When should you see a Doc about not concieving?

Loola

Reaction score
I have noticed that quite a few of you have been TTC for some time now. Out of interest have you been to see a Doctor about why you havent concieved? if so after how long of trying did you go and what was the outcome? What suggestions did they make to try and help?

Hi there, I have heard that unless it has been over a year they wont consider you/ I guess they want to ensure people are taking the right steps to actually get preg, bd at right time etc, otherwise they would be inundated with couples ttc!

Something like 75% of healthy couples with no pre-existing conditions conceive within three months of trying. This increases to around 85-90% by the end of 6 months, and 95% by the end of 12 months.

If you're under 35, most doctors won't see you until those 12 months are up, because of the high chance that you'd conceive naturally. If you're over 35, they will usually see you after 6 months of trying, because of the time pressure.

You should definitely go to the doctor earlier if you suspect that anything is wrong - e.g. multiple miscarriages, mid-cycle spotting or bleeding, or pain. You should also see the doctor earlier if your cycles are very long or very irregular, without a good reason. When I came off the BCP, my cycles were between 45 and 90 days initially, and my doctor said that they could take up to a year or so to become more regular - if they were still irregular/long after that, I should see him again for tests.

Hi there,

I'm 33 and have been trying to conceive for 9 months. I went to see my dr during month seven and she said although 7 months wasn't long it is right to get it checked out now because of my age and my partner's age (37). I've been referred to a fertility clinic but both my partner and i had examinations and tests done in month 7. I think the fact that we have been married for 14 yrs and although we've never tried for a baby no mistakes have happened either has speeded up the process for us.

weve been trying for about 17 months, people usual say to wait a year before seeing a doctor, but TBH i dont think out doctor is really interested in helping us. :lol:

I think the docs recommend you TTC for 12 months before seeing them.

Me and DH have been trying since July now and we've not had any luck so if we've still not had anything by Feb time we're going to make an appointment. I'll be 31 then and DH will be 36 so I don't want to wait around too much

I'm 31, DH is nearly 40. We've been together 10 years, came off the BCP 20 months ago, actively TTC since August - our GP said that he'd see us next September if we haven't conceived by then, but wouldn't recommend any tests or anything before then :(

Guess that just shows it depends on your GP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back