When to introduce food?

Hypnorm

Reaction score
hi,Ewan is now 13wks, and is now taking a real interest in food esp when me or hubby is eating ewan watches the food going from plate to mouth. so i was thinking about giving him some baby rice for him to try without reducing his milk intake as he is breast fed. hewas 8lb when born so quite a big lad!!
wasn't planning to wean him till 6 months but if he's showing interest now...
Any ideas?

i have taken hannah to dr today she is 13 weeks and showing interest in food so i gave her solids 4 days ago but the dr went mad when i told her and said i am doing more harm than good and to stop straight away as i could be damaging her gut so i have'nt given her any food today so it's up to you

I started Ava on rice cereal a couple of weeks ago at 3-1/2 months old. It's recommended to wait until your baby is 4-6months old before introducing solids. If you really think your baby is needing more, you can try a little bit. You know your baby best. Rice cereal is the best to start with because it is least likely to cause an allergic reaction and is easy to digest. Talk to your baby's pediatrician about it first. :wink:

I think everyone has there own opinion on this one.

My mum first gave me solids (semolina) at 4 weeks old and I'm fine. I also gave my four year old rusks mushed down with milk at about 6 - 8 weeks and he is fine so it's all up to you.

I would recommend asking your h/v tho.

I agree with Ashley, it's a personal thing, i would go by your baby, the guidelines have only just changed from 4 to now 6 months, so a few months ago 4 was fine.

My mum ended up weaning some of us very early and we are all well and she even fed one of us on condensed milk - which is a total no no these days!

I am going to start soon I think, no way i can wait till 6 months, he is showing interest and I can't wait!

Baby rice is a good starter and take is slow and enjoy :)

I'm probably gonna sound bad here but I started giving Reece baby rice when he was less than 3 months old. Then I tried him with rusks. He loved both of them.

Now he has 'cow and gate sunshine banana cereal' every morning and he gets excited everytime he see me preparing it. At tea time he gets half a jar of baby food, such as fie pie, and half his milk.

I have been told at my classes that weaning is now not reccomended till 6 months old as they cannot digest solid food as their gut is too delicate, and definately not before 4 months.

I haven't got a clue personally though!! :shock: I would say it's personal choice.

First of all i gotta say if you shouldnt start weaning til 6 months because its dangerous how come Cow and Gate, Heinz etc... still have food from 4 months? :?
I dont know when i am am gonna strt weaning Jack think am just going to let him lead me, like i did emily.
I started Emily on baby rice when she was around 3 month as she was always hungry (9oz every 2 hrs!!) and my health visitor said to give 2 bottles!!! Then made me feel rubbish because she made a big thing of how she was breastfeeding her twinss GRRR.
Anyway i did baby rice with Emily for about 2 week once aday with har milk, then i introduced pureed veg with bottle twice a day but reduced milk slighly and she was very happy and i just worked thru it like that until she had little milk with meals, about 5oz in morn with brekkie and about 3oz with dinner and tea then one full bottle for supper.
She is now a lovely healthy seven year old.

Also if you wait til 6 month to start weaning when on earth do you introduce finger food???? as i did with Em at around 6month

I AM ETERNALLY CONFUSED WITH ALL THIS CONFLICTING ADVICE!!!!

jo said:
First of all I gotta say if you shouldnt start weaning til 6 months because its dangerous how come Cow and Gate, Heinz etc... still have food from 4 months? :?

I think they have it as there was a rule that you shouldnt start before 4 months initially in place, but all the recent studies suggest 6 months now as their guts are still delicate. I wont be trying my baby on solids till at least 5 or 6 months, but that's my own personal thing.

Remember though, Heinz/Cow and Gate are there to sell to those who will buy it. Cow and Gate have been under a lot of investigation over the years too regarding their products - not saying any of it had truth in it or not though.

Honestly though - I'd say let your baby lead you. If near 3.5 months he/she is always hungry and seems keen to try it - then give it a go!

My friends baby is 10 months and still isn't interested in solids! She is HUGE too and quite happy on milk and sloppy stuff. I guess they'll let you know when they are ready !

Jamie is exactly the same , he is taking a real interest in food and was considering trying him with some baby rice!! i just dont know thou! im so confused as to all this weaning!!. wasnt planning to wean till about 5/6months

Hypnorm how is it going with Ewan?? have you tryed introducing food yet? just wondered as him and jamie are similar in age!

ethan is now on solids well its not solid more like slop but hes such a hungry baby that he has his recommended 25 oz of sma 2nd milk and 3 meals aday hes quite happy and his weight gain is great he has taken to eaten froma spoon so well its great he had spag bol for tea 2nite i know it may be a bit early but he wasnt happy with 10 bottles of 6 oz and neither was i its more than double what he should of had so hes bk to recommended and with a bit of taste im looking forward to him having xmas dinner with us

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back