When do babies start to smile?

Colourmeblue

Reaction score
Hi all. Went for our 6 week check on thursday, and doc got me a little worried She asked if baby was smiling yet, and i told her that she smiles and giggles in her sleep, but doesnt smile knowingly yet. Doc said she should be doing this now or soon and asked to see us again in 2 weeks to see if baby is smiling by then.

i didnt think babies smile this soon...any ideas? - when did your lo's start knowingly smiling? x

I have a pic of Harry smiling at 2 weeks. I think it was just chance though an was probably properly doing it by maybe 4 weeks. However, every baby is different and does it in there own time! I'm annoyed at that dr for worrying you, health professionals should know that! Please don't worry too much, I'm sure she is just fine and will do it in her own time! Xxx

My LO started smiling at 4 weeks, but at 6 weeks I definately wouldn't worry about it xxx

Jack was around 7-8 weeks and Harry was 5 weeks. They're all so different x

At 6 weeks she would only smile a couple of times in the morning. It was probs around 8 weeks she started to smile properly.
Don't worry, 6 weeks is just the average but they are all so different!

Eilidh was about 8 weeks I think? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I think Luca was about 8 or 9 weeks too and even then he didn't do it very often! Seems like not many babies are smiling (apart from sleepy smiles) at 6 weeks! Xxx

tapatalking x

If i kiss Noahs mouth he makes the most gorgeous smiles!
I hope its not wind haha! hes 15days old! x

Babyslog mine used to do that too. People told me it was wind, I knew the truth, those people knew squat, a smile's a smile! ;)

You can really tell the difference between a wind-smile and a genuine smile.

A proper smile literally lights up their whole face and melts your heart.

I wouldn't worry hun, each baby is different, and this doctor seems extraordinarily quick off the mark to claim there may be something wrong. Xx

Your Dr is an idiot hun!

This sounds terrible but I can't remember when James first smiled :shock:

I think it was around the month mark, but we put it down to wind. By 8 weeks he was proper smiling but it took us a good few months to get a piccie of the little monkey doing it :lol:

xxxxxxx

JJ started smiling properly around 7 weeks I think?

Your Dr is a tool!! :wall2:

Don't worry hun...no two babies are the same - and although development guidelines are useful to read through, don't pay any attention to what your baby "should be doing by now".

I read somewhere earlier this week, that by 12 weeks, babies should be attempting to roll from tummy to back...JJ is nowhere near attempting this at all - but he does pull himself up into a sitting position, which is something he apparently "shouldn't" be doing yet!

xxx

Babies all develop at different rates. By the time you go back the doctors I'm sure you would have had lots of gorgeous smiles off your lo x

Cos iv been trying so damn hard lol, i actually got 2 smiles out of her this morning!!! wehey!!! x

Next time your doctor comes out with something like this, remind them your child is a human not a robot and they'll do things when they want to, not when the book says they should! My son has done lots of things 'early' like smiling and cooing (he was doing that when it was physically impossible apparently!), where as he's another who shows no interest in rolling over etc. My sisters both had to have special lessons in primarly school cos they were both behind in their reading and writing. Both went on to get first class degrees and one is even a doctor! It just shows it doesn't mean anything other than kids will do things when they're ready!

Thanks hun. These doctors shoudl be a little more sensitive i think. We are already anxious as new mummys, without them giving us something extra to worry about x

Ugh!! Bloody insensitive Drs! James was smiling at 4 weeks old, but my friend's little boy was 7 weeks. They are just as individual as us, so do things in their own time, I wouldn't worry!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back