when to allow visitors

If your in hospital they can only come at set visiting hours. Partners and siblings were 8am-10pm and anyone else was 2.30-4 then 6-8 so they won't be allowed to bug you all day

I'm hoping my hospital says I can only have one birthing partner then shel have to understand x

I wouldn't worry about getting your boobs out in front of the MW they will draw the curtains around and sometimes need to help you latch on and start the feed. It is just part of their job. I personally don't want a huge audience as I start to feed. I know soon enough women (and hopefully me) don't care popping their boobs out in public for a screaming baby that is hungry.

I must be in the minority. I wouldn't dream of stopping my parents or in laws coming to visit me and baby in hospital. The visiting hours are so strict, only birth partners are allowed on the delivery suite. And on the ward friends and family can only visit between 3 and 8pm. So there's plenty of alone time and partner/sibling time.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Giz, you might not feel great and not want people around. I just wanted my DH and thats it. Those first days/weeks are so precious, you dont want to ruin it potentially by serving tea and biscuits to visitors

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

I'm hoping my hospital says I can only have one birthing partner then shel have to understand x

Just tell her that's what they said anyway...?!

We're probably not going to tell anyone I'm in labour. In-laws won't be bothered anyway, as won't visit for ages, nice enough people but not very family orientated! My parents will be neento visit but will only come once we say so and will stay in hotel anyway as mum has MS. As for step daughters... Not sure when as they'll be keen, but that's within our control. Xx

My OH said earlier that he isnt telling anyone im in labour (i think he might change his mind at the time) but i hope he doesnt because his mum will be "nichola should do this, she shouldnt do that, etc". I will be telling my family as we are really close. In regards to visitors im not bothered when my family visit and how long they stay for but im not sure about his family, i think his mum might try and take over. I hope not. Its her first grandchild so im honestly not sure how she'll be. My uncle has a habit of turning up unannounced so will have to get my mum to have a word with him and tell him to give us a few days. Xx

We didn't tell anyone I was in labour with our first (this time will be different as we need someone to watch our LO) and didn't let anyone know he had arrived until he was 3 hours old. We had about 4hours after that before visiting time so a fair amount of time just the 3 of us. Both sets of our parents came but only stayed for half an hour, after checking with us first. We had to stay in over night so when we got home we had 2 days where we said no visitors x

Giz, you might not feel great and not want people around. I just wanted my DH and thats it. Those first days/weeks are so precious, you dont want to ruin it potentially by serving tea and biscuits to visitors

I've already had a baby. And fainted, needed a blood transfusion and still didn't tell my parents/in laws not to come. They didn't stay the max time, they wanted to see their first and only granddaughter. And to see me as well I hope!

When I had visitors at home I was unknowingly suffering from infection for three weeks due to retained products. I was really ill, but thought it was normal! But my guests were helpful. They allowed me to have a rest and my mum in particular was a star and would do a few chores for me.

I don't have any regrets having visitors and will be inviting friends to visit as soon as they like again this time.

Like I said....i'm in the minority :)

----------------

I had my mum (and oh) in the delivery room with me but that was my choice, my mil did try and insist on the whole family coming straight to the hospital when I went into labour as did my dad, I put them all straight on that asap! I basically told them no offence but when I go into labour it could still be days untill baby is here, and u can't have more 2people with u on the labour ward anyway, my mum was only allowed to leave for toilet breaks and if oh had tried to leave I prob would have strangled him lol, I told them imidiate family could come for a quick visit when still in hospital as we were there 3days but everyone else had to wait till we'd been home a week.

a couple of people tried to tell me they were coming to the hospital anyway so I told them they were welcome to try as they labour/ maternity wards are locked for the babies safety so they'd b waiting a while :)

We're telling very few people when I actually go into labour, though it looks like I may end up with an induction if baby isn't early. I remember when hubby's brother and his partner had their first baby. They sent a message to hubby's mum to say she was in labour and she travelled down immediately. She was on the maternity ward visiting within 30 minutes of the birth. She'd never even met her son's partner and I know they wished they hadn't said she was in labour as it was all too much.

