When moving to solids..

positivity :)

Reaction score
what happens? that probably sounds ridiculous but is it easy? do you do it gradually? how does it work? xx

It depends which route you chose and when you begin to wean. If you wait until 6 months you can do baby led weaning and they can have almost anything you have at this age. If you start earlier most people give very runny purees and gradually get lumpier. Their main nutrition still comes from milk, breast or formula until around 9-12 months so food is gradually increased from when you start. There's two main methods, traditional weening (purees, lumps, then solids) and baby led weaning (no puree or lumps straight to solid food)

We started Owen at about 4 1/2 months on baby rice/ porridge . Then it was pureed and yoghurts. Today I tried O on a 7 month + jar ( he will be 7 months in two weeks) and there were more bits in it and thicker Consistency. So im going to use up all my puree jars and move him onto the 7 month ones. Then after looking at the jars it seems 10+ months is the next stage where it gets even chunkier! X

thanks sarah, i will google both then. its really early for me but i'm booking a holiday for when he is six months and was wondering whether at that point i would be going through a difficult transition to solids xx

We started Owen at about 4 1/2 months on baby rice/ porridge . Then it was pureed and yoghurts. Today I tried O on a 7 month + jar ( he will be 7 months in two weeks) and there were more bits in it and thicker Consistency. So im going to use up all my puree jars and move him onto the 7 month ones. Then after looking at the jars it seems 10+ months is the next stage where it gets even chunkier! X

so it all starts earlier than i thought! thanks for your help xx

I've just started weaning Charlie, he started with about 2-3 spoonful of baby porridge and he now has more spoonfuls, I've started giving him puréed carrot, sweet potato, broccoli, banana and apple! Which he loves! I just gradually increase and keep trying new flavours!

Is it ok to make your own baby food instead of jars? Obviously closer to the time I was thinking of buying a blender and doing bits of veg and fruit? But I didn't realise they made jars for different ages. Although I'm yet to properly look into BLW too :) x

Loads of people make their own puréed baby food!! I'm just a bit lazy as working ATM too and not very good in the kitchen lol x

Lol fair enough I have nothing against jars, I was just thinking about saving money by doing little bits of what me and my OH eat. I was just thinking would it have to be made to a certain consistency depending on age, if they do jars for certain ages iykwim? xx

Most people wean at different ages due to their los.... I started early aswell at 4months ish (wish i hadnt tbh) alot of signs that people think is ready for weaning, isnt actually..iykwim.... Like not sleeping thru and taking more milk,,,et. Etc.....

I started on baby rice, porridge,mand then pureed steamed fruits like pear and plum..l. I just did one small 'meal' a day for the first few weeks, and then moved on to two.....

I did a mix of jars, and home cooking.....then mainly jars as i got a bit lazy.... The transition from smooth stage onem to textured stage two and then lumpy stage three was awkward a first but lo git used to it and i introduced finger foods from 6 or 7 months, like sandwiches...fruit sticks...etc etc"..."

The health visitor also comes and has a chat about it at around 16 weeks, she came to see Kynon last week. The current recommendation is 6 months but not before 17 weeks, so it just depends on when your baby is ready and how you want to approach it so maybe he will already be on purees before your holiday or if not leave it until you come home. Best thing to do is read up now so you have all the facts and methods and what will suit your baby and lifestyle. Lots of people do mistake their baby being ready for solids early as Amy-J said, Kynon is interested in us eating and a hungry baby but I don't believe he's ready for food yet, he is just nosey as he watches everything I do! I'm in the BLW camp though so want to hold off until 6 months and just feed him more milk for now even if I am moaning about him feeding all the time lol!

My Hv didn't discuss weaning with me do it may vary from area to area.
I started blw at 6 months. Jake doesnt eat much but will have a suck on most things I offer him. I do spoon feed him porridge and yogurts but for everything else he feeds himself.
Blw suits us as i thought it would be expensive to buy the jars and also I doubted I'd be able to find the time to purée everything for jake. This way I just have to make sure the salt and sugar contents are suitable and jake can eat pretty much everything we do.
I would recommend reading up on both methods and make your decision from then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back