When do feeds get shorter / less frequent?

Maru

Reaction score
My LO will be three weeks tomorrow. I am breast-feeding on demand. My breakthrough has been that today breast feeding is no longer excrutiatingly painful. But I am so exhausted and frustrated by how little time is left after feeding and all his other needs are taken into account. He is feeding for 40 mins to an hour at a time and sometimes goes for 3 hours between feeds (start of one to start of the next) but sometimes only an hour between feeds. Thankfully at night, he has started to go for four and a half hours between feeds so I can sleep a bit.

I have heard that they eventually get more efficient at feeding. How long before this happens? My sofa is going to have a Homer-Simpson-like impression of my butt in it at this rate! Sigh...

Any reassurance or advice greatly appreciated!

:hugs:

sorry I don't breastfeed/know the answer but didnt want to read and run

4ish hours at 3 weeks is great though! xx

Lol I remember those days well. Things started to get much easier for me around 7-8 weeks, his feeds got quicker, he slept longer at night etc ...

The early weeks are definitely draining but if you can survive them then you will feel a sense of achievement when things do settle down.

My only advice now is stock up on snacks and drinks and crack open the dvd collection. It won't last forever I promise ;-)

Last edited:
Definitely agree with Vicky! In fact they it takes up to 6 weeks for milk production to definitely get established.
When they hit 6 weeks they go through a growth spurt and you'll find they become even more fussier at the breast and this last for a week. Ride it through as after that it becomes so much easier!

Thank you so much both of you. Enormously helpful! X

6-8 weeks is how long you have to ride it out, stick with it and it will.get better x

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back