When baby comes home..

Kelly450

Reaction score
Do you all know what to do?

This probably sounds really stupid, but i'm sitting thinking and worrying ill forget something.

So, i thought i will have to make sure the Moses basket is all set up and ready to go. Bottles ready for when he is home.

But i cant think what else i need to get ready for when we bring him back? I know ive got a few weeks but im getting super excited atm :D x

In some weird way it just all falls into place. I'd only held a baby once in my entire life before having my own and I was clueless. I found it better being at home cos while in hospital I felt like I was being watched by pros and I was scared of doing something silly.

----------------
baby giz born 6th Feb 2011
next one due 12th Aug 2013

So when we get home do you think we just work it all out then? It is quite scary knowing he will come home but i don't want to have to rush around getting things ready.

I understand what you mean. I think i would feel like that in the hospital too xx

So when we get home do you think we just work it all out then? It is quite scary knowing he will come home but i don't want to have to rush around getting things ready.

I understand what you mean. I think i would feel like that in the hospital too xx

You have a car? If so get the car seat in ready a couple of weeks before baby is due. It's done then.

Moses basket in reality takes minutes to set up. As long as you have all the sheets etc.

Get a basket or box and put all the nappy changing related bits in it. Cotton wool, wipes, nappies, sacks, sudocrem.

I have no idea about bottles as I breastfed. But I guess you'll need to learn how to prep those.

Have a good old practice on how to open and close the pushchair so you're a pro in public!

Honestly apart from bed, clothes, nappy changes and food, oh and cuddles, there's not much else you need to worry about. :)

For us the first time, the biggest challenge was sleep deprivation. But once we found our own way of dealing with the screaming baby we were fine.

My husband was just saying to me tonight that shall we do the same routine as last time...i said it might not work with the next one! Our daughter would scream from 9pm to 3am unless held so we ended up with a routine where she slept downstairs for the first 4 weeks and hubby and I did shifts with her while the other slept upstairs to get some decent sleep! It worked for us. But the next baby might not be like that I guess. he/she might be worse!! Or better (I hope!)

----------------

I will try to breastfeed, but yh i guess i will have to know what im doing with formula in case BF doesn't work for me.

Good advice about pushchair. Im rubbish with that! Tried it a few times and OH always ends up doing it as i cant haha

Thank you for your advice. I hadnt even thought about practicing with that pushchair.
We have two car seats and mum will be doing the hospital run for us so could always get that in her car.

I guess the plus of staying up with your first was the few hours sleep you both got. Fingers crossed for a better baby at night time this time around.

Id love to know what kind of routine i need to be in when baby arrives so that i can try it, but i guess its something we will just come to terms with xx

It does! Can not wait. I am probably over thinking it lol xx

You'll prob just put him down in the middle of the sitting room in his car seat and stare wondering what the heck you have to do with him haha I keep imagining that!

Omg thats exactly what i think will happen! Haha. I reckon it will be a case of me and OH sitting down and saying ' Hmmm what shall we do with him now' lol xx

Omg thats exactly what i think will happen! Haha. I reckon it will be a case of me and OH sitting down and saying ' Hmmm what shall we do with him now' lol xx

Obviously lots of cuddles. My friend says babys cry only for a few reasons and generally after a week you can tell apart your own babys cries she says usually it's the following
Needing comfort=pick up and cuddle
Hungry=feed
Nappy dirty/wet=change
Tiered=sleep put them down for a nap.
Ill including but not limited to colic =wind or try baby meds if not ring Dr/health visitor.

She tells me just go through each thing until it works and by trial and error you will soon find what it needs. X

I hope that it all just falls into place, I've got most things ready it would just be a case of putting clean sheets on the moses basket etc. I'm planning to breastfeed but I've got some bottles etc just in case. My mum has bought about a million nappies so I have them ready lol. Are you supposed to use nappy cream straight away or do you have to wait? I thought you couldn't use baby wipes but in my free pack thingy there were some extra sensitive ones that say you can use on newborns ??? xx

