What's going in your hospital bag?

Warley

Reaction score
Hiya!

I know this has probably been asked before but what is everyone taking!!? Just looked at the ready packed one on Mothercare website and it's FIFTY QUID! There are some on e-bay as weel but I reckon I could do it cheaper by myself! I just need a list of essentials. Also what's the difference between a bodysuit and a sleepsuit..are they both not just babygrows?

Cheers X

Yer baby gros are baby gros.. don't go fretting over the name... :)

I've got in mine..

One small pack of newborn nappies..
cotton wool
travel pack of baby wipes
3 baby gros/sleepsuits
3 vests
3 cardis
3 pairs of socks
2 hats
scratch mits
Going home out fit (rather pretty :) )
Receiving blanket my mum made
swaddling blanket

then for me I have

one dark nighty
one pair of pjs
pair of slippers
4 pairs of black knickers
2 packs of disposible knickers (just in case)
loads of maternity towels and nightime thin ones
Maternity bra
breast pads
makeup/toothbrush etc
going home clothes.
One soft Red towel.

Tbh you don't need as much as they say you will need.. :roll:

I've just sorted mine out and I have:

For me:
Two loose nighties (that open at the front for breast feeding)
Dressing gown
1 comfy tracksuit (to go home in)
Slippers
5 pairs disposable knickers and three pairs normal knickers
Maternity pads
Nursing bra
breast pads
Nipple cream
Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo/conditioner, facewash, makeup)
Lucozade tablets

For baby:
(Midwife said the hospital will dress the baby in their baby gowns while is hosp)
going home outfit: mittens, hat, babygro, vest, blanket
Cotton wool
baby wipes

(extras: baby seat and our stem cell pack)

With a lot of help from Happy Chick

small pack of nappies
breastpads
san towels (maxi ultra ones)
breast cream
2 nighties/1pair of black pj's
disposable knickers & big knickers (about 4 of each)
Warm Socks
Going home outfit for me
4 baby gros
4 vests
2 hats
baby wipes (travel pack)
2 nursing bras
red towel
vest top in case I go in birthing pool
cotton wool
sample tub of sudocreme
toiletries and make up for me
snacks and drinks
money
towel for baby
snowsuit
bibs

Thanks for the responses...Sorry to sound really stupid :oops:

....but is the going home outfit for bubs like jeans and a jumper type thing? I was thinking that all you needed to do was keep them in some baby grows and just put them in a snowsuit! So the going home outfit goes on under the snowsuit? Also do you put the socks on under baby grows? I have totally no idea :shock: !

I never bothered putting socks on paris if she had a babygrow, can take them home in a sleepsuit doesn't matter :)

Warley said:
Thanks for the responses...Sorry to sound really stupid :oops:

....but is the going home outfit for bubs like jeans and a jumper type thing? I was thinking that all you needed to do was keep them in some baby grows and just put them in a snowsuit! So the going home outfit goes on under the snowsuit? Also do you put the socks on under baby grows? I have totally no idea :shock: !

I'm just putting bubs in a warm babygro with a vest underneath. Got scratch mittens and a warm hat too. Will wrap baby in a swaddle blanket for outside.

I never packed a towel should I? I kind of thought the hospital supplies those cant remember

nicola0531 said:
I never packed a towel should I? I kind of thought the hospital supplies those cant remember

I haven't packed a towel, just a little flannel for washing or mopping my brow during labour. I'm assuming hospital supplies towels too.

seems a good list from babycentre

What to pack for labour

• Your birth plan

• Dressing gown -- useful if you end up pacing hospital corridors in early labour

• Slippers

• Socks -- believe it or not, your feet can get cold during labour

• An old nightdress or a T shirt to wear in labour. It might get a bit messy, so don't buy anything specially to wear in hospital.

• Massage oil or lotion if you would like to be massaged during your labour

• Lip balm

• Snacks and drinks for you while you are in labour, or some glucose tablets to keep you going

• Watch with a second hand, to time contractions

• Digital camera or camcorder. If you want to bring a camcorder, check with the hospital beforehand -- not all of them allow them in delivery rooms.

• Relaxation materials: books, magazines, games etc.

• Pictures of someone or something you love (the inspiration you may need to see you through to the end)

• TENS pain relief machine if you are planning to use one

• Toiletries

• Water spray, or a hand-held fan to keep you cool

• Music to listen to -- take a battery-operated machine as most hospitals won't let you plug things in. Some hospitals provide their own CD players -- again, check first.
For your birth partner

• A change of clothes

• Snacks and drinks -- you don't want a dehydrated, hungry birth partner looking after you!
For after the birth

• Going-home outfit, and loose comfortable clothes to wear while you're in hospital. It will take a while for your tummy to go down so you'll be still wearing maternity clothes when you come home -- sorry!

• Nursing bras -- two or three

• Breast pads for when your milk comes in

• Maternity pads -- a couple of packs

• Nightshirt or T-shirt -- front opening shirts are useful for breastfeeding

• Toiletries

• Towels, hairbrush, toothbrush and toothpaste

• Old knickers/cheap knickers/disposable knickers -- don't bring your best ones as they will get messy. If you end up having a caesarean, the NCT does brilliant stretchy knickers that are comfortable over your scar.

• Arnica tablets to help with bruising after the birth. Although there's no conclusive evidence that they work, many women report that taking arnica helps reduce bruising and helps the healing process.

• Ear plugs, in case you end up on a noisy ward!

• Address book, plus lots of change or a prepaid phone card for all the calls you may want to make. You may find you cannot use your mobile phone in the hospital building.
For your baby

• An infant car seat -- some hospitals won't let you leave without one

• One outfit for the trip home (all-in-one stretchy outfits are easiest)

• Two to three babygros and vests for baby to wear while you are in hospital. Some hospitals provide baby gowns for your baby to wear during his stay.

• Baby blanket (a warm one if weather is cold)

• Nappies

• One pair of socks or booties

• Hat

• Jacket or snowsuit for winter babies.

• Muslin squares

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member