When 'Breathe Through the Pain' Stops Working

Baguette

Reaction score
With my first baby, I was able to breathe deeply and 'blow away the pain' for the contractions up until about 6cm. It worked really well. But then the pain got so intense it literally took my breath away. I couldn't get enough air in, in order to blow it out again. At that point I got an epidural (phew!!) but this time I'd like to have some other techniques ready to try at that point instead.

Anyone got some great tools that worked for them?

Hire a tens machine? I found it great in both labours. Works for some not others. Has no effect on baby.

There are plenty of things between breathing techniques and epidural. You dont need to jump in at the deep end.

Gas and air
Cocodamol
Pethadine

X

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

I wanted to use hypnobirthing but it only got me to about 6cm. I then went on to gas and air... for the next 12-13 hours! I used the hypnobirthing techniques to help me breathe through with the g&a and I didn't need or ask for anything stronger xx

Ooh great to hear hypnobirthing helped a bit as I'm going to be doing this :) x

Ooh great to hear hypnobirthing helped a bit as I'm going to be doing this :) x

Make sure your OH or birthing partner is onboard with the hypnobirthing as I couldn't have got so far on my own. Especially when he was counting down the dial from 10-1 x

I hadn't considered hypnobirthing. I'll look into it - thanks. What about breathing techniques. Anyone got anything that really worked for them in the later stages?

I agree with getting oh onboard too. He was my rock counting down the contractions.

I think he was sceptical initially - we start the course in sept but he's promised to help take care of me. Hes just not great with medical things :) x

I hadn't considered hypnobirthing. I'll look into it - thanks. What about breathing techniques. Anyone got anything that really worked for them in the later stages?

Did you use gas and air first time?

First time I managed at home just on tens and was 8cm when I got to hospital. I didn't practice hypnobirthing by the book, but I did read it and felt it helped me believe in myself.

At hospital I used the pool, and it was absolutely amazing. I barely needed the gas and air. So would highly recommend water if you get the chance...

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

Did you use gas and air first time?

First time I managed at home just on tens and was 8cm when I got to hospital. I didn't practice hypnobirthing by the book, but I did read it and felt it helped me believe in myself.

At hospital I used the pool, and it was absolutely amazing. I barely needed the gas and air. So would highly recommend water if you get the chance...

----------------

I tried the gas and air but it didn't feel like it was doing anything other than make me feel spaced out, which I didn't like. I'll investigate the pool - thanks. Last time I wasn't allowed because I have a history of seizures but since everything went so well last time they might reconsider for this one.

I used my ante natal yoga breathing and got to 7cm at home.. Then it got too much and I had an epi!

xxx

My way is too suck it up and man up and you will make it thru without using anything. Think of all the women in the world who do it without anything :)

Good luck xx

I danced my way through in the end. Arms wrapped over oh and we swayed away.

Tapatalking :-D Can't see tickers...

My way is too suck it up and man up and you will make it thru without using anything. Think of all the women in the world who do it without anything :)

Good luck xx

Yes but they don't do it that way by choice? Why be a matyr? If you need more pain relief and everyone is different then don't be afraid to ask for it yes try doing it natrually and by all means use breathing water etc etc but everyone has differnet experiances. Factors that make things different pain threshold size of baby, position of baby and if induced or natrual, all these plus more can have factor in how your birth feels to you. You may be experiancing more trauma than someone else. Remember though stress does inhibit labour so try and be as relaxed as possible whatever method you use there is no right or wrong xx

Good luck xx

Yes but they don't do it that way by choice? Why be a matyr? If you need more pain relief and everyone is different then don't be afraid to ask for it yes try doing it natrually and by all means use breathing water etc etc but everyone has differnet experiances. Factors that make things different pain threshold size of baby, position of baby and if induced or natrual, all these plus more can have factor in how your birth feels to you. You may be experiancing more trauma than someone else. Remember though stress does inhibit labour so try and be as relaxed as possible whatever method you use there is no right or wrong xx

To me taking anything not natural is not good. There could always be side effects and I just don't want to take anything. I've had a horrible long and painfull labour the first time and I am still happy I didn't take anything.

