When to tell work

sarahmc89

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I have my first mw appointment 06 of December and scan 04 January. Anyone know when it would be best to tell work?

I'm a territory manager so spend most of my time driving up to 50+ miles a day. I usually don't do any heavy lifting but I do need to build heavy cardboard displays sometimes and with christmas coming up it will be more and more likely I'll have to be moving and arranging things.

I don't do overtime so I'm not worried about hours etc. OH is just worried that it will make my chances of any sort of end of year pay rise impossible.

If you want a raise I'd wait and tell them in the new year.
Is there anyone that could help you with the displays?

I told my boss a few days ago, but thats because I work 8+ hours on my feet and constantly moving.

Hope it works out for you :) x

Hey Sarah!

I'm not telling my work until after my first scan so will be in the new year I imagine. My first mw appointment is on the 21st November, haven't got a scan appointment yet xxx

I'll probably tell clients after my first scan too next month

I'm planning on telling work at around 18/19 ish weeks (this is mainly due to not being able to tell my parents before then). I work on a dairy farm, which does have quite a few risks but I work with my husband and he obviously knows so is covering tricky tasks for me at the moment.

I'm not telling until after 12 week scan, none of their business til then! I also work in an office job so no risk, i may feel differently if I had a manual/active job.

I'm feeling really nervous about telling mine as it's my 3rd maternity leave in 5 years with the same employer. I've only been back off my last maternity leave for 4 months lol. Obviously legally they won't be able to say anything except congratulations but I'm sure there's going to be a few bitchy comments about me behind closed doors! Eek! It's definitely our last baby though so I just think they have 30+ years of work out of me after this, im just getting it all over with in 1 go lol xxx

It's personal preference. I wasn't feeling great so I told work, but only those immediately in my work group as I was struggling and ended up missing 2 days a week for several weeks.

There are 3 of us pregnant at work right now, all due within 4 weeks of each other.

Good question, I was wondering the same.

I work 12.5 hour shifts on a really busy ward so I'm probably going to have to tell them quite soon..

My problem is that with me only being part time I hardly ever see the ward manager.. would it be completely inappropriate to e-mail her?!

I sent an email because it was easier that way to notify the people who needed to know without having to track them down. But if you'd rather tell in person, them maybe email to request a meeting.

I still haven't told work yet and I work with kids. Officially you don't have to tell them until 24 weeks but that's at your own risk. Where only telling people at Christmas so I don't want to tell work yet xx

Thank you ladies think I will wait until after new year. Which is when most of my appointments will be anyway. Just want to give them enough time to find someone to cover mat leave as well. I think it's more scary telling work than anything else lol. I know they can't do anything like fire you but it's still how you think they see you from then on.

I feel the same Sarah, I have a good relationship with my boss but still really nervous to tell him!.. But I think he must have considered that it was going to happen at some point!

I can't wait to tell the family at christmas then I'll tell work in the new year when I'm ready. x

Same plan we have Keeley have you decided how you're going to tell family? We were thinking just in a wee card and pass it out at Christmas dinner as we are going to be round most of OH family that day. Will tell my mum etc christmas eve or something. My two sisters already know cos I'm rubbish bahaha.

I haven't told anybody yet.. we're a bit split all over the place at christmas, we are seeing my OH's mum christmas eve, his dad christmas day and my parents boxing day!.. For my parents I'm going to make a special xmas cracker they can pull between them and put a dummy inside with a little note attached to it with ribbon (saw it done elsewhere and was really cute!).. I also saw a very cute gift box that had a note saying 'Grandparents starter kit'.. this will be the first grandchild on my OH's side so thought that sounded nice.. it was a box that had a dummy, bottle and little baby grow and booties - i definitely want to tell them in some sort of cool way rather then just coming out with it! xxx

Omg that's too cute! I love the cracker idea. They will be totally shocked and not expect that at all.

I work with kids in special needs and told my boss right away. Some of them can be very aggressive and I already had had a mc whilst working there so was not taking chances this time. I know have my beautiful bubba but it's up to you, you could just tell your boss now and then everyone one else after your scan.

I love the cracker idea! I'm not sure when we are telling but it is likely to be before Christmas otherwise I may have borrowed that one :) Off to search for inspiration for the grandparent starter kit too, as it will be my parents first (and maybe only) grandchild.

I got those ideas from Pinterest, lots of inspiration on there!

xx

Because of my previous 2 losses at my 12 weeks scan I will be telling family, friends and work after my scan.

I told my line manager at 5 weeks as most days I'm not feeling 100% and not on top form. Plus I have had to have 3 early scan appointments due to previous mc and ectopic.
I haven't told my team members yet though but I work from home so it's easier for me to cover it up when I'm having an 'off' day.
I will tell them all after my 12 week scan which should hopefully be in a few weeks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back