When to buy maternity bras

Tillyfloss

Reaction score
When did you start wearing no wired bras?
My boobs didn't grow during my previous pregnancies only day 4 when milk came in and that was it, they never leaked or anything I hardly had anything, as they didn't grow I didn't bother changing my bras and stuck with my normal wired ones, now I'm wondering if by wearing them did I stop the milk from being produced as much and stopped them from getting bigger?
I didn't breast feed and never wanted to so it didn't really cross my mind, but I'm older now and am thinking I might breast feed or do combo feeding, if possible, so should I get unwired bras and when'sthe ideal time? Thanks

Hey! I am overdue and haven't brought one maternity bra, they simply don't support me so I have stuck with my usual underwired bras and my midwife said that is fine.

I got my nursing bras about 2 weeks ago, and I got them because I am definitely breastfeeding, so I am going to have to give in and have the crap floppy bras for a while whilst I feed.

You really don't have to go into maternity bras. I am a 36 J in bra size and I go to bravissimo for my bras and they also advised me that I don't have to go into maternity bras xx

ps I did this with my daughter and successfully breastfed for a year so I don't think it is anything to do with the bras xx

I've bought some cheap none underwired ones and I'm only 7 weeks but my boobs have grown a bit. I don't like underwire while I'm pregnant because I don't want to affect my ducts at all.

I've ended up in an M&S minimiser bra, it's the comfiest thing I've every worn, I found that shaped/lightly padded were uncomfortable but love a good wired bra.

Ive got 1 nursing bra so far, will buy two more, possibly getting measured for them in a few weeks. X

I've not worn maternity bras, like flexilexi I am a J cup so I just got measured and then when they got tight used a back extender. Probably not the best but when bras cost £30 minimum I just can't afford a new one each time!!
I'm going to be measured for a nursing bra next week when I'll be 37 weeks. Everything ive read says don't get measured before 38 weeks but that's a bit close!!

I'm already wearing one! Only because I already had some from my last time and they are so comfy.. My boobs have grown though (I was a 34c and now i'm busting out of a 34d already..) I have also been wearng a sports bra which I find incredibly comfy.. It's just down to preference really, I don't love underwire even when i'm not pregnant so i'm enjoying not wearing them! xx

I recommend nursing bras rather than maternity bras, more likely to be able to use them when breast. I got mine around 12 weeks but bought up a size to what I measured and by birth they were perfect. This time I'm reusing same ones from about 12 weeks again x

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Non wired is more about comfort when you are expecting, after milk comes in I suppose a wired or poor fitting bra may cause mastitis which can lead to a lower supply of milk in the effected breast. I found these bras by M&S very good as they are stretchy and a general size
http://www.marksandspencer.com/2-pack-maternity-non-wired-santoni-full-cup-bras/p/p22278630?image=SD_02_T33_0737_ZY_X_EC_90&color=WhiteandBlack&prevPage=plp&pdpredirect
4 days for milk to come in is a long time in newborn world so you may need to be prepared to supplement a little and pump in the first weeks if this happens again. No breast changes during pregnancy can also be an indicator for insufficient glandular tissue (IGT) so you may want to discuss this with a GP or raise if you encounter any issues with supply. If advise you sus out local breastfeeding support groups closer to your due date, in most cases if you want to make Bfing work, you can.

Last edited:
What is insufficient glandular tissue? How would that be corrected?

Just had a quick Google and says it's common in ladies with pcos which I have! Time will tell I guess, my oh has commented my boobs look bigger already lol wishful thinking on his part I think

Just had a quick Google and says it's common in ladies with pcos which I have! Time will tell I guess, my oh has commented my boobs look bigger already lol wishful thinking on his part I think

Oh yes, there's plenty of time for them to grow + your milk did come in last time. I'm just saying because I don't think it's related to bra choice when pregnant. X

4 days is not a long time. Before your milk comes in you produce colostrum, that's normal. It's also normal for milk to come in between days 3 & 5. Day 4 is right in the middle of that.
Plus, the less you breastfeed the longer it takes for the milk to come in, so as Tilly said she didn't BF, for her milk to come on day 4 even with no breast stimulation (the baby not feeding from the breast) it is a positive sign rather than a concern.

Supplementing before your milk comes in (or even in the early weeks) is not advisable and negatively effects your supply and can make it take even longer for the mature milk to come (again, because the less the baby feeds at the breast the longer it can take for the milk to change from colostrum to mature milk).

Definitely go along to a BFing support group before the birth and get some good advice and support in place.

Last edited:
4 days is not a long time. Before your milk comes in you produce colostrum, that's normal. It's also normal for milk to come in between days 3 & 5. Day 4 is right in the middle of that.
Plus, the less you breastfeed the longer it takes for the milk to come in, so as Tilly said she didn't BF, for her milk to come on day 4 even with no breast stimulation (the baby not feeding from the breast) it is a positive sign rather than a concern.

Supplementing before your milk comes in (or even in the early weeks) is not advisable and negatively effects your supply and can make it take even longer for the mature milk to come (again, because the less the baby feeds at the breast the longer it can take for the milk to change from colostrum to mature milk).

Definitely go along to a BFing support group before the birth and get some good advice and support in place.

My baby starved while we waited for my milk to come in and lost more than 10% of her birth weight. If you have a baby that's a boob monster, it may take enough colostrum but a lot of babies don't. A little pragmatism in breastfeeding support helps more mums go onto breastfeed for as long as they want without effecting a newborns health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back