When to start buying?

HopeJoy29

Reaction score
Hi

I have only been buying in toiletries for the baby and not much else. Im 17 weeks i was wondering when i should start buying? And also... What have u ladies bought? xx

I couldn't resist these in asda sale ...... £47.50 worth of stuff for £27, too good a bargain to pass on!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 44
My MIL got my pram at 17 weeks and I got nursery furniture in the sale at x mass I was 19 weeks I only did this as they had a small number left.
I wanted to wait till my 20 week scan, I didn't buy clothes till then. Reason for this was that's when you discover if there is any abnormalities with your child. Iv heard of people finding out there child would have life limiting conditions and then decided for a termination. Also not saying I would have a termination if that was the case but I thought I should wait. Not trying to scare you I'm sure you are fine. I didn't want to buy anything till I knew she was ok. Also you can find out what sex you are having if you want to. Then you can buy lots of cute dresses or cute shirt and jeans xx

I've bought loads of clothes - mostly short sleeved vests, a few babygrows, and a few rompers and cotton dungarees. And bibs, 2 muslins, and cloth nappies.

Not bought toiletries as baby will only be cleaned with water and cloth wipes/flannels for several months so no need to buy that now.

I'm waiting til around May to buy a breastpump & milk storage pots/bags and the car seat. Need to resist buying them til after my eldest's birthday (12 in April), so trying to make sure I have lots left for that as they need new clothes and want a skateboard and a phone!! :shock::rolleyes:

I started buying clothes and slings and nappies right from finding out at the end of October lol. But not much and only sale items. Most things have been bought in the last month or two.

I don't need any more now, so trying to be good.

My aunty is going to knit me a few cardigans (I'm supplying her with the yarn, hoping to get at least 3 cardis out of the amount of yarn I got) so that will be something nice to look forward to.

Last edited:
Love hand knitted stuff, might do some for myself, well for baby not me lol! I used to knit years ago but fell away from it, knitted both my nieces christening shawls many moons ago.

My grandma taught me when I was young, but I never really progressed past the scarf ability ;) And then I soon forgot how to do it.

When I was pregnant with my eldest child my aunty knitted me some lovely cardigans with matching bootees, and I used them on both my older two, but my youngest is 9 and a half so they've long since been passed on or given to charity etc.
I felt a bit cheeky asking my aunt to knit some more for me, but figured it's not as bad if I at least supply the yarn :)

Her son's fiance (wife next week) is also due around July and she's knit something for their baby my mum told me.
But they (my cousin and his wife-to-be) live in Cumbria and I'm in Yorkshire and we don't speak.

Last edited:
You used to be able to buy hand knitted stuff from market stalls etc but I think it's fell away from fashion nowadays, pity really as it's so adorable and cosy. My mum always knitted our stuff as kids and I remember when my sister and I were getting a wee bit older we cried and asked for a shop bought school cardigan to be the same as our friends!

I'd pretty much bought everything by 20 weeks (After finding out gender at 16). Just the car seat for me to get now. I wish I'd eeked it out a bit, but I was just too excited.

Last edited:
We we r on our first shopping trip yesterday at 19+3. We ordered our cot bed and changing unit for the nursery. Hoping to find the nursery bedding that we both like today and get the paint. So we've started to make progress. 20 week scan is on Friday and were staying team yellow xx

I am 20 weeks. All I have bought is a few clothes after finding out gender last week. I don't think there is a right time to start buying anything, just when you see things and can afford to. Everyone will have the essentials once baby arrives.

Saying that I am going to look at a pram today. Want a silver cross surf but can't afford new one so looking at second hand. Will let you know if I buy.

I am also wanting some wraps which I never had last time and also want a crib but I like the snuzpod as it rocks and my first LO loved his swinging crib xx

I was a bit naughty and started buying at 6 weeks but only cos I found a few bargains. Now waiting to find out sex before I buy anymore x

I haven't bought anything myself yet at 15 weeks, but a friend at work has bought 6 Disney vests, my little sister has bought a Disney Dumbo onesie and a changing bag, my grandma has knitted a cardigan and my dad has bought a bath towel, next to you crib and a pram travel system with car seat and further changing bag! :)
I think my family might be a bit excited!