I hope that it all just falls into place, I've got most things ready it would just be a case of putting clean sheets on the moses basket etc. I'm planning to breastfeed but I've got some bottles etc just in case. My mum has bought about a million nappies so I have them ready lol. Are you supposed to use nappy cream straight away or do you have to wait? I thought you couldn't use baby wipes but in my free pack thingy there were some extra sensitive ones that say you can use on newborns ??? xx

I have sensitive ones which say u can use from newborn but then people say to only use cotton wool at first. So im not really sure :-s.
Hadn't even thought about nappy cream. I have some but never thought about when to use it. Oh god, more things to think about now. Hope somebody answers this question so I can see the answer lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Kelly, I didn't know a thing about formula feeding. I went down the breastfeeding route where I literally owned nothing except a pump and the bottle that came with the pump. We live in a world now where at the end of the day you can get hold of formula and bottles anytime of the day...

I'm pretty sure sudocrem can be used from birth. We didn't really use it until she got her first nappy rash which was a few weeks in if I recall.

A lot of hospitals will say cotton wool only for wiping bums.

----------------

For getting things ready, I have set up the moses basket, set up the bouncy chair and washed all clothes, sheets etc. I now need to get nappies!! Only have a few from sample packs and now I'm 36+2, I'm realising it could happen at any time.

I know they encourage cotton wool and water, but one lady told me that on occasion that just doesn't do the job!! So she uses a sensitive wipe followed by a cotton wool and water. My NCT teacher said Sudocrem is for use when nappy rash happens and not used before to prevent it, so it's not vital to have that in until it's needed. They sell it at the supermarket though, so maybe pick up a pot with your next shop.

Kelly, I didn't know a thing about formula feeding. I went down the breastfeeding route where I literally owned nothing except a pump and the bottle that came with the pump. We live in a world now where at the end of the day you can get hold of formula and bottles anytime of the day...

I'm pretty sure sudocrem can be used from birth. We didn't really use it until she got her first nappy rash which was a few weeks in if I recall.

----------------

It is worth trying to breastfeed. I should probably look into how to make up formula although im sure it will say on the powder.

What do u use when u change a nappy? This sounds really dumb. But ive never ever changed a nappy lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

----------------

It is worth trying to breastfeed. I should probably look into how to make up formula although im sure it will say on the powder.

What do u use when u change a nappy? This sounds really dumb. But ive never ever changed a nappy lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Of course it is, it's free (pretty much), it's great for lazy people (like me), and of course the health benefits to both mum and baby.

But it can be tough, and I found it really painful, but I was pretty determined, so I chose not to have the back up of formula in the house as I feared I would have caved in too easily. That was just my decision.

But the three weeks of agony was worth it...and I definitely going to try just as hard again to breastfeed this time.

As for nappy changes...i'd never changed a nappy before either! I was so clueless I asked the midwife to do the first one and show me what to do lol. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help in hospital. All you need is the nappy, a nappy sack to put the old nappy in, and water and cotton wool (or wipes or washable cloths) to wipe.

If you have a girl make sure you wipe front to back. Boys I have no idea!

----------------

It's strange as I've not done any of it before either (well I have changed nappies years ago) but I don't feel that worried. I guess it's the advantage of having step daughters as my husband has done it twice before so he'll know what to do. Hopefully I won't start freaking out about labour or looking after baby...as I'm way too calm about it all!
You'll be fine Kelly. Definitely try and bf though and find out as much about it as you can. Xxx

Yh once mw shows me how to do it I will be fine :)
Its just the getting home bit that I didnt really know what I needed ready lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

It's strange as I've not done any of it before either (well I have changed nappies years ago) but I don't feel that worried. I guess it's the advantage of having step daughters as my husband has done it twice before so he'll know what to do. Hopefully I won't start freaking out about labour or looking after baby...as I'm way too calm about it all!
You'll be fine Kelly. Definitely try and bf though and find out as much about it as you can. Xxx

Yh im not worried about it either. :) im excited. And I know there is so much help if we need it. :) we will be great im sure xx

Sent from my GT-I9300

Haha I think the same!! I said to my OH what are we going to do with her when we bring her home for the first time?! I also said we'll just probably put her down in the carseat in the middle of the living room, sit on the sofa and just stare at her wondering what to do next lol! It's going to be the strangest feeling ever I don't have a clue when it comes to babies :( xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back