When to stop folic acid and question on multi vits

LD1978

Reaction score
Hey ladies,

I was just wondering when you stopped your folic acid? I cant remember if my midwife said 13 or 14 weeks. Also does it do any harm if you keep taking it after? My friends a nurtionist and recommended a high potency pregnancy multi vit made by a company called nutri. They have higher levels of vits but made for pregnancy so must be safe. They contain folate though which is the natural version of folic acid so wondered if its ok to take past the 13/14 weeks.

I havent taken them so far as they are like horse pills and when nauseous just stuck to the teeny tiny folic!! Do baba's still need all the vits once they are formed??

Being pregnant is a minefield, worry about every little thing to eat and drink. Ive cut coffee out quite a bit and worried about my one coffee this morning even though midwife said odd cup was fine. Pregnancy makes me crazy ha ha! xx

I have been wondering about this, Im still taking a daily pregnancy vit and not sure if I should be xxx

I'm taking a Tesco pregnancy multivitamin and my midwife said to keep taking all the way through even though it's got folic acid in xx

My midwife was saying most foods nowadays have folic acid in them. So im guessing its ok. I need to start taking vitamins. Any recommendations? Xxx

Its fine to continue to keep taking them in your multi vitamins, i do, and 2 midwifes said its fine to do sox

I have taken both pregnacare and the seven seas one and both have been good and pretty cheap :) xx

I tale seven seas pregnancy multi vitamin, theres also one called centurium pregnancy vitamin, any multi vitamin really as long as it says its for pregnancyx

I'm still taking folic acid and vitamin D as can only swallow really tiny tablets and my midwife said this was fine? X

Twinkle - have a look at nutri multi vit essentials, they arent cheap but were recommended to me by a nutrionist who said some of the boots ones etc dont have enough in them x

I was told to carry on, I still take folic acid, a strong b6 & 2 x strong d3. I'm 22 weeks x

I stopped taking folic acid at 13 weeks as I was told it is only really needed during tri 1 while baby is growing all it's bones, organs etc as it helps reduce chance of spina bifida. Baby is fully formed by end of tri one and just needs to grow bigger so you can stop taking it. Won't do any harm if you continue to take it though as I read that your body cannot store excess folic acid so anything it doesn't need will just be lost as waste :)

I haven't taken any other vitamins at all, I got my vitamin D, calcium and fish oil pills from midwife at my 16 week appointment yesterday and she told me to speak to doctor about iron tablets but apart from that I probably won't take anything else x

The midwife said at my booking in app it's good to take the multi vitamins the whole way through as its good for you and baby. I just take the pregnacare ones.

Xxx

I take boots own pregnancy support which has folic acid in it and my consultant had a look through what's in them and said they're fine x

I stopped at around 16 weeks I think

Still take vitamins and try to drink a lot of milk though :)

I still take my pregnancy vits as at least then I know I'm getting all the vits I need, even if I don't eat enough veg that day etc. (i do try!)
I also have calcium/vit D and omega 3 supplements as they are free to pregnant ladies in this area.
Like people said, there's no problem taking folic acid still.

Last edited:
I take pregnacare (with iron) did the ones with omega 3 at first now just on pregnacare (with iron) it doesn't matter if you take folic acid all the way through. These vitamins all have the recommended daily allowance of vitamins and wouldn't want to take higher doses. As long as there is not vit a in them they are fine for pregnancy.

I take the Boots Own Pregnancy Multivit, with extra Omega 3 Oil, as I don't eat fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back