When to wean off bottles?

traci

Reaction score
As the title says really. I haven't got a clue!

Jack still has a 7oz bottle at bedtime. He won't hold his bottle and TBH i've been happy with it this way because I get a good 5 min snuggle with him before he goes to bed which is rare with a 17mth old at the best of time lol

However I would like him to have his milk in bed by himself rather than on my lap before baby arrives, just becaue I can do kisses/cuddles, lay him in bed with his milk and leave him to drink it and nod off. I don't think he'd drink it from the bottle properly plus as soon as he takes it out of his mouth it will go everywhere if there's any milk left because he has fast flow teats.

He'll happily take milk from his beakers so i'm seriously thinking about giving him it in a beaker in bed, if he doesn't finish it it won't leak which is good. I'm going to just bite the bullet and give it a go I think.

So after all that waffle ..... get rid of them when you & LO are ready :) x

Grace doesn't have bottles at all now, I stopped bottles as I weaned of formula.
Everytime I changed the drink if formula to cows milk she got it in a cup rather than a bottle so by the time we ran out of the formula she didn't have bottles anymore

Mummy to Gracie 26/10/11

I did it at 11 months. Basically just got rid of all bottles at once and only offered it in a tippy cup. He was already drinking water from a tippy cup and glasses anyway and I bought one specifically for milk. I think guidelines say 12 months though x

I stopped about 16 old because he drink his milk in bed to fall asleep and I worried about his teeth.

Phoebe falls asleep on her last bottle. I really don't know how I'm going to get her out of it :(

Tapatalking :)

I am trying to give him bottle before bed bit not in bed and to space it out with a story. That way i am hoping to break the association between milk and sleep. We are still struggling with milk out of the beaker though

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Phoebe falls asleep on her last bottle. I really don't know how I'm going to get her out of it :(

Tapatalking :)

I found it surprisingly easy, I just took it off him the first few nights we had some tears but not many. He now goes with a drink of water in a lucasade bottle (they don't leak) but by night 4 and 5 he didn't care anymore. Think we expect it to be harder than it is.

We are finding this really hard , so are still on bottles, and not sure how we are going to do this!! As soon as we hand her, her sippy cup with milk, she looks at it and hands it back. She drinks at least 2 sippy cupfuls of water a day so physically using the cup is not a problem.

Will isn't great with the sippy cup, iv had to give him free flow, he drinks a fair bit bit it then turns into a toy to flick liquid around the room :roll:

I'm gonna try and sort a good sippy cup then change over.

Pos same here with my lad. It's like a milk gun.
I am still to find a sippy cup he'll drink milk from. He's only just getting the hang of water.
What's free flow? I didn't even know we had to get rid of bedtime bottle. I've reached the end of knowing what to do next!!

Alice is great using a sippy cup but then it usually gets flung across the room! Can anyone suggest a good one for milk? We have free flow ones at the mo. we did have a tommee tippee explora one with the soft teat but it leaked really badly.

I've decided to get Jack off of his bedtime bottle (only 1 he has now) from Monday! First of all i'll offer in in his beaker while snuggling on my lap as usual then when i'm confident he'll drink a fair amount from the beaker i'm going to leave him to it with the beaker in bed. Eeek my baby boy is growing up! x

Good old NHS advice again - Read the Beakers and Cups section for their advice.

Personally E never took to a bottle after her initial use of one at a couple of months old. So she went on to a sippy cup at 4 months old, though didn't get the hang of it for a while. She now happily drinks from any solid spout sippy cup and even drinks from our cups when we have milk.

Also when moving on to a sippy cup, don't use the soft teat style spouts as they will do just as much damage to the teeth as bottle teats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back