When to go on Mat Leave - Help!!

Skidoo

Reaction score
Just hoping for some input as I'm dithering about when to start my maternity leave.

I'm due on 16 Feb and I'm thinking I could work until 3 Feb. I get 9 wks full pay and 18 half pay and then can add a/l on the end of that so I wouldn't have to go back until mid-Sept (nearly). I really want as much time after the birth as poss to be w. my little girl!!!

But is it really feasible to work up to 13 days before EDD? I'll be using some a/l (get quite a lot!) to work 4 day weeks after xmas, but worried that it will just be too tiring and I won't be able to cope!

Hi,

If you have annual leave could you not use that before your mat leave? Then you could start your mat leave on 3rd Feb. I am currently 34 weeks and my mat leave doesn't start till 28th Nov but I am having 2 weeks annual leave after next week. I am ready for it, am very tired now and find it hard to concentrate plus have SPD so I couldn't work any closer but you might find that you can work till 2 weks before, a friend of mine worked till a week before her EDD (no idea how). I guess it depends on your job, my job does mean I can sit down for long periods but I also have to walk around and it is quite stresful at times so that's why I want to finish when I am. x

Thanks Beanie -

I've handed in the paperwork now and will be working 4 day weeks from the New Year and stopping work on 3 Feb. I just hope I don't feel too tired, but think that the long w/ends will help!

Cheers

- Skidoo

i took my mat leave 11 weeks before i was due as my job is very active and i was on my feet all the time i think its a really personal thing some women can go right up to there due date and some cant

Well I'm finishing about five weeks before the due date. Some of that is the christmas break anyway, and I can't see me wanting to drag myself back to work after christmas.

I am a bit of a wimp though and I am taking shorter weeks (using up annual leave to do it) from the 16th November. So my last full week is next week. This should ease me into being at home more during the week.

Im finishing 12 days before my EED. I have 5 days of leave left after Ive taken my xmas hols off so I may use them up before my mat leave officially starts.

my EDD is 20th of feb, and I will be starting my Maternity leave on the 16th of Jan...Am an MFL teacher with responsablities in the school and can't really imagine doing much longer with my back problems! it's already started to be VERY tiring!
I think it really depends on your physical condition! last year, one of my colleague had planned to leave 2 weeks before EDD, but she ws called to hospital from school, because of pre-eclampsia!
She did not even get time to say good bye and sort her stuff out! I want to be able to plan my departure, and have a nice meal out with my colleagues!

mel xx

I'm taking Maternity Allowance from tomorrow - the beginning of my 29th week. I was working for a temp employer and only doing office work where I could sit down for most of the day but due to the recent episode in hospital I can't take any chances and am leaving for good now.

Like everyone else has said - personal preference really - if you have a good pregnancy then work as long as you want to, but if there are possibilities of complications then I'd take it a little earlier. But if you're ill in the 6 weeks before SMP is due to start your employer can make you start it then.

Hope it all goes well x

Hi

I'm due 8th Feb and my official maternity leave starts on Sun 5th Feb but my last day in the office is Thurs 12th Jan (taking from Fri 13th Jan to Fri 3rd Feb as annual leave). The HR dept at work have told me that even though I have informed them in writing of the above if I feel that nearer the time I can't carry on I can contact them and the annual leave/start of maternity leave can be brought forward.

I am hoping to take additional maternity leave so that's why I'm using my holidays before I go on maternity leave as otherwise I don't get paid for the annual leave until after AML (which would be Dec 06) - seemed silly to get paid on ordinary maternity leave then take the unpaid additional maternity leave to then get paid 6 months later for my holidays! Even though I'll still get some payment for the holidays I accrue during AML.

HTH

Lucy
26 + 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27