when to wean? how do you now

Lucyiwan12

Reaction score
Hi all

How do you know when its time to wean ur lo.

Anyone got any tips or advice.

My lo wont be 6 months till december but just wanting to look in to it and get a better understanding

I think it's a personal choice. They say not to wean your baby until 6 months although some mums start earlier and you shouldn't wait much longer than that as your baby starts to need other nutrients than milk, so you need to start getting them used to it. I didn't look for signs but just waited until Harry was 6 months and then just went for it! Hope that helps xx

Signs of being truly ready to wean are;

being able to sit upright (its not exactly great to eat lying down) not necessarily unaided, but pretty upright so food can be easily swallowed.

Being able to get food quickly and accurately to their mouth. - this is not the same as chewing on everything, babies do that to learn.

Making chewing motions.

For most kids these appear around 6months ish. My Dd1 was 4.5 though, so are earlier.

17 weeks really is the absolute earliest you should wean as LOs gut is not mature enough before that, earlier increases risk of allergies, ibs etc.

Contrary to what you may here - waking in the night is NOT a sign to wean (4 month sleep regression is very common!!) solids will NOT make your baby sleep longer/better etc.

And an increase in milk intake is most likely due to a growth spurt, not wanting food. BM/formula are higher in calories than what ur LO will eat when you start weaning .

^^^ wss

Also, gumming fist - but more controlled than just finding mouth with fist, and watching you eat avidly. I began very slow weaning with my lo at around 5 months - banana mushed with formula milk, baby rice. He took to it really well and was really adventurous with his food when he'd been weaned.

Different story now unfortunately - but he is very good at the technical stuff - using fork, drinking from cup etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back