when can you start using products?

Kay Kay

Reaction score
This has probably been asked umpteen times but just wondering when you can start using baby shampoo, bubble bath, wipes etc? I know some ppl use them straight away but I've just been using cotton wool/terry cloth wipes and water to change him and a wee bit of vaseline as a barrier and plain water and a wee sponge in his bath. A couple of times I've put baby oil in his bath when his skin was a bit flaky. I have so many bath products you wouldn't believe the things ppl have bought us! I literally won't need to buy anything like that til he's 5!

I've just wanted to avoid products in his early days, he's 4 weeks today and thought maybe at 8 weeks I could start using things? What do you all do?

I think it depends on the baby... Alex will be one this weekend and we still don't use anything in his bath because on the couple of occasions that we've tried his eczema has always flared up - he's perfectly clean even now just using water, so I don't think you need to start using products for a long while yet.

Whether you want to is another matter - if I could find a bubble bath that didn't irritate Alex's skin I'd use it (any suggestions welcome!) because babies covered in bubbles always look so cute :lol: I'm sure lots of people use things from birth perfectly fine, so if I were you I'd probably just start with very small amounts and keep an eye on your LOs skin to check that they're not reacting to the products :)

With nappy changing, I think I started using wipes on Alex pretty early on if I needed to change him while we were out and about as it was so much more practical, but I stuck with cotton wool and water at home for a while longer (mainly because we had a cotton wool mountain to use up!). If he gets a sore bum these days I try to go back to cotton wool and water at home until it clears up :)

I used wipes an bath products on Jack & Harry from day 1. Neither me or OH have skin problems and both boys are fine except Jack has quite a sensitive face to baby wipes so we stick to 1 or 2 brands that he can have and he's allergic to anything to vinigary like cheap ketchup etc but apart from that we're all good and thise things are easiky avoidable. If there was a risk of skin problems though i.e if OH or I had a problem i'd have been more hesitant x

I used wipes from day 1 and bubble bath etc from around 6 weeks so I'm sure you would be ok to start now. I haven't used baby shampoo as Harry still doesn't have much hair at a year old! X

I'm another one with loads of bath products! I've got enough sudocream to do me until LO is 21! My OH has been pinching the sudocream for his 'chub rub' (he works on the bins and walking around all day in this heat ain't pretty!) and used a tube of bepanthem on his tattoos but we still have loads!!!

We started using the shampoo and bath stuff quite early on. We generally don't use much and we don't bath LO every day either. We don't put lotion, oil etc on him unless his skin is a bit dry after a bath or I've been doing baby massage with him. My OH insists on putting talc on him after a bath, but I don't cos the stuff goes through me. It's like that feeling when you touch cotton wool! The only thing I use a lot of everyday is baby wipes.

Well jel of all the Sudocrem!

Next time it is on special I am going to buy the whole shops worth :lol:

James has mild eczema so we stopped using products for ages - I had loads but have given them all to my sister who is preggers.

We use Infacare now but have slowly re-introduced some baby shampoo and bubble bath.

I think we started using them to begin with at about 6 weeks??

xxxxxx

We use reusable wipes so started using them from day one. When out and about we use disposables and probably started using them early on too but we predominantly used water wipes which are fairly chemical free.

I personally wouldn't use Johnsons on C, I use Miamoo as it doesn't have parabens in it. Xx

I waited a week to use bath products but now i put a dribble of johnsons bedtime bubble bath in n it helps him sleep :) n talc aswell

My HV was so against baby oil n told me to use olive oil for his flaky dry feet. Its cleared up now anyway.

Ive not used shampoo yet tho n not the bubble bath on his hair either xx

I used wipes from day 1 and bubble bath etc from around 6 weeks so I'm sure you would be ok to start now. I haven't used baby shampoo as Harry still doesn't have much hair at a year old! X

My best friends Daughter was practically bald until she was 3 and she never used shampoo or brushed the 'fluff' she did have so i always had it in my head that if I had a baby and they were bald i'd always wash and brush their fluff. Jack was blessed with a mass if spikes and now gets his mop cut every 6 weeks but my Harry was a baldy so everytime he has a bath (every other day) he has his fluff washed and i brush it. People laugh and say whats the point but he now has a lovely layer of blonde hair that is growing fast!!

It's probably councidence but i've convinced myself the washing and brushing has stimulated his hair to grow! lol x

We started using the johnsons all in one straight away as Olly has hods of thick hair so we needed to wash it and I have just started putting a tiny bit of bedtime bath in from last week. He is 6 weeks on Thursday.I used olive oil for his skin the first 3 weeks then I changed to the johnsons baby lotion. But every baba is different

Xx

My best friends Daughter was practically bald until she was 3 and she never used shampoo or brushed the 'fluff' she did have so i always had it in my head that if I had a baby and they were bald i'd always wash and brush their fluff. Jack was blessed with a mass if spikes and now gets his mop cut every 6 weeks but my Harry was a baldy so everytime he has a bath (every other day) he has his fluff washed and i brush it. People laugh and say whats the point but he now has a lovely layer of blonde hair that is growing fast!!

It's probably councidence but i've convinced myself the washing and brushing has stimulated his hair to grow! lol x

Oh really? Hmm I might give that a go tomorrow! He does have very fluffy hair and I've never washed it with shampoo! I suppose it's better to get them used to a good hair wash early on too! Xx

I've used johnsons/Tesco wipes, johnsons bedtime bubble bath, johnsons bedtime wash, and johnsons bedtime talc, and lotion, on Cay since about day 3, but neither OH or I have any skin issues so I wasn't too worried.

I've actually lessened it now. He has a splash of bubbles in his bath once or twice a week, I wash his hair with Dentinox cradle cap shampoo, and use the lotion still for massages.
Still use wipes, of course.

I bought into the whole "bedtime stuff helps baby sleep better".
It's crap.

We do a routine every night, tea, bath, massage, bed, but using bedtime products makes jack-all difference, and the two or three times he's missed bath for whatever reason, he still sleeps just as well.
The only reason I still bath and massage every night is because he loves splashing about, and I love the bonding time xx

Oh really? Hmm I might give that a go tomorrow! He does have very fluffy hair and I've never washed it with shampoo! I suppose it's better to get them used to a good hair wash early on too! Xx

It's probably a load of rubbish but his hair is really starting to grow now! lol x

We used wipes I think from day 1.. Started to Put a little baby bubble bath in for a bath and just use that water for her hair from about 4weeks?! Dates aren't exact but won't be far off. We don't bath Hannah every day either. Xx

I started using wipes this week (week 3) and today I have just giving him his first "johnsons bath" I have been using just water up til now.

He hasn't reacted to it atall so I think we are safe! And he smells lushhhh :)

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks ladies. I think I'll hold off on the wipes a bit longer cos he seems fine with water but I'd like to use a bit of bubble bath so will use some tonight and see how he gets on x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back