when do things start to happen?

Lisa_85

Reaction score
I'm really curious as to when babies start doing things... Issac is 1month and i spend all his waking time giving cuddles, talking, singing, tickling, copying him and he seems like a miserable grumpy baby he only tolerates anything i try with him for minutes and then crys. I haven't had a smile from him yet either. I feel like I'm trying so hard to interact and bond with him and its just not working.

Any advice is appreciated
Xx

Its a bit too hard to have any interaction at that age, my LO is just starting to get really good at interacting & he's 8 weeks. At the 6 wk check they check for babies development, which at 6 wks is following an object with eyes & reacting to a loud noise, thats all they require to be "on target"

For about 3 weeks or so (when LO was 5wks) he started babbling too, which is really cute, we have wee convo's. I think around 3 m/o they start to find their hands & grab for objects. Cant remember what else happens around that age but at 6 m/o they start moving around alot more, trying to pull themselves up & rolling about & around 9 m/o some babies start crawling.

:)

I asked my health visitor this as I felt my son was unhappy, but he said until he starts taking any interest in anything just let him follow you around in his moses or bouncy chair as all he wants at that stage is food and cuddles x oh and sleep x lol

My LO was the same at that age, and it takes them a while to start doing anything. You have to remember that they are born with LOTS of brain development still to go, so it helped me to think of LO as a fetus but outside for the first few weeks lol! So lots of feeding and comforting and that was pretty much it.

She really started doing things at about 5/6 weeks when she first started to smile occasionally, then at about 6/7 weeks I got my first "agoo" and from then on we could have short conversations with her, and she does something new every week now.

So don't worry too much, you're doing all the right things by carrying him around/singing/cooing etc. and it will really pay off later. He just needs a little bit more time to develop enough to start reacting in a way you can notice :)

Last edited:
When did everyone's LO find their hands??

My LO is 9 weeks 2moz & im sure he's aiming at things but his hands are still all over the place in general so its hard to tell.

:)

Ahh just you wait hun, 6-8 weeks for smiles , mine were all 8 weeks, best thing ever, although your'll get the windy smiles before then.

Hands 3-4 mths I think, and then they will be really getting fun.

So should i expect some smiles in the next few weeks? I think i try to hard i end up frustrating him and seems to cry a lot.
Xx

JJmum - his windy smile is gorgeous, i can wait for his first proper smile xx

Ella is 6 weeks tomorrow, this last week she has been giving proper smiles when i blow raspberrys right up close to her and if i sit for long enough smiling at her she will smile back, she will also stick her tongue out at me if i am doing it to her. She has just started making random oooo eee ahhhh noises if shes left on her play mat.

She isnt doing anything regularly though, whenever i get somebody to watch her smile or stick her tongue out she refuses to do it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back