When do you start giving babies stage 2 milk?

Discussion in 'Baby & Toddler' started by MamaJay, Feb 11, 2016.

1. MamaJay

MamaJay Well-Known Member

When do you give them stage two. If they're satisfied on stage one do you need to change? My Lo is 5 and a half months. She has two meals a day and the rest milk. Just wondering do i need to swap to stage 2 or is she fine on stage 1?

#1 MamaJay, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  2. Phoenix85

Phoenix85 Well-Known Member

She's fine on first stage.

2nd stage "hungry baby" milk is harder to digest so not recommended.
    Follow on milks have slightly more iron, but you're better sticking with 1st stage and giving iron rich food & a good diet.

3. Taboo917

Taboo917 Well-Known Member

My health visitor just said to stay on stage 1 - Caleb had that from 7 months to 1 year and then we switched to cows milk. x

4. Pumpkin9

Pumpkin9 Well-Known Member

Do you mean stage 2 as in toddler milk? If so then you can switch from 6 months, there is limited difference between the two I believe - I think the main difference is vitamin d, but it's been awhile since I last used formula so you'd need to double check that

5. Juice

Juice Well-Known Member

My lg stayed on stage 1 until we switched to cows milk at 12 months. Unless they're unsatisfied, there's no need to switch them. If she's hungry, I'd try more food than change her milk. Changing milk can be quite upsetting for their tummies.

6. Lulu90

Lulu90 Well-Known Member

My hv said we could stay on stage 1 if we wished to, but I swapped to stage 2 at 6 months and Luca's thriving on it xx

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

As long as they're having 500ml a day (about 3 6oz bottles) there's no need to switch. This amount gives them all the vitamins they need, including iron. Anything less than this amount can be topped up with vitamin drops.