what's the earliest time I can start?

FlutterBy89

Reaction score
Just wondering what the earliest time is that I can start weaning my baby. She just hit 10 weeks and I can't wait to start her on food.

Some people are telling me 3 months and some 4\5\6 but imkist want to know at what age can I start safely?

Thanks

The recommended age is 6 months.

From the NHS:

Three signs your baby is ready for their first food

Every baby is an individual, but there are three clear signs which, together, show your baby is ready for solid foods alongside breastmilk or infant formula. It is very rare for these signs to appear together before your baby is six months old.
1.They can stay in a sitting position and hold their head steady.
2.They can co-ordinate their eyes, hands and mouth so that they can look at the food, pick it up and put it in their mouth, all by themselves.
3.They can swallow food. Babies who are not ready will push their food back out, so they get more round their face than they do in their mouths.

Last edited:
The minimum age recommended is 16 weeks, though as baby2 sky points out the NHS guidelines are to wit until they are 6 months old.

Why are you wanting to start her on food.. Trust me it's a pain in the bum and milk is a lot easier!!

Ps... Size of baby makes no difference to when baby needs weaning.... I had a big baby and did not start weaning until he was around 5.5 months

If you do start before 6 months it should really be tastes only, just a spoonful or two of puree at a time.

I have been looking into this myself. A health visitor told me if I can't wait until 6 months then use baby rice and baby porridge only from 17 weeks. I have read that a baby's digestive system is porous to allow them to absorb everything they need from milk for their immune system. Then the holes close up by 6 months. Give them solids before the holes close up and they will absorb allergens and become susceptible to allergies later in life. Also some baby rice contains arsenic which can cause cancer and something I can't remember the name of that can cause kidney damage, due to the rice being washed with contaminated water in poorer countries.

My two brothers and I were all breast fed and weaned at 3 months and we all have hay fever, both brothers have eczema and one brother is allergic to many things.

I also read that baby rice is best used as a way to introduce solids and babies should be quickly moved onto pureed veg. And that they go through a huge developmental leap at four months so will need more milk for the extra nutrients so if you fill their stomach with baby rice which is slow releasing energy, they won't get the extra fuel they need at that stage. So baby rice isn't a suitable or long term solution.

All the evidence points to waiting until 6 months.

The HVs were telling me to really hold out until 6 months unless it was impossible.

That said, my weaning books tell me that some people start earlier - but absolutely don't do it before 4 months as baby's system can't handle it.

There are some theories out there that pre-6 months can lead to allergies too, but don't know how much store to place in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back