What will be your newborn's bed?

emilia

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I was wondering what everyone had in mind for the baby's first bed? I know Moses baskets are big in UK, but what else are you thinking of using? Will you just use cot from start?
I'm not sure if I should just use the carry cot of the pram for the first few months until baby is ready for cot.
Ideas welcome!!!! :wink:
Emilia x

Hiya, i have a Moses basket in our room for the baby until he about 6 months old. I think a newborn baby looks lost in a huge cot to start off with and would feel much more safe and cosy in a smaller bed such as moses basket/carry cot!!

love Steph and Bump x

Hi steph
Thanks for reply. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if the carry cot is going to be good enough as I can't find a shop here that sells baskets or cribs!!! I feel the same as you with regards to the cot.
I suppose we're quite spoilt these days with choice - no doubt our grans will tell us about babies sleeping in drawers!!!! :)
Regards
Emilia x

I dont like mosses baskets, the ones i have seen have been really small and flimsy.

I have been looking around for a crib, coz they are bigger and more sturdy so it will last longer.

But as i was passing a baby shop in tiwn i saw teh most incredible mosses basket, its massive!

I is bigger than a crib so the baby should last untill 4 or 5 months in it, instead of the normal, 2 to 3.

And its on wheels! so if she or he stirs i can rock she/him back to sleep. there is also an option to take teh wheels off and just have it on a stand.

It comes with its own matching bedding, i fell in love with it right away, put a depoist down, cant wait to bring it home :D

Hi Emilia

I've gone for a moses basket as we'll have baby in our room for the first couple of months. Carry cots I've heard are fine as long as baby can lie completely flat in them. Layla - I agree - the one I've got is pretty flimsy - wouldn't last beyond a couple of months. I was lucky in that I got it from a family member so I didn't pay anything for it, just bought a new mattress!

I've also read it's fine to use a cot from day 1, as baby will be completely swaddled anyway - also, you just put them in the bottom part of the cot (i.e. so their feet are still near the bottom) and that way they won't wriggle under the blanket too far!

LBxx

I've got a moses basket to use downstairs and a rocking crib for in our room. I haven't got space for the cot. I will use the cot when the baby is a few months old and in it's own room.

Yes, a Moses Basket beside our bed for the first few months ( they outgrow them really quickly, I remember my sister!) and then into the cot in the nursery. I suppose when you think about it that gives us a bit of leeway with having the nursery done, though I don't think we will be doing much decorating when the baby is here!

I thought that I might paint the room we're going to use yellow ( not too bright as it's a sunny room in the morning anyhow) and have a Calvin and Hobbes border and stickers/decals on the wall...board flooring, and inbuilt presses so that's about all we need to do really, apart from assembling the cot etc!

Sue

I have a rocking crib, which will be kept next to our bed for about 6 months. Later we will use a cot-bed.

I need to go out and buy matresses for both. Does anyone know anywhere cheap?

I need to go out and buy matresses for both. Does anyone know anywhere cheap?

My cot and crib mattress were both brand new in packaging from Ebay - definately loads cheaper. I got a Cosatto easy sleeper matress for £12 for my cot, which was a right bargain :)

im puttin bab in a cot straight away, i know they look lost but it will get it into a routine of sleeping in a cot because my mum found that my brother got too attached to his moses basket and wouldnt sleep in anything else and it was absolute hell for her to get him out of it. the cot will be for upstairs at bedtime in the day i'll take the baby out alot so it will be in its pram or bouncer chair etc..

i would have liked a crib for my bubs but have decided to put her straight in a cot due to me going back to the UK for 3 months when the baby is 6 weeks old, so she would not get the use out of a moses basket or crib.

we have got a moses basket (Not a flimsy one - it is like a real basket, its huge!)

Only because the babys bedroom is on a different floor, only until he gets into a regular sleeping pattern! see how we go

I feel very lucky! I am spending my hols in Pakistan, et I have found the perfect bed for me!!! it's a cot, it opens on the side and end, and there is a little bed to fit inside, like a crib which moves, like a rocking bed!!! and it was real cheap (£85), in pine, with a drawer fitted underneath and wheels if wanted!

It solved my problem, because I was hesitating as well!
Now, the new problem is to carry it back to UK!!! my sweet husband is the man for that, but I feel for him! 22 kg!!! :oops:

Would love to post a picture, but don't know how to do it! shorry!!!!

Take care

Mel XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back