when does baby engage?

Discussion in 'Third Trimester' started by Danielle77, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Danielle77

Danielle77 Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,
    When does baby typically engage? Also, if you engage early, does it mean you're close to giving birth? What happens if baby doesn't engage? One thing I've not really looked up is 'baby engaging'. Can somebody pls educate me! Thx x

2. x_larlybelle_x

x_larlybelle_x Well-Known Member

I'm due on Monday and Pip still isn't engaged. Some people engage early but it doesn't necessarily mean they will go into labour any earlier xx

3. BevG

BevG Well-Known Member

it can happen at anytime, and can be 10 mins before labour, while in labour or even weeks/months before labour.

4. winnie89

winnie89 Well-Known Member

ur midwife should go through all of this with you at ur next appointment hun x

5. lanny

lanny Well-Known Member

My sister was 4/5th engaged at 37 wks with her first a couple of months ago it got her hopes up and then she went 2 wks over.

With my last at 39wks the mw said the baby was what they call 'free' and not in my pelvis at all I had him 2 days early (my only one I've had early) I really don't think it makes a difference if baby is really they go down

6. knopk@

[email protected] Well-Known Member

I have been going from 3/5 to free since 33 weeks and gave birth a week early. Its really not an indication.
    My friend was the samr but she went 2 weeks over

sent from my Galaxy s2

7. l_maclean

l_maclean Well-Known Member

Generally they usually say your first one engages earlier. But obviously if doesn't all ways work like that. Dont think they 'typically' do it at any point, everyone's different. Xxx

8. rosey

rosey Well-Known Member

My baby has been head down since about 24 weeks?

9. jayx2

jayx2 Well-Known Member

Everyones different hun my LO engaged at 34 weeks x

10. Mrs. KM

Mrs. KM Well-Known Member

My baby didnt fully engage until after I was 10cm dilated so don't worry! I wsn't engaged at all when my water broke either so it really doesn't mean much. Hope that helps!

11. Mrs. KM

Mrs. KM Well-Known Member

I should have mentioned that my water broke before contractions began ... :)

12. Danielle77

Danielle77 Well-Known Member

Thanks ladies - so, really It means nothing! Ha ha. Great to hear everybody's different experiences x

13. lyndsey_28

lyndsey_28 Well-Known Member

yea it it kinda means nothing i was checked the day before i was due and was told i was 2/5 engaged i went into labour that very night :) x

14. lrb

lrb Well-Known Member

I'm engaged and have been for weeks now, couple weeks ago I was 4/5 Nd now I'm 3/5. Don't think it means babies coming any earlier although I'd quite like to have her come anytime after 37 lol x

15. Jess1979

Jess1979 Well-Known Member

Everyone is different. Last Wednesday my little fella was back to back with me then midwife came out a day later to see me and check my blood pressure and within the 24 hours he had turned and fully engaged. 7.30am on Friday I went into early labour and I still have no baby but I do have a really grumpy mood.

We really didnt think that he would turn and he would come out face up but midwife thought he would only engage when labour started.