As I live 2 hours away from most family, I don't think we'll have lots of visitors. We're planning to travel to Cumbria at the beginning of September to see everyone then. I know my dad has booked 2 weeks leave around the time I am due and I'm happy for them to visit. Hubby's dad and step mum have also booked a week- but they're actually going on holiday!! So they may not even be around.

My advice is to do what suits you best. As a woman who has just had a baby your needs and choices are paramount so forget about everyone else and do what you feel best.

We have a massive family, most of them close by. Dad took us in when I went into labour and bought us home a few days later.

I had no visitors when I was in labour, had baby at 1am and then had people popping into see us on the ward all day. I think I had my folks, one of my bro's, my sis, 2 of my BIL's and both my in-laws come to visit :shock: they literally poked their heads in though so I didn't mind.

When we got home we had a few people round that evening, my other bro, SIL and nephew the next day, my other nephews and my other SIL and her kids the day after then friends from when James was a week old.

As people live close by it was quick visits, nothing full on and I didn't feel too overwhelmed... reading it back it sounds horrendous though :roll:

xxxxxx

I think i like my space. My mum came to help this time cause i have
a toddler and while its been helpful, i am now better off by myself.
My MIL came to stay for a week when lo was 2 weeks as DH was away and tbh it mostly drove me insane because of the advice.
I guess it depends on your family too.
With my first, i.didnt want to see anyone as i.wasnt feeling great, this time round labour was quicker but first few days i wanted for our now family of 4 to get used to each other

Yes I'm prob overreacting iv thought about it and it really doesn't matter as long as its only immediate family and as long as they understand that if I need them to go they will have to go no matter how long they have been there. Il play it by how I feel I think thank you ladies xx

I suppose I didn't have to deal with anyone staying the night. Both sets of parents are fairly local, so they never out stayed their welcome.

----------------

I suppose I didn't have to deal with anyone staying the night. Both sets of parents are fairly local, so they never out stayed their welcome.

----------------

I think it makes a massive difference. If i am going to hear once more about potty training or how my baby is feeding too much, there will be a murder lol

We also have a huge family (on both sides)

It depends how my labour and birth go but my mam literally lives a street over and has said that if things get a little overwhelming, then she will host while I catch some sleep. Im stocking up on milk, biscuits and other bits and letting guests know that they can help themselves.

We will just play it by ear, but I wont be afraid to ask people to leave if baby or I need some time alone - especially as I'm planning on breastfeeding xx

----------------

I think it makes a massive difference. If i am going to hear once more about potty training or how my baby is feeding too much, there will be a murder lol

Actually no, I still get that!!! Mum's been hassling me about potty training since my daughter was 9 months old. Apparently I was a perfect baby and was trained by 12 months! Hmmm, whatever.

This subject is very sore for me and has caused a lot of arguments.

I really hope I'm not telling my daughter what to do when she has kids!

----------------

My parents.stopped aftet i told them if.they mention it once more, i.wont talk to them. It worked.
My mil.is obsessed with it too. Why on.earth does it matter?

I have a pretty big family and was expecting to be bombarded once baby arrived but to be honest it wasnt too bad at all.

I loved the visits as I couldnt wait for everyone to meet my baby!

But.....I ended up with a section and was really lucky as I was not sore at all after it and healed really well.

Also what mabey made a difference was we ended up being im hospital for a week as lo had jaundice so I guess the three of us got a good chance to chill a bit together in hosp as visiting hours are pretty limited.

Before I had her I could never have imagined breastfeeding in front of anyone!! But I was plonked on the sofa feeding away when visitors were in and it never phased me at all....muslins are great for covering up.

But yeah.....Its a totally different experience for everyone and dont be scared to tell people u need rest....xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back