When to tell other child/children

Shell99

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm only 6 weeks and have t told family yet at all. We really want to try n wait until 20 weeks for various reasons.

I have one other daughter who turns 8 in two weeks who has asked for years for a brother or sister.

I plan to tell her at the 20 week mark too I think n let her tell our family...,

When did you/ are you telling your other children? How old are they? Reactions etc?

I think with kids it's best to wait it out for the obvious safer period but also she'll get so frustrated having to wait so long (how many more sleeps mum?! Etc) but I think not too late as they need time to adjust n get used to the idea etc

Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

Congratulations shell. I have 4 children and am pregnant with my last child. My first three are older but when i had young son 2.5 years ago they were 9,10 and 12.

I have all boys except for one daughter who was eight too when we told her about the baby.

I was going to tell them at 12 weeks, then waited for results of nuchal screening, then as i had a cvs due to coming back high risk we had extra two weeks to wait for full results, so we ended up telling them at 17 weeks. Considering they were older and my body had started changing shape by then, they had no idea!!

We had lost a baby a month or so before falling pregnant with my son , lost at 12 weeks do was so pleased we had waited, i cant imagine having to tell them about that, they know now but not at the time.

This time i was lower risk and a little quicker to show, we told them at 14 weeks.

Conratulations of your pregnancy, your daughter will be delighted x

Its a lovely age gap , esp with your child being a daughter, my daughter was soo helpful and still is, the boys only see my son for a tiny portion of the day, but shes always ready to play with him.

Were having a sibling for him to grow up with now

Last edited:
Hi JJ mum

Congratulations on your pregnancy too! Thanks for the advice/ info

I can't wait to tell her like you said, she'll be delighted! Just hope the 20 week mark is the right time.

What a busy little house too must have with 4 and 1 on the way! Sounds great! We're hoping for a big family now too :)

Xxx

Mine are 7 and 4, and also a 10 year old step daughter. we plan to tell them after 12 week scan if all ok. I miscarried last month at almost 11 weeks, so I'm a bit worried with this pregnancy. But we've always been quite open with the kids, so if anything goes wrong with pregnancy I will have an explanation ready for them.

They might be a bit more understanding why I'm not feeling well too. And it will prepare them for all the changes to come, especially the room changes!

My son is 7 and we plan to tell him after 12 week scan, I know he will be so excited and im already starting to show so only a matter of time before he will find out

My little boy is only 16 months old, so it's not really possible to get him to understand. Although I have started early in saying "don't hit mummy's tummy, mummy has a baby in there" because he is very much into the stage of hitting/slapping in temper at the moment and I want to try and stop him hitting so much before the baby is less well padded out.

I think 20 weeks is a lovely time to announce to people! (I'd have had no chance at hiding it because I was already huge by then lol) Are you going to find out what you are having? It would be a lovely surprise to get a baby grow saying little brother/sister and your daughter a tshirt saying big sister and then give them both to her wrapped up to open :) awww, I bet she's so excited when you tell her!

XxX

My son is 2 and half. I've told him but he doesnt really understand yet ... and ive also told him he cant jump on my tummy and hit my tummy and his dad has got a teddy and tells him stroke him ha so im sure when we have him/her my son will try and help in his own way xxxx

I have told my nearly 6 year old daughter already, but only because she was getting very worried with me being sick all time. Have showed her a picture of my early scan at 7weeks and told her it was the babys seed and that we just need to hope she/he grows really big and strong now. She is very excited and was already telling me the day before that she knew i was having a baby apparently. Think some kids just know, little monkeys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back