I just bought my first things to get delivered to our new house. A Sola2 5 piece travel system ( pram etc ) + a co sleeper bed from mamas and papas. Good deal on the pram so wanted to get it. Have not bought anything else at 21 weeks but moving house so no point.. Xxx

With our son we had a list at a baby store. We only started buying/receiving things from 24 weeks, but we went and made the list just after the 12 week scan :p we also bought a soother and a stuffed animal before 12 weeks then. Now we only need a few new things and haven't bought anything yet at 15 weeks. When we know the sex, I'll go looking for some cute new clothes :)

With Jackson we waited until after 20w for most of ours.

After the 12w Im starting adding first size nappies to the weekly shop just to stock up can never go wrong with nappies and then next month Im doing the room furniture because they will be sharing and need full furniture and a new bed for Jackson. Then Ill plan to get my pram after 20w, actually thinking going with navy but still Ill wait incase I see something nice later.

Probably get the snuzpod after I do the room furniture so its mostly complete and I can just pick a theme and colour and add accessories when I find out the gender.

Clothes Ive no idea, again probably around 6m mark theyr so easy to come by and can pick these up when Ive got all my big stuff in and out the way and again know gender.

From now until 20w baby wise itll mainly be odd bits like nappies, toiletries and stuff for my mat bag because again thats just wee fiddley things I can pick up as the weeks go on.. The fun n games and colour come after 20w for us.

Im still doing up my flat too so trying to get all that done then after baby stuff ill get in christmas or atleast start because no way ill manage a full christmas shop with an 8w old and almost 4yr old. Jacksons 4 early jan too then its alot of birthdays so for us buying bits over the course helps spread the cost too.

xxxx

I saw my mum today and mentioned needing a car seat and she said they have some Argos vouchers I can use to buy a car seat with :)

With clothes you are best waiting for sales if you can.
I got quite a few things in the Christmas sales. And at the end of the summer they will probably reduce a lot of baby clothes to get rid ready for their new autumn/winter lines.... just make sure what you get will be suitable for when your baby is born (ie not too summery and light weight/short sleeves etc if you're due in autumn/winter lol.)
On another site I'm on a woman had a scan and found out the gender so posted a pic of gender specific clothes she'd bought and they looked like really thick velour babygrows with feet and matching medium-weight hats, and a fleecy blanket... the baby is due in the middle of summer lol.
Well it is England so I guess it could well be cold, but personally I've bought mostly vests in first size, only 8 small sleepsuits with feet, and about 8 footless rompers & dungarees, some long sleeve, some short sleeved.
My auntie will knit me a newborn size cardigan and one or two slightly bigger 0-3m ones and I have socks and bootee/slipper socks for colder days... but I'm really hoping for sun! LOL.

hey, you'll probably just decide when you are ready. For some reason I just couldn't start buying. I think I was worried id go mad and over-buy and also curious how good the sales would be.i ended up just getting nothing until about 30 weeks in the sales!

it will all come together c when you are ready :). My view is, there's 24/7 asdas around now so you'll probably never be in a position where you can't get something you desperately need!

enjoy the shopping spree when it starts!

We're pretty much done :) Hubby decorated the nursery this weekend and we're having new carpet and curtains fitted within the next week or so and then we know what cot and wardrobe we're getting so just need to get those delivered and bedding and I think that is pretty much it!
We did lots of our shopping in the Christmas sales xx

I'm not buying anything till after the 20 week scan (which is Wednesday!!).

I'm just very nervous and want to hear everything is OK (or as OK as they can say) before I start buying. Also we are in a one bed flat for the first year - so space is limited

Thanks everyone for your replies. I suppose its all down to everyones own personal choice when and what do buy. Its the most exciting but nerve racking time ever. I have such a big gap so i feel like this is my first even tho its my second xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back