old is she now? My 2.5year old and 15 month old have 1 nap a day still but my 2.5 year old went through a phase up to a few weeks ago where he didn't want to nap at nap time. I haven't got any suggestions for you but I know they do go through phases of not wanting naps. Sorry, not massively helpful!

They all vary and it's up to the child. My son occasionally naps but it's not standard and he's 3,5.. he's dropped all his naps at the start of the year so just over 2,5 but he never slept round the clock now he's better at doing that he only naps when it's shorter. I think when he was younger he was more easy at doing 12-14 hours so he didn't have to nap and obvs when he's poorly he still nap. But just because he usually doesn't nap doesn't mean he doesn't do it at all x

My almost 4 year old still has naps 5/7 days a week. I plan to carry on with them until he starts school.

DD stopped naps at about 2.5 by then it was hard work to get her to nap and then hard to get her to bed at night. After we stopped giving her a nap she would get a bit cranky by the end of the day but it was much easier to keep a routine. DS is 21 months and still has a nap. We find it works best if he doesnt sleep more than an hour. Every child is different though. My mum said I was less than a year old when I stopped naps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back