What to wear for birth?

Sharcaz

Reaction score
Hey ladies...

First time mum and starting to plan for a hospital bag! If all goes to plan I'd love to have baby put on my chest and have skin to skin right away! What's the best clothing/pj's/nighty to wear for this dyou think?

Thanks!! xx

I wore a sports bra. Didn't care once I was in labour. I hadn't really planned on anything else - assumed I'd be naked!

My 1st labour I wore a maternity nighty from M&S that buttoned all the way down the front so I could undo the top for skin to skin. My second I wore a long black top in a lovely soft viscose fabric that covered my bum when standing. I just pulled it up for skin to skin. Loads of women end up naked and really don't care what they are wearing so that may well happen to you. I felt that way once pushing really got going but I had very long drawn out labours with bits that slowed right down so I was pleased to have something I felt comfortable in. Sitting there naked might have felt awkward when contractions slowed down to being 10mins apart, lol :). Black is a good choice as its likely to end up getting blood etc on it.

Last edited:
My 1st labour I wore a maternity nighty from M&S that buttoned all the way down the front so I could undo the top for skin to skin. My second I wore a long black top in a lovely soft viscose fabric that covered my bum when standing. I just pulled it up for skin to skin. Loads of women end up naked and really don't care what they are wearing so that may well happen to you. I felt that way once pushing really got going but I had very long drawn out labours with bits that slowed right down so I was pleased to have something I felt comfortable in. Sitting there naked might have felt awkward when contractions slowed down to being 10mins apart, lol :). Black is a good choice as its likely to end up getting blood etc on it.

Fab thank you! I had a little chuckle at the awkward part hehe! I'll definitely keep black in mind, makes sense! I might pack a couple of options to see what I'm most comfortable in when the time comes! No harm being prepared I guess?? :)

Thanks for your replies ladies! xx

I took my own nighties in, not for breastfeeding but wanted skin to skin
Well they put me in a hospital gown anyway so it made no difference although I suppose I had spare nighties to wear for my hospital stay.

Take something comfortable though maybe with buttons down the front? However don't worry about dignity as you will leave that at the door :) x

Well they put me in a hospital gown anyway so it made no difference although I suppose I had spare nighties to wear for my hospital stay.

Take something comfortable though maybe with buttons down the front? However don't worry about dignity as you will leave that at the door :) x

Haha excellent advice on the dignity side of things...I'm not expecting childbirth to be glamorous ;) I'll get a couple of nighties closer to the time to see how big my bump gets!! xx

Haha excellent advice on the dignity side of things...I'm not expecting childbirth to be glamorous ;) I'll get a couple of nighties closer to the time to see how big my bump gets!! xx

I had to buy some nighties in general, normally a size 12 and I had to get size 20-22 to go over my bump ...luckily they still fit over it (they hang off everything else though lol) so hopefully wear it in in hospital after birth. But for skin to skin you need buttons or a strappy vest top x

I wore a nightie. That I still have and it's super special to me however it did end up over my head for skin to skin so the baps were out anyway :lol:

This time I am taking a couple things a tankini or sports bra and pants for the water and a nighty and a long cami/maxi from primark. I got a plain blue one and it's so light and be ideal so are the camis and only a couple quid.

xxxxx

I just had a strappy vest top on which got ripped off by the midwife! Just go with whatever your comfortable in xx

I wore a button down nightie which was perfect. It was loose enough to come right up for any checks I needed done and when it came to pushing. I also ended up in theatre but they left that on because it was like a hospital gown anyway. It buttoned right down the front so when he was born they just popped my little man inside. I'll definitely do the same for next time! And like RM I've kept it in my baby box, feels very special to me xx

I ended up only wearing my pj top which I lifted when he was born and he latched on right away. You won't care when in labour - I just went with what I was wearing I was so sore to care

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions ladies! I'm definitely not feeling so concerned about it now - more of a go with the flow and just pack something comfortable for after birth when I'm more bothered?? :) hehe thanks! xx

This is my 3rd baby. I buy larger size nighties that are long I found great ones on "older" lady websites like.marisota and M&S. Had my nursing bra on ready.

This is my 3rd baby. I buy larger size nighties that are long I found great ones on "older" lady websites like.marisota and M&S. Had my nursing bra on ready.

Oh brilliant thank you ill have a nosey! xx

I wore my maternity bra and a night from primark that buttoned down the front for skin to skin. Xx

I spent loads of time carefully choosing nighties etc and ended up naked haha. This time, I am kind of holding out hope for a water birth so bringing a bikini top, but also just a sports bra and a loose fitting top I think. x

I took bikini top as wanted water birth but as i was introduced i took some button uo nighties from primark. I then ended up in a hospital gown as i had an epidural.

Thanks ladies...I've packed button up nighties but sounds like whatever will happen will happen hehe! Got a nice dressing gown and slippers...and some baggy comfy pj's for later on :) xx

I took nighties, pjs and a dressing gown and ended up in just a hospital gown, with all the poking and prodding I soon didn't care and it was easier all round!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back