I am not saying it is for everyone but to me medicine does more damage than good. I don't feel like a martyr at all, just a happy mummy who gave birth completely natural with both kids. I am not saying I am better than anyone who didn't but I do think many people get seduced to take painkillers (just because they are on hand so to speak).

That is why I said if someone thinks they should take it that is fine as long as you are not forced to take anything against your will.

There are plenty of people who would agree that pain will help you.

Good luck xx

To me taking anything not natural is not good. There could always be side effects and I just don't want to take anything. I've had a horrible long and painfull labour the first time and I am still happy I didn't take anything.

I am not saying it is for everyone but to me medicine does more damage than good. I don't feel like a martyr at all, just a happy mummy who gave birth completely natural with both kids. I am not saying I am better than anyone who didn't but I do think many people get seduced to take painkillers (just because they are on hand so to speak).

That is why I said if someone thinks they should take it that is fine as long as you are not forced to take anything against your will.

Iv had 2 babies. Both I only had a bit of gas and air. The first was so awful it left me traumatised for months. The second was much easier (although very painful) but I could handle it. That has shown me that some labours are easier than others, maybe u didn't experience such a bad labour that you were 'able' to not have pain relief..you will never know but I think to suggest women to go without pain relief when every labour is different is silly.

I wish I had an epidural with my first baby, I would have coped a thousand times better afterwards if I had!

Also the recent labour, I just kept breathing and thinking about it and each breath in I'd say in my head 'stay' and then on the breath out 'calm' it worked! Good luck x

Good luck xx

Iv had 2 babies. Both I only had a bit of gas and air. The first was so awful it left me traumatised for months. The second was much easier (although very painful) but I could handle it. That has shown me that some labours are easier than others, maybe u didn't experience such a bad labour that you were 'able' to not have pain relief..you will never know but I think to suggest women to go without pain relief when every labour is different is silly.

I wish I had an epidural with my first baby, I would have coped a thousand times better afterwards if I had!

I don't say everyone should make that decision I only say it is my decision. Saying that my labour wasn't hard enough for that is not really noce I believe. I had an episiotomy too and was inlabout with contractions every 2 minutes lasting over a minute for 16 hours, the babies head was presenting with the widest part in te smallest part of my pelvis, they litterally punched my cervic which was swollen away so babies head could come thru. It was a horrible experience and I have had counselingfor it (because of all the other things they did to me in the hospital). Still I am glad I didn't have any pain killers.

My experience was so bad and traumatizing that I have had an unasissted childbirth at home with my second because I don't trust anyone after this. This time I will do a homebirth but will call my midwife.

Where I live it is actually pretty common for women to birth without any medication (so is homebirth) but the tendency towards the hospital is growing (also because you can get all sorrs of medications there).

Like I said before I am not saying everyone shpuld do this. It is just my way and I feel best with that. As long as it is a womens decision and not some doctors it is fine. But the thread asked what to do when the pain gets too much and just gave my opinion.

With my second I kept breathing and didn't push at all, with my first I screamed a lot which wasn't great but I got thru it in the end.

I understand what you are saying but the contractions with my first was so much worst than with my second and so I just think pain relief isn't an option for some if its literally to the point of not coping rather than a 'choice' iykwim? I'm not saying u didn't have a hard labour but no woman will ever know if the pain from the contractions is easier/worse than for another woman that's all. So for some women they might feel bad about having an epi but it could be their labour was literally unbearable and they had no choice other than to ask for pain relief. I didn't mean to sound nasty or offend you. just my opinion as I had 2 labours with completely different levels of pain from the contractions.

Hmmmm, I'm worried my first labour was too easy :-S I've had more painful periods than the worst contraction. But I do believe I have horrendously painful periods. Also having a flexible sigmoidoscopy was way more painful than labour and birth.

I'm dreading the thought of having to labour on dry land though!! Water really did make a difference.

----------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back