When to buy?

Sugarpop

Reaction score
So I was just wondering when people started to buy things? So far we have a ton of muslins, one vest & my mum has started stock piling anything and everything cute. We are just over 14 weeks. My main issue is that the car seat we want is currently £90 cheaper than full price & just found our top of the list pram for £100 cheaper also. Just don't know if I'm stupid for even thinking about it so early.

So I was just wondering when people started to buy things? So far we have a ton of muslins, one vest & my mum has started stock piling anything and everything cute. We are just over 14 weeks. My main issue is that the car seat we want is currently £90 cheaper than full price & just found our top of the list pram for £100 cheaper also. Just don't know if I'm stupid for even thinking about it so early.

Loads of people start buying straight after the 12 week scan, others wait until after the 20 week scan, I think if everything looked good at 12 week scan the huge majority of pregnancies then result in successful live births, so there’s no real reason not to start buying things, i think sometimes you’ve just got to take a leap of faith, think positive and believe that everything is going to be absolutely fine! I bought a few little bits of clothes after 12 week scan but big stuff after 20 week scan mainly because I was waiting for the Xmas/jan sales and to find out the gender! X

I agree with above, it seems silly not to buy things when they're on a good deal. We bought our pushchair and car seat after the 12 week scan as we knew we'd be in for delivery and there was a good offer on.

I think it's good to spread the cost of things as well. Otherwise we would have had to buy everything over Christmas.

I'm crazy organised so last time bought everything after our 12 weeks scan - also because this coincided with January sales! But it was also a very high risk pregnancy so we bought our travel system from mamas and papas, who give a full refund if there turns out to be any problem, regardless of how much in advance the item was bought - so it wouldn't be a problem if purchasing from there? Xx

Let yourself go hun! The first thing I had bought was a high chair (actually it was more out of fear that my SIL would force her ugly one on me!). I found the last one they were selling at the baby store since the brand was being removed from their shelves. I got a good deal on it.
For clothes, I waited till I knew the gender.
Then asked for opinions of other mothers to see what I needed.
I had a very clear-headed friend who gave me the best advice, I barely got anything I didn't use.
Muslin is always a good idea! I would recommend bibs with either string to attach or clips, I hated the velcro ones since they would sometimes get stuck to clothing during washing and ruin them.
I never got a changing table either. Just a changing pillow (in winter, covered it with a large muslin cloth) which I would place on a buffet in the living room. I also got one for upstairs for the baby's room. When they won't need diapers anymore, I would just have to get rid of the pillows instead of a huge changing station.
You could just wait for good deals and keep your eyes open for sales.
Good luck Sugar!x

I have already bought a bassinet stand. We want to get the Uppababy pram and bassinet as the baby can sleep in the bassinet overnight for the first few months which will save us some space until we move into a bigger apartment (currently in a 1 bed and lease isn't up until August). It was on sale, for the equivalent of about £35/40 rather than the £120-150 it normally is. With my 20 week scan in a couple of weeks I'm probably not going to buy anything else until after unless anything else goes on sale or comes up on 2nd hand sites but I have a Pinterest board of cute outfits ready to buy. It's much harder to find cute stuff for baby boys and he has already been invited to family wedding so I decided to start planning early, even if I don't buy anything yet.

I waited until I knew baby’s gender... so 16 weeks. That’s only because everything gender neutral is gray and I hate it! We bought her a hungry caterpillar rocking chair after our 7 week scan though lol. I didn’t buy anything big until after 20 weeks though. No real reason, it just didn’t feel real before then!

I will admit that I have already started buying some small things. I'm only 4+6 so they're not huge things, just a few vests.

Well yesterday we took the plunge.

We put a deposit down on the pram! Has to be paid by 1st May for a June delivery. I put it on my credit card in case the company go bust :lol:0

Exciting, I think it's fine to start buying stuff after the 12 week scan. Clothing wise I will wait until after the gender scan as I'm not a fan of neutral colours. x

I think you just have to do what feels right. The bigger items are so expensive so if you find a good deal, you need to snap it up. I waited until after 20 week scan but a March BFP and a November baby meant no January sales for me so I think if I'd had those I'd have felt differently!!

Well it is very tempting, isn't it? I've thankfully got some friends that I know we'll be getting things from, so I have to get to a place with cleaning so that the baby has room for a nursery of sorts. As I'm not sure what we'll be getting from others, I haven't really bought anything yet.
I just found out my sister in law still has the crib her late father (our baby's grandfather) made, which would be such a blessing as it would be something our baby could have of him, my husband still misses his father a lot so I tear up thinking that something like that exists that could be used by the baby.
Outfits etc I figure if I find a sale I'll opt for brown and yellow or green that would be able to go on a boy or girl, and get the useful things like onesies and not go with cute outer garments just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back