What's the youngest age you'd take LO abroad on holiday?

positivity :)

Reaction score
As title? OH and I want to go away this year, probably an all inclusive to somewhere like Cyprus. OH wants to go in June when William will be six months. I was thinking more like September when he's 9 months but honestly I dont have a clue as to when it will be ok??? Xx

Personally as long as the weather is mild enough and your prepared and they've had the first lot of injections I would have thought 6 months would have been fine. Cyprus would probably be a no for me tho after May and before October as it is still very hot and has a LOT of heatwaves xxx

we went to turkey when LO was just under 9 months, in sept, was lovely, very warm tho bt took a uv tent and baba was quite happy playing in there and in the water. He loved it. xxx

We are thinking of going to Greece in June when lo will be 7 months. Decided will be easier before she starts crawling!

We were thinking of going away when Tyler's about 6 months but my OH hates flying so we were going to rent a holiday cottage in Cornwall!

We are going to Aus for Christmas this year. E will be nearly 14 months old and yet I am still worried about taking her on a 25hr trip half way round the world. It will be hot over there too but my father really wants to see her and we want to spend a Christmas with him as haven't done so since 06.

Last edited:
We went to Cuba in May/June 2008 and my friend came with us and brought the baby. She was 4 months old at the time. I think a fair few people were shocked that she would take the baby so young.

The baby was absolutely fine. No problem at all. The kept her out of the sun and cool and had an insect net over the pushchair (mosquitos were a BIG problem...). It was easier on the flight too because she slept most of the way.

Because it was an all inclusive it was a very relaxing holiday really, we just bimbled about the grounds and chilled out in the pool and on the beach. If I was going to go away I would make sure it was somewhere like that and didn't get up to much. No point in making life hard for yourself.

Enjoy!

We took my oldest when she was 6 and half months to Italy (we also went to france when sge was 10 months) And are going again this year when my lo will be just under 6 months. We had a travel cot that was also a uv tent so took that which was great. Was really easy holiday. My top tips are to take more food or formula in the plane than you will think you will need. Luckily I did as we were stuck on the plane for 9 hours to Italy! Also take some good nappy rash cream with you- I use metanium. As with heat and change in water etc my eldest has always got a bad rash. Also if your lo is not so good at sleeping in your arms anymore get them used to it before you go. Unless you go long haul or pay for extra seat then more than likely they will have to sleep in your arms on the plane x

We went to Slovakia when Lou was 5 months for my brother's wedding - it was about as hot as when we have a heatwave over here, but she was fine! Make sure you have a good parasol for the pram - ours broke while over there and we had to keep pegging blankets to the hood to keep the sun off her. It's also good to plan a different sort of holiday if you're used to beach holidays/lying in the sun etc. Go for somewhere where there's places for walking/places to sit in the shade etc.

Also we found that the overnight flights were great as even though she got woken up each time we had to move her from car to pram to arms etc, she went back to sleep again without too much fuss.

Tbh the main reason I would say 9 months is better than 6 is the feeding - I would much prefer to travel with a baby who has meals rather than needing bottles/boob! I was expressing and feeding bm when we went away and it was so much hassle. Also we wanted to buy some formula over there just in case but it was 3 times the price!! Luckily we could sterilize stuff as we had a microwave in our room. But it would be so much easier if you could just give LO meals and worry about milk just in the evenings iykwim :)

My cousin took her lo to goa when he was under a month but it was for her dads funeral but she said everything was fine so don't think 6 months will be a problem xxx

I moved abroad (From uk to the middle east) when alanna was 6 weeks old! To be honest it was easier travelling with her then, than it was when i went to texas when she was 9 months! The younger the better, get em used to it! :)

I think its awful taking babies on aeroplanes! I have been on planes with them and they just dont understand whats happening with the pressure, so that when a normal person would pop their ears a baby just gets distressed. We are planning to go to France this summer but will take the car on the ferry to avoid flying with a baby

I'm sure this wont be a popular opinion but its what i think personally

Alanna has had no problems on planes. she has been on 9 flights in her first year, And on take off and landing, she just has a snack or a drink (breast fed when she was tiny) and she doesnt cry atall, she loves flying! All the new people and places to explore

I took Jaycee at 7 months and Ellie at 3 months to Lanzarote to see my dad.. As long as you keep them well covered and hydrated and theyve had their jabs it's fine.. I've been with them both at least twice a year since they were born and I've never had a problem. I have bad ears so it really hurts when they pop.. I get the girls to have a drink/suck dummy or a lollipop(when they were alot older lol) as the sucking and swallowing avoids the ear pops..

I think its awful taking babies on aeroplanes! I have been on planes with them and they just dont understand whats happening with the pressure, so that when a normal person would pop their ears a baby just gets distressed.

Not true, Lizzie didn't even notice and my ears were hurting! She had a dummy to suck on and made no sign at all of 'distress'. Each to their own but I find that a little insulting tbh.

Each time I've taken my babies they never showed any kind of discomfort at all which is why I have continued to take them repeatedly.. If it hurt them I really wouldnt. Noone would! If it was any kind of health risk to them babies wouldn't be allowed to fly. I've known someone to take a 4 DAY OLD baby on a plane.. I think that's too young for a 'holiday' but she had genuine reasons for it

I see another heated debate on this subject lol! Each to their own really.. If your not comfortable with it then that's your call.. It's not 'awful' to choose to do it.. There may have been a better way to say it lol :)

I was a nanny for a brief spell and a family took me along on holiday with them to baby sit for their 18 month old baby and older daughter while they went on holiday.

It was really quite warm and it was a nightmare.

The little tot just wanted to drink all the time and wouldn't sleep and got the shits and sand + sunlotion = disaster.

I'm wondering if a younger baby would be easier but i wouldn't take a 1-3 year old i don't think, so do it now if you really want to and aim for somewhere cooler :)

And don't forget to preorder a fan for the room!

i'd say 6 months is the perfect time, we were going to go away when LO is 6 months, need to see if we can afford it in a few months. 6 months is normally when you'll stop sterilising & having to make bottles, they take normal milk from 6 m/o (unless regulations changed since my eldest was wee :roll:) & generally babies start getting easier to manage at around 6 months.

I suppose you could do it any age really, just as long as LO has had all jags.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back