When? How? What?

Linzie2012

Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question, But im 22 weeks now & think I need to learn a little more about this section now ;)

So when do you actually know when is best to get to the hospital?

How to you know?

I've read you dont go straight after your waters break.

Please help - I like to feel organised at least... !!!

Panic setting in - This is actually happening in 18 weeks !

Well my waters broke at 10cm last time and didnt this time so dont just go by that. I found I have spontaneous labour so I just go streight from nothing to full blown labour, but I would time contractions there are apps, or wheb its getting too painfull just call them they can advice you. I once thouht I was in labour and they knew I wasnt and told me to go back to bed... Dont know how they knew! X

Sent from my ST26i using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My waters broke at about 4 am, I didnt go to hoapital till about 12, and I was only about 2 cm when I got there! X

Thought my waters broke about 4am. Went to get checked at triage at hosp. Sent home with form admitting me next day if nothing happened naturally before. Period pains on off all day. By 9pm that day painful close together an started getting bleeding. asked to go hosp. Was 4cm and only infact hind waters had broken. Kept me in after that x

mummy to ds 11/7/11
pregnant *team pink* due 12/9/13

If your waters break and there are no contractions note the time and ring the hospital. Some like to see you and confirm they have gone with a speculum (especially if trickling) if you have had a gush and soaking pads they will ask you to keep an eye on the colour/amount. If you don't labour naturally after they break depending on your trust they will book you in for an induction usually 24 hours later. If you are starting to have contractions the longer you stay at home the better. Make sure you have the hosp contact numbers, use paracetamol, the bath (bump right under the water), birthing ball, breathing and a TENS machine. Time the contractions and once you get them every 5 mins apart lasting 60 secs or more give the hospital another ring. MW's usually like to hear you have a contraction on the phone and speak to you not your OH or mum and they can gauge how long it lasts and how painful you sound. If you are concerned about baby's movements or can't cope with the pain ring back. Baby should move normally. Hope this helps.

I went into hospital too early (was only 3cm) and got sent back home. The mw said when you are climbing the walls then it's time to come in! I thought I was but 3 hours later I knew what she meant.
Try and hang on as long as you can unless waters break and they ask you to come in of course! x

Thanks ladies! That makes it more clear.

I'll still panic but at least know a little more now

Are you going to antenatal classes? Mine were ace at telling you all about it. Don't panic hun. Xxx

I got pains on the Friday morning early hours (3am), they came every 3-5 mins all day and I thought that something must have happened and I must have dilated a fair bit so I phoned up and they asked me to come in in the afternoon, this was about 4pm. I was told I was 2-3cm dilated and fully effaced so they expected I would have the baby that night or early the next day. They told me to come back in when there was beads of sweat on my upper lip and the pains were felt stronger. I came back at 10.30pm and was admitted but I was only 3-4cm at that point (back to back labour).

It is hard to call it if you haven't felt the pain before. Next time I would wait until they were much stronger and go in then. If you are struggling to talk through them thats a sign you might need to go in.

If you waters break you should inform them and they will advise you on what to do.

Time contractions and ring if you are unsure they will assess you. I didn't have steady regular contractions they varied from 2mins to 5mins apart the whole way thru I rang when the tens machine and bath etc was not enough and I was crying with pain I was only 2cm b got sent home because my contractions then stopped by evening they were back and I was 3cm and able to go in. X

Maybe a stupid question, But im 22 weeks now & think I need to learn a little more about this section now ;)

So when do you actually know when is best to get to the hospital?
When you feel like you need to go to hospital, it's best to get there when you're in established labour if you don't have a homebirth booked.
How to you know?
You don't
I've read you dont go straight after your waters break.
that's not true, my waters didn't break until I was a good couple of hours in established labour. I've been in early labour a good 27h before my plug went and I started to realize this could be something serious

Please help - I like to feel organised at least... !!!
Don't want it too bad, I ended up having to stay overnight in hospital, forgot my phone charger and the day after when it was raining realized I had no footwear on me

Panic setting in - This is actually happening in 18 weeks !
please don't worry too much, I had a 'traumatic' birth and everything I wish not to happen almost did happen to me 3rd degree tear, cut, stitches, forceps delivery, diamorphine and spinal for stitches after but managed to get my boy out on just G&A and now I think giving birth was the best part of the whole getting a baby ride just go with the flow

stupid answering in quotes there you go

It will differ for everyone so I would suggest you take anything you read here with a pinch of salt.

The advice from my hospital was if my waters hadn't gone I needed to to be contracting every 3 minutes for at least a minute.

I never got that far, my waters kind of trickled but I'd been contracting every 6-10 minutes for 36 hours :shock:. I'd rung a few times during the 36 hours but they only got me to come in for an assessment after I mentioned waters.

I was 5cm when I went in and 8 days overdue so I stayed.

I would have been called in for an assessment regardless of waters going though as after 36h and no real progression they need to look you over. Had I been less than 3cm I could have been sent home but I was so exhausted and dehydrated I think they'd have kept me in.

It all depends on what happens on the day.

As a rule first babies take a while to come, but this isn't always the case.

When you go into labour you honestly do know though. Granted I was overdue so that was a good indication :lol:. The MW will want to speak to you when you call and they will judge how you sound and hopefully they'll get to hear you through a contraction. If you can't speak through it they may ask you to go in.

Usually if waters go but nothing happens within 24 hours they'll have you in to help you along to prevent risk of infection.

You still have plenty of time to go so don't stress about this just yet!

xxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back