When to Wean?

KarolinaMoon

Reaction score
My baby girl is 4 months old, and for the past few weeks I just havent been able to fill her. She used to be such a great wee sleeper, but now is waking up through the night absolutely ravenous!! I have spoken to my HV about this, and she recommended I start weaning her. She commented that my baby girl is extremely active, rolling all the time etc etc, and will probably be needing the extra calories, also my baby girl is quite a big girl (above average length & weight for her age)....HV told me to give it a go and see.....
So I have been giving her just a few spoonfuls of baby porridge & fruit puree for the past week. She started off great, and couldnt get enough....but in the last day has refused it, doesnt seem as interested in it and seems to just want her bottle. So now I am thinking it is too early?? Also, I notice no difference in her appetite since starting her on the solids...she is as hungry as ever, ans still wakes up through the night.

I'm kinda lost on all of this. Any ideas??

xxx

Your HV doesnt sound knowleadgeable as at 4 months they have a growth spurt that a lot of people mistake for need to wean. She probably isnt ready. If she doesnt want solids, i wouldnt personally force it

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I wouldn't stress it either. If she wants her bottle that's actually perfect and how it's suppose to be as milk has far more nutrition than fruit purées calorie wise.
Also you can always offer her more purees when and if se wants them. It Dosent have to be weaning or not ifkwim.
Today it can be all milk then 3 days later maybe she wants some fruit purée too between meals etc then he other day only her milk.

Weaning in Norway starts at 4 m. I was advice to start already but Amelie Dosent want to know anything yet about food. I will try again next week and then next week and so on.
Until 6 m there is plenty of time :)
For now she joins us web we are eating. When she wants to try some she can have some but can't really force her because the hv or the Norwegian system says that's the moment for introducing solids lol.

I would try to hold off weaning until 6 months. At 4 months they go through a monster growth spurt and a sleep regression which means they wake up at night more frequently. My LO did this and I didn't start weaning until she was 6 months. I am doing baby-led weaning, so never gave purees - I waited until she showed me that she was ready to wean. Hope this helps. x

I think she actually just didnt like the particular porridge I was giving her the other day...as she has keenly taken other baby cereal and fruit purees from spoon since....and seems to definitely want it. I would never force it!
I have been advised by both health visitor and doctor to start introducing fruit, veg and baby rice/cereal. I understand they do go through a growth spurt at 3-4 months, and I am sure this is effecting my baby girl too.

I guess all babies are different. Lanna seems to really want and enjoy her fruit purees and cereal...but that is all she will be getting until 6 months. x

I started introducing purées at 17 weeks and have no regrets, now he's 6 months I'm introducing finger foods etc. At 4 months there will be days when baby is only interested in her milk and will reject the solids. He enjoyed the purées but literally snatches food from my hand now! Its totally your decision when to wean hun as only you know your baby X

I would try to hold off weaning until 6 months. At 4 months they go through a monster growth spurt and a sleep regression which means they wake up at night more frequently. My LO did this and I didn't start weaning until she was 6 months. I am doing baby-led weaning, so never gave purees - I waited until she showed me that she was ready to wean. Hope this helps. x

Same here, 6 months and baby led. I'm not a fan of early weaning personally x

I loved BLW(although in the beginning he was so impatient i.had to sometimes feed him a bit to avoid tantrums). For me sure sign was him grabbing food off my plate and eating it.
He loves his food and there isnt much he doesnt like. I wanted to avoid a fussy eater so thought fruit purees are not the best food to start with due to sweetness.
He loved his steamed carrots, sweet potato,broccoki courgette etc

I loved BLW(although in the beginning he was so impatient i.had to sometimes feed him a bit to avoid tantrums). For me sure sign was him grabbing food off my plate and eating it.
He loves his food and there isnt much he doesnt like. I wanted to avoid a fussy eater so thought fruit purees are not the best food to start with due to sweetness.
He loved his steamed carrots, sweet potato,broccoki courgette etc

Oh, yes, Tilly is super-impatient too. She literally screams if she can't pick something up that she wants to - avocado and melon have been foods she's loved the taste of but couldn't handle very well. She seems to like everything except really bland stuff like plain toast or porridge fingers. Roasted aubergine was a surprise hit the other day.

Totally up to you what you do, hun xxx

silly questions, but is giving "tastes" classed as weaning? i dont plan on weaning LO until 6 months, or as close as I can get anyway.

but from 4mths i wanted to start introducing tastes. Like one spoonful of fruit puree or veg puree (from a baby jar) per day. Is this classed as early weaning?

I got told (by the hv) that weaning means when you wean from milk so practically when you drop milk feeds. everything else is classed as tastes or fillers or if you want the beginning of weaning.

silly questions, but is giving "tastes" classed as weaning? i dont plan on weaning LO until 6 months, or as close as I can get anyway.

but from 4mths i wanted to start introducing tastes. Like one spoonful of fruit puree or veg puree (from a baby jar) per day. Is this classed as early weaning?

I give my LO tastes but I don't class it as weaning. As he doesn't get enough to replace a bottle. There's some days he loves his food and others he just wants his bottles.
Once he is 6 months I will do a mix of BLW and tw xxx

Oh in that case we've only started weaning this week! Only dropped a bottle at the beginning of the week and increased his solids x

Weaning is introducing any solid food to their diet. If you gave puree to a 1 month old, would it not be weaning?

It's so difficult nowadays to know what is the best thing to do re weaning. I have read a few articles lately about the early introduction of solids actually preventing allergies developing!!! Other advise contradicts this. So I think it is best to go with instincts and go with what your baby wants.
Lanna actually grabbed the spoon off me at dinner time yesterday, and started feeding herself...mango puree. I got some great photos of her...so cute lol. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back