When do they check..?

LouiseH

Reaction score
..If your engaged?

When do they start checking if your engaged? Or do they not?
And who is it who is meant to do it? x

My midwife had a good old feel at 36 weeks and told me I was 1/5 engaged, then doc had another feel at 38 weeks and no change lol. Baby's obviously very cosy in there :) maybe it varies according to area I'm not sure x

Yeah midwife will usually check when checking babies position, I'd assume. At my last appointment, she said baby was head down but not engaged - that was at 36 weeks, at 34 weeks she couldnt tell if baby was breech so could be earlier x

Well I've just had my 36 week appointment with midwife and she didn't say anything at all lol. Not even if baby was head down (although I know she is as I've had 3 growth scans since 31 weeks and another next week) So I may ask at that scan. Baby feels very low down, and all movements are low too. And I've been getting shooting/sharp pains in my foof tooo x

Mine has checked at 28/31/34 wk appointments..

Got my 36wk app next thurs x

If you have your notes hun it should say in there what position baby is in and there's a seperate box that they write in to say how 'palpable' baby. This means how much head can be felt above the pubic bone. If baby isn't in pelvis it will say 'free' or something along those lines. Or it will say 4/5ths which means 4 fingers worthof head can be felt so baby is 1/5 engaged. 3/5th = 3 fingers felt, 2/5th engaged....etc etc.

But they should be feeling for baby position from 28 weeks on wards as first time babies can engage fairly early.

Hope this helps x x x

Would that be in the bit that says.. 'Pres - Lie - Eng' ??
Code at the top says Pres is Presentation and Eng is Engagenment. And then there is boxes underneath each of them.. If so.. Nothing has veen written in any of these boxes and since 28 weeks I've been there..
28+4, 31+5, 32+4, 33+5, 34+5, 35+5 and 36+5 (Today) So I've pretty much been and seen either a midwife at the docs, midwife at antinatal or a consultant every week since 28 weeks and not one of them have written in these boxes? Ummmmm x

Yep that sounds like the box.

Not sure why there not recording there findings. Have they been having a feel of your belly button each appointment? Could they have written it in the notes section. In my book there is a page for the boxes and the opposite page is blank for them to write on. Could they be writing it down on a similar page.

I would have thought they should be by now, mine has been filled in right from 26 weeks.

Next time you're there ask them what position/ how engaged your baby is. I had to ask my mw whether my baby was back 2 back but the rest of the info from the visits can be found in my book.

Xx

So confused cos i just look at my notes at the pres and eng part..

Pres is ceph wish i guess means head 1st (googled it lol)
But eng tey have put - free yet 3 times have told me hes engaged!?
Doesnt bother me really but they say one thing to me then right done something else!?

I've had a read through the notes and nothing seems to be written there either! I've got another growth scan next Thursday, so I'll ask then!

Midwife did say today that next week they should start discussing sweep options? Not sure if that means anything at all? Also not sure why I would be getting offered a sweep either? Hmmm x

Not at 37wks u shouldnt! Unless shell note down to book u in to come an have one say 39/40wks not sure!

Mad how diffrent MWs work in dofferent areas isnt it! Xx

Sometimes baby can bob in and out of position maybe he's heading there but not quiet made it yet Danni?

Are you having growth scans because baby is growing big? If so could be there thinking they'll try and start you off naturally a little earlier. Before considering medically induced procedure xx

Just had another look and she wrote in my 34wk bit for 'eng - at brim' lol!

Hes getting there then hopefully! Xx

No I'm having them cause she's measuing small. She's under the 10th centile?
I feel very confused! All they do is worry me, confuse me and fill me full of shite constantly! Dear bloody me!
By the time I see someone next week (it'll be a midwife from anti-natal and I find them so much better then my actual midwife - she tells me nothing, just checks my BP and sends me on my way lol. She didn't even do my BP today. And I should see a consultant then too.) And by then I'll be 37+5..

I've also got a high BMI, as I'm a larger lady. Could this be why they wana discuss a sweep?
Not even sure if they will discuss a sweep, its just what my midwife said? And as you can tell she's not very good lol x

No I'm having them cause she's measuing small. She's under the 10th centile?
I feel very confused! All they do is worry me, confuse me and fill me full of shite constantly! Dear bloody me!
By the time I see someone next week (it'll be a midwife from anti-natal and I find them so much better then my actual midwife - she tells me nothing, just checks my BP and sends me on my way lol. She didn't even do my BP today. And I should see a consultant then too.) And by then I'll be 37+5..

I've also got a high BMI, as I'm a larger lady. Could this be why they wana discuss a sweep?
Not even sure if they will discuss a sweep, its just what my midwife said? And as you can tell she's not very good